Mercedes W14 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Stu

Re: Mercedes W14 Speculation Thread

Venturiation wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 15:58
I tought this forum was more technical, but some users like in this thread all they do is concern trolling and whataboutism and of course most have a Redbull profile picture :lol:
“Whataboutism”? It’s a speculation thread, it’s all whataboutery and conjecture.
“Trolling”? Pointing out a perception of weakness is not trolling.

Last year showed up the weakness in the team and no whataboutery even got close to predicting the uniqueness of the W13.
Big fans of the team were very confident when the final version was first seen in testing & even more confident that the team would overcome issues very quickly.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Venturiation
Venturiation

btw i don't see them keeping the same sidepods there will be change maybe not totally different but smaller changes to improve the weaker area based on their data

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Venturiation wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 16:15
Stu wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 16:10
Venturiation wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 15:58
I tought this forum was more technical, but some users like in this thread all they do is concern trolling and whataboutism and of course most have a Redbull profile picture :lol:
“Whataboutism”? It’s a speculation thread, it’s all whataboutery and conjecture.
“Trolling”? Pointing out a perception of weakness is not trolling.

Last year showed up the weakness in the team and no whataboutery even got close to predicting the uniqueness of the W13.
Big fans of the team were very confident when the final version was first seen in testing & even more confident that the team would overcome issues very quickly.
but it doesn't make sense to say that any change to the sidpods means that the team is a failure and they had wrong concept
so every team that now updates their car means the previous is car is failure and was the wrong direction?
and he keeps repeating the same thing over and over even when most have said that the sidpods don't matter that much

btw i don't see them keeping the same sidepods there will be change maybe not totally different but smaller changes to improve the weaker area based on their data
Toto Wollf said the car shown to him in the windtunnel didn't look much different to the W13 (which is a clear indicator that the sidepods are the same). The engineers said the changes were underneath.

With all that said, there was a report of a very late design change, (which could be the sidepods? but I'm only speculating)

Venturiation
Venturiation

Toto Wollf said the car shown to him in the windtunnel didn't look much different to the W13. The engineers said the changes were underneath.
but this was during the season, in the abu dhabi race
during the winter i think they would have changed something even if not big

or maybe because of the budget cap they prefer to keep exactly the same sidepods to spend the budget elese since they think sidepods weren"t the issue

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Venturiation wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 16:36
Toto Wollf said the car shown to him in the windtunnel didn't look much different to the W13. The engineers said the changes were underneath.

or maybe because of the budget cap they prefer to keep exactly the same sidepods to spend the budget elese since they think sidepods weren"t the issue
Abu Dhabi was in the end of November. It's not that long ago.

chrisc90

Venturiation wrote:

He actually said that very early January. https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-wolf ... 14-design/

Venturiation
Venturiation

AR3-GP wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 16:38
Venturiation wrote:

Abu Dhabi was in the end of November. It's not that long ago.
but during winter you start thinking about upgrades
just like last year they brought the update late with sidepods
some teams bring those updates at testing some at the 1st race

Venturiation
Venturiation

chrisc90 wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 16:48
Venturiation wrote:

He actually said that very early January. https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-wolf ... 14-design/
no he didn't that's just some news site recycling old stuff

you can see here https://racingnews365.com/wolff-reveals ... mid-season

He hinted at a car which retained the 'zero sidepod' idea to challenge next season's RB19 from Milton Keynes.

"I go in the wind tunnel, and I say: 'That thing looks exactly like this year's car'," he explained to media, including RacingNews365.com,in Abu Dhabi.

"But they say to me: 'It's very different underneath'.

"It is about the airflow, the weight distribution, the aero map.

"Our car fundamentally changed mid-year - we changed the concept but you couldn't see anything on the bodywork.

"I think the narrow sidepod concept is like a red herring.

"It's full of surprises the last time I saw it in the wind-tunnel, but they told me it is not the same."

Henri
Henri

Merc need to find 1.2 sec in order to be competitive. With ferrari and red bull

Venturiation
Venturiation

Henri wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 17:29
Merc need to find 1.2 sec in order to be competitive. With ferrari and red bull
they need more than that, last year they were 1 second slower and the other teams will find big gains this season

if the rumors about the ferrari 1 second faster is true then mercedes needs more than 2 seconds just to match it :shock:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Venturiation wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 16:55
chrisc90 wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 16:48
Venturiation wrote:

no he didn't that's just some news site recycling old stuff

you can see here https://racingnews365.com/wolff-reveals ... mid-season

He hinted at a car which retained the 'zero sidepod' idea to challenge next season's RB19 from Milton Keynes.

"I go in the wind tunnel, and I say: 'That thing looks exactly like this year's car'," he explained to media, including RacingNews365.com,in Abu Dhabi.

"But they say to me: 'It's very different underneath'.

"It is about the airflow, the weight distribution, the aero map.

"Our car fundamentally changed mid-year - we changed the concept but you couldn't see anything on the bodywork.

"I think the narrow sidepod concept is like a red herring.

"It's full of surprises the last time I saw it in the wind-tunnel, but they told me it is not the same."
From the bolded comments, its very clear the sidepods are the same.

atanatizante

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 09:37
PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 05:07
Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 10:02
1) all other things being equal, the lightest car will win
2) all other things being equal, the car with lowest CoG will win
3) all other things being equal, the car with the most centralised mass (lowest moment of inertia) will win
Wasn't lowest Cog as a big factor thrown put years ago?

Certainly dismissed by Adrian Newey with his high rake cars and his boat bottomed Valkyrie.

Another high CoG car were those renaults with the top mounted intercoolers.
I seem to note "all other things being equal" ahead of mass, CoG and centralised mass. All other things include downforce, drag, balance, power, driver, etc...

Also, I wouldn't take Renaults after 2006 as an indicator of performance.

I`m a little bit off-topic, but Vanja could you please explain if the "lip" in front of the RB18`s side pod air intake is near the CoG (or maybe CoP) and with its slope is adding downforce in those above-mentioned strategic points of the car?

Thanx in advance!
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

organic

atanatizante wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 17:55
Vanja #66 wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 09:37
PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 05:07

Wasn't lowest Cog as a big factor thrown put years ago?

Certainly dismissed by Adrian Newey with his high rake cars and his boat bottomed Valkyrie.

Another high CoG car were those renaults with the top mounted intercoolers.
I seem to note "all other things being equal" ahead of mass, CoG and centralised mass. All other things include downforce, drag, balance, power, driver, etc...

Also, I wouldn't take Renaults after 2006 as an indicator of performance.

I`m a little bit off-topic, but Vanja could you please explain if the "lip" in front of the RB18`s side pod air intake is near the CoG (or maybe CoP) and with its slope is adding downforce in those above-mentioned strategic points of the car?

Thanx in advance!
The RB18 video by Kyle engineers covers the extended lower sidepod inlet lip in some detail. Skip to 17:00 or so:

Chuckjr

mendis wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 15:46
Chuckjr wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 11:40
The good thing for Mercedes is they likely have more and bigger performance chunks to gain over Redbull. Redbull had a good design and now can only really incrementally refine it. Mercedes had big problems to solve which all things bring equal will free up more performance.

You don’t know if Merc have bigger performance chunks to gain. That’s an illusion in your head built by people here who think there’s some kida special magic in turd pods — most are die hard fans of the team, fwiw. For all we know RB will find much larger performance chunks than anybody. Incremental refinement is relative. Neweys incremental refinement may be 3 seconds or more by the end of season.
I never understood why people think the car behind on performance, has more margin for development. Just because a car is behind, doesn't automatically makes it a solution that has more potential to gain performance.
Those two sentences. Bueno. Exactly right. That’s also one of the HUGE illusions about the Merc...simply because it looks so different means it has so much more potential. Hogwash.
Watching F1 since 1986.

PlatinumZealot

Venturiation wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 16:15

The side pods gave the car the strongest low speed downforce... That's certainly an advantage you want to keep. The downside of the zero pods was a floppy floor which created huge amounts of drag becausw to fix it the set-up had to be compromised. That's why if Mercedes can engineer out the issues with the floor they could be contenders.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 12 Feb 2023, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏