2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
harty71
harty71
0
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:03 am

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

RonMexico wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:38 pm
I think Hamilton has been especially conservative in relation to tyres for the last decade or so. He tends to want to go long on the harder compounds or in wet races he will stay on what he has until someone else acts as the guinea pig. Races like Brazil 2016 and Hungary 2021 really highlight the wet race side of things. There are many, many examples for the dry ones
This year though Russell on occasion has had better tyre management. It was the case in the opening race in Bahrain, others off the top of my head are Australia, Imola, Mexico, I'm sure there's more if you delve in to it.

I for the life of me can't recall Bottas ever being better on the tyres than Hamilton, not even one race?

DGP123
DGP123
0
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:31 pm

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

harty71 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:41 pm
RonMexico wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:38 pm
I think Hamilton has been especially conservative in relation to tyres for the last decade or so. He tends to want to go long on the harder compounds or in wet races he will stay on what he has until someone else acts as the guinea pig. Races like Brazil 2016 and Hungary 2021 really highlight the wet race side of things. There are many, many examples for the dry ones
This year though Russell on occasion has had better tyre management. It was the case in the opening race in Bahrain, others off the top of my head are Australia, Imola, Mexico, I'm sure there's more if you delve in to it.
Hamilton had Russell in his pocket in Bahrain, he was comfortably ahead, and finished ahead. Australia?????? Hamilton was comfortably ahead in that race. Russell struggling, went long, and fluked a safety car (AS HE DID IN MIAMI & ZANDVOORT). In Mexico, MERCEDES called Hamilton in to COVER off Perez. Hamilton’s tyres were still good, he could of done what Russell did and went longer, but Mercedes ballsed it up.
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Missed a bit when removing personal comments

harty71
harty71
0
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:03 am

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

DGP123 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:32 pm
harty71 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:41 pm
RonMexico wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:38 pm
I think Hamilton has been especially conservative in relation to tyres for the last decade or so. He tends to want to go long on the harder compounds or in wet races he will stay on what he has until someone else acts as the guinea pig. Races like Brazil 2016 and Hungary 2021 really highlight the wet race side of things. There are many, many examples for the dry ones
This year though Russell on occasion has had better tyre management. It was the case in the opening race in Bahrain, others off the top of my head are Australia, Imola, Mexico, I'm sure there's more if you delve in to it.
Absolute nonsense. Hamilton had Russell in his pocket in Bahrain, he was comfortably ahead, and finished ahead. Australia?????? Oh my god. You’re a troll. Hamilton was comfortably ahead in that race. Russell struggling, went long, and fluked a safety car (AS HE DID IN MIAMI & ZANDVOORT). In Mexico, MERCEDES called Hamilton in to COVER off Perez. Hamilton’s tyres were still good, he could of done what Russell did and went longer, but Mercedes ballsed it up.

You talk nonsense. It’s embarrassing. In my eyes, there’s nothing wrong with Lewis’s Q pace or race pace.
Watch the races again, if not check the lap comparisons here. Russell was catching Hamilton at the end of each stint at Bahrain, it was the same in Mexico recently.
Last edited by harty71 on Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

harty71
harty71
0
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:03 am

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post


zibby43
zibby43
611
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

caddy wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:56 pm
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... /10404080/
Mercedes believes a wind tunnel running deficit for Red Bull of more than 25 percent in 2023 could prove critical in helping it close up to the Formula 1 world champions.
People are really underestimating this reality when it comes to the question of how can Mercedes claw back 2-3 tenths in race trim in one off-season.

That’s exactly how. And RB will have less money, while Merc will have more.

All this compounds.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP
81
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 am

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

zibby43 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:36 am
caddy wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:56 pm
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... /10404080/
Mercedes believes a wind tunnel running deficit for Red Bull of more than 25 percent in 2023 could prove critical in helping it close up to the Formula 1 world champions.
People are really underestimating this reality when it comes to the question of how can Mercedes claw back 2-3 tenths in race trim in one off-season.

That’s exactly how. And RB will have less money, while Merc will have more.
Budget cap is the same for everyone. I'm not sure what you mean by the latter comment.

As for what a team does with 25-27% extra windtunnel time? Well, it's extremely non-trivial. After all, Mercedes started the season with a W13 which was well off the RB because they simply put inferior ideas into the WT, despite there being only a 5% difference in windtunnel time.

The WT is only as good as the ideas that go into it. So I don't think anyone is "underestimating" or "overstimating" for that matter. We just don't know at all. Why? because aero dev is non-linear. If one team finds a massive loophole in the regulations, they may find an amount of performance in the span of 1-2 WT runs that another team would take weeks of WT runs to find.

The only thing we really know is that Mercedes would find more laptime relative to themselves by having 25% more WT time than otherwise. How it correlates to any other team is more difficult to predict. After all, Williams should be lapping the field with their near 50% over-allowance. As it is, they are being lapped instead.

caddy
caddy
2
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:27 am

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

zibby43 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:36 am
caddy wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:56 pm
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... /10404080/
Mercedes believes a wind tunnel running deficit for Red Bull of more than 25 percent in 2023 could prove critical in helping it close up to the Formula 1 world champions.
People are really underestimating this reality when it comes to the question of how can Mercedes claw back 2-3 tenths in race trim in one off-season.

That’s exactly how. And RB will have less money, while Merc will have more.

All this compounds.
How exactly Merc will have more money than RB?

Does anyone know how much teams have spent on car damages and using of extra PUs this year? The remaining purse for developing 2023 car depends on that too.

User avatar
chrisc90
10
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:22 pm

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

Are these tunnel runs allocated on a weekly/monthly basis?
No Mikey Noo! No! Nooo Mikey! That was sooo not riiight!!

User avatar
chrisc90
10
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:22 pm

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... mJeP5lN3s4

Could be a good call for reserve driver. Who do Mercedes have now De Vries left?
No Mikey Noo! No! Nooo Mikey! That was sooo not riiight!!

caddy
caddy
2
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:27 am

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

chrisc90 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:45 am
Are these tunnel runs allocated on a weekly/monthly basis?
I couldn't find if there is a given weekly allowance. I could only find ATP periods for monitoring and the reports of runs should be reported as soon as an ATP period is completed. The only restriction I saw was that "only 2 shifts of RWTT Occupancy can be done on any calendar day".

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -12-08.pdf

Image

Image

Image

Redbull is going to get 202 runs where their RWTT Wind On Time is limited to 51 hours and RWTT Occupancy would be 252 hours.
Mercedes is going to get 256 runs where their RWTT Wnd On TIme is limited to 56 hours and RWTT Occupancy would be 320 hours.

Image
Last edited by caddy on Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

f1jcw
f1jcw
14
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:15 pm

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

chrisc90 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:10 pm
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... mJeP5lN3s4

Could be a good call for reserve driver. Who do Mercedes have now De Vries left?
would it be marketing driven. Lack of Germany drivers, might be popular a Schumacher being a member of the Merc team.

User avatar
chrisc90
10
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:22 pm

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/161864/h ... idden.html


When the car rental company isnt happy. Oops.
No Mikey Noo! No! Nooo Mikey! That was sooo not riiight!!

cplchanb
cplchanb
9
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:13 pm

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

chrisc90 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:24 pm
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/161864/h ... idden.html


When the car rental company isnt happy. Oops.
Ham will prob end up just swiping his Amex card to buy out the car. :lol:

cplchanb
cplchanb
9
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:13 pm

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

chrisc90 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:10 pm
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... mJeP5lN3s4

Could be a good call for reserve driver. Who do Mercedes have now De Vries left?
The other Esteban... but hes getting old. Mick would be a good choice.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP
81
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 am

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Post

Interesting comment from Alonso after running the Mercedes engine for the first time:
''When they told me the mileage of the engine, I was a bit worried. Because I said this number is a bit high compared to my standards (at Alpine). The engine is definitely outstanding,'' Alonso shares the compliments in advance.
Merc engine better than Renault engine at least.