2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

None of this matters. Conspiracies are not needed either.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Good season from this team. Beside the usual drama with Alonso and Ocon. The car is much closer to the top than at the beginning of the year.
Ocon is becoming a very serious driver imo.

The concept of the car is interesting : not to much drag, gentle on the tyre...
Really looking forward to next year, and to see Gasly with it

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I have my reservations about Gasly. Ocon just needs to cut out his very bad weekends where he gets knocked out in Q1....

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 17:47
I have my reservations about Gasly. Ocon just needs to cut out his very bad weekends where he gets knocked out in Q1....
Yeah Gasly is a bit of unknown, so is Ocon without Alonso there to lead the way. The drivers delivering is next years challenge. The car will be good enough for 4th or better.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

AR3-GP wrote:
Can you develop ?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Spoutnik wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 23:57
AR3-GP wrote:
Can you develop ?
I know that the Alpha Tauri isn't exactly a Red Bull, but there was nothing inspiring about his driving this season.

I mentioned before that I felt that Albon, De Vries, and Russell drove worse cars when they were at Williams currently or in the past, yet managed to have more memorable moments. I cannot remember a single notable thing that Gasly did this year.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 00:08
Spoutnik wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
Can you develop ?
I know that the Alpha Tauri isn't exactly a Red Bull, but there was nothing inspiring about his driving this season.

I mentioned before that I felt that Albon, De Vries, and Russell drove worse cars when they were at Williams currently or in the past, yet managed to have more memorable moments. I cannot remember a single notable thing that Gasly did this year.
Agree with you about this year. Tsunoda was much closer and faster at times despite not being the sharpest knife imo...
But, Gasly showed some great things in 2018 and 2020 (I'm not talking about the fugazi win which was deserved by Sainz).
I'm undecided about him

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Spoutnik wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 00:12
AR3-GP wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

Can you develop ?

Agree with you about this year. Tsunoda was much closer and faster at times despite not being the sharpest knife imo...
But, Gasly showed some great things in 2018 and 2020 (I'm not talking about the fugazi win which was deserved by Sainz).
I'm undecided about him
Well I sure hope it's the 2018 and 2020 Gasly who shows up because when you have a midfield car, you need drivers who can give the car a result it doesn't deserve to have any podiums.

The fact that we are even having the discussion where we noted that he can be completely different driver at times (unlike people like Leclerc, Verstappen, Hamilton, Alonso), is exactly the worry. Which Gasly are we going to get?

Even at 40+, you never had doubts about which Alonso you were going to get.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 00:21
Spoutnik wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I'm undecided about him
Well I sure hope it's the 2018 and 2020 Gasly who shows up...

The fact that we are even having the discussion where we noted that he can be completely different driver at times (unlike people like Leclerc, Verstappen, Hamilton, Alonso), is exactly the worry. Which Gasly are we going to get?

Yes you are absolutely right that's why I was asking you I wondered if I'm the only one not hyped :lol: I think Alpine will get a very good qualifier from day one, I'm more skeptical on his race pace and awareness, whatever Galsy we see
The relationship with Ocon and the 100% french team can be a big factor to take into account too...

diffuser

Spoutnik wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 00:25
AR3-GP wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

I'm undecided about him

Yes you are absolutely right that's why I was asking you I wondered if I'm the only one not hyped :lol: I think Alpine will get a very good qualifier from day one, I'm more skeptical on his race pace and awareness, whatever Galsy we see
The relationship with Ocon and the 100% french team can be a big factor to take into account too...
We're not gonna have an answer to that here. That will happen next year. Gasly said the SAT car was over weight, no getting around that killing you race pace.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 01:52
Spoutnik wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

We're not gonna have an answer to that here. That will happen next year. Gasly said the SAT car was over weight, no getting around that killing you race pace.
It was still a better car than the Williams yet I honestly can't recall a single result of note for AT this year.

JordanMugen

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 02:00
It was still a better car than the Williams yet I honestly can't recall a single result of note for AT this year.
Yes AlphaTauri were anonymous this year, but we will see how Gasly and Ocon compare next season, I wouldn't blame Gasly for AlphaTauri being mediocre in 2022.

Alpine got the star driver they wanted -- Gasly -- so we will see how he goes in French racing blue! :D

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
diffuser wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

No point in crying over spilled milk right ?

Would they have been better off with Alonso and Piastri under contract with Alpine at Williams? Yes. Sadly Gasly is the Frenchman to save face with potential. Like I said, the Alpine car will be cabable of 4th maybe better next year. It's up to the drivers to deliver.
That being said, McLaren's drivers have the same challange and Piastri is starting from further back than Gasly(he may have more tallent than Gasly or maybe not) but definately less experience. If McLaren can fix thier weak front end, that car will have good race pace and Lando is a certainty while, for me Ocon isn't..

AMR is also in this group, the technical team has gotten stronger and will start delivering. Alonso will push that project forward and Lance will follow.
Haas will be stronger next year with more funding but it will also depends on how long it takes the Hulk to find his footing.

AlfaRomeo will to with better reliability from thier PU. Not sure how the Audi purchase will help.

4th will be tough next year.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

AR3-GP wrote:
diffuser wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

I just remember Gasly holding up Hamilton the whole race at Imola in a DRS train with his crazy top speed :lol:

RedNEO

diffuser wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 21:21
Looks like Alpine fired the lawyer responsible for the Piastri contract.

https://formula1news.co.uk/alpine-sack- ... r-scandal/
Maybe they will rehire the lawyer for accidentally doing good work because Otmar is now apparently delighted with the results :lol: