McLaren F1 successor

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Morteza

Re: McLaren F1 successor

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Just_a_fan

Gordon Murray showing every other car maker how to do it. Small, light, restrained styling, and a still way fast enough for any sane person to need. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Holm86

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 19:25
Gordon Murray showing every other car maker how to do it. Small, light, restrained styling, and a still way fast enough for any sane person to need. =D>
I totally agree, and it's also the best sounding car at the moment i think.
Nobody needs 1700 hp on the streets, the power race between other manufacturers is rather dumb

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Morteza

Morteza

Morteza

Holm86

Morteza wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 18:27
https://youtu.be/jgZHrzo7SG4
When this and the Aston Martin Valkyrie were just concepts, I was much more excited by the Aston.

But now that they're both done, this car is so much cooler. It sounds so much better, looks better, and I'm sure it's so much nicer to drive as well.

vorticism

Holm86 wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 20:16
Morteza wrote:
When this and the Aston Martin Valkyrie were just concepts, I was much more excited by the Aston.

But now that they're both done, this car is so much cooler. It sounds so much better, looks better, and I'm sure it's so much nicer to drive as well.
Yeah, the difference in sound is interesting. Both V12s spinning over 10k RPM, yet... The Valkyrie ended up being more of a prototype racer in terms of construction (stressed drivetrain) and aesthetics (exhaust tuned *not* for sound), and the T50 became a sort of slightly luxurious GT in the vein of old Ferraris. The look of the T50 is more of a traditional road car (soap bar shaped) while the Valkyrie was a more ambitious automotive sculpture (big tunnels).
𓄀

Holm86

vorticism wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 23:20
Holm86 wrote:
Morteza wrote:

Yeah, the difference in sound is interesting. Both V12s spinning over 10k RPM, yet... The Valkyrie ended up being more of a prototype racer in terms of construction (stressed drivetrain) and aesthetics (exhaust tuned *not* for sound), and the T50 became a sort of slightly luxurious GT in the vein of old Ferraris. The look of the T50 is more of a traditional road car (soap bar shaped) while the Valkyrie was a more ambitious automotive sculpture (big tunnels).
But the T50 ended up being on target with its weight as far as I know, the Valkyrie was supposed to be 1000 kg too, but ended up gaining over 200kg, I believe it ended up at around 1270kg, I really dont understand how they ended up that heavy, with all that carbon and titanium, and the engine being stressed etc.

vorticism

Holm86 wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 23:45
vorticism wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 23:20
Holm86 wrote:

But the T50 ended up being on target with its weight as far as I know, the Valkyrie was supposed to be 1000 kg too, but ended up gaining over 200kg, I believe it ended up at around 1270kg, I really dont understand how they ended up that heavy, with all that carbon and titanium, and the engine being stressed etc.
Homologating to road regs probably. OT but a 20% miss (if not just a press meme) implies to me that certain metrics were never promised to buyers in any formal contractual way. Aston Martin is a different entity than GMA, so corporate processes may have spun out of control. Once one area arrives out of spec, it throws the rest off depending on when it happens during the product dev schedule; the interplay of chassis rigidity & weight--engine p:w & output--crash test results--tire supplier--cost cutting--etc.

GMA with smaller staff and new structure and a clear outset of supplying an automotive Swiss watch may have had an easier assignment; not that it matters. Weight was their main target, and they didn't try nor need to reinvent the wheel in terms of packaging and layout. GMA was playing on their own strengths; AM & RB went into more uncharted waters.
𓄀

Moctecus

Holm86 wrote:
But the T50 ended up being on target with its weight as far as I know, the Valkyrie was supposed to be 1000 kg too, but ended up gaining over 200kg, I believe it ended up at around 1270kg
The Valkyrie is massively overweight compared to the 1000 kg they initially promised. They eventually resorted to only quoting the 1270 kg dry weight in public. The wet weight given in the owner's manual is 1355 kg (excluding fuel and driver). They missed their weight target by about the same amount as AMG with the 1695 kg DIN One (1300 kg target).
From what has been reported, Aston Martin really struggled with the complex electronics and the integration of hybrid system. The track-only AMR Pro, which doesn't have active suspension, active aero, or KERS, was apparently unproblematic. And it appears to have hit its weight target, too.
Relative simplicity is really the key of the T.50. AM with the Valkyrie and AMG with the One struggled to make their extreme, hyper-complex machines work at all. GMA took a proven concept and tried to make it better.

vorticism

He's says the track edition is 200 kg lighter than current LMP cars.

𓄀

Holm86

I really really like this car, sounds so good, and seems so everyday usable.

I think Gordon is absolutely right, it's not about maximum horsepower, maximum top speed or 0-60, this is a real driver's car