Aston Martin AMR23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JordanMugen

Re: Aston Martin AMR23

The front wing seems unusual, being loaded so far outboard, but other than that this Aston Martin looks very conventional in the first viewing. The sidepods remind me of the first or second iteration of last season's Alpine.

Andi76
Andi76

snajam wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 00:13
I find it rather unfair to Alpine that their sidepod is/was referred to a rb/ferrari concept. They launched with spec similar to rb and made it aggressive in their own direction in which the undercut became naturally like RB. The valley and ramp down was their own direction

Any side pod with a shoulder doesn't copy the ferrari concept. The ferrari has no downwash to the diff, to the naked eye, a spillover bowl or a high pressure area. No team apart from haas has intended to do the same in the past 2 years.

This is an RB/Alpine mix conceptually, but far more aggressive and cleanly executed than the last year's Alpine.

In comparison the mcl and Williams look like quite blatant, vanilla copies of the rb18, exactly what the amr22b was.

I also think that the launch car has an old floor.
Why should that be unfair? It is quite normal to name the most successful team when others adopt the same solution. Alpines ramp-down solution at the beginning of 2022 was there, yes, but Red Bulls was more aggressive, if i remember correctly. And Alpine later copied it, if memory serves, but maybe i am wrong in that regard. But anyway - Alpine didn't have a "canyon" or "bathtub" either. Until they copied Ferrari. It doesn't matter whether Ferrari has downwash to the diff or not. The fact is that at the beginning of 2022, no one had the idea of wasting a second on a solution that avoided spill-over until they saw it on the Ferrari.... So it's a fact that this canyon/bathtub was invented by Ferrari (if you want to be precise, this idea came from Rory Byrne, who first used it on the Benetton B194 and later on the Ferrari F399, and who advised Ferrari on the design of the F1-75 - so it is more than clear where this "concept" comes from
and to attribute the "modern variant" Ferrari also completely correct) and Alpine copied it during 2022 and merged it with Red Bull's more extreme ramp-down solution. So there is nothing "unfair" about it. Ferrari("Canyon")and Red Bull(extreme "ramp-down") invented it and Alpine copied it in 2022(even though they admittedly already started with a ramp-down solution). But ultimately it is fair and square to speak of Ferrari and Red Bull as the originators.

organic

Kyle's thoughts on the AMR23

RedNEO

Vanja #66

RedNEO wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 11:02
Not surprised, car looks to be very refinedy very thought-out. Some interesting details (deep but aggressive sidepod outwash) tell us the team knows exactly what they want to do and know how to do it.

Would not be surprised with P4 in WCC in the end
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

snajam
snajam

I have no doubt this car will be in front of the midfield once they find the working window. It has the ingredients

I am in the aero industry and one thing stuck with me from a few years back. Where i was working at a German manufacturers motorsport Dep, the head aero (who held a senior aero position at RB in Sebs dominant period) told me that if you really want to learn Aerodynamics, go to RB and work under Dan Fallows. Backed up by how desperately RB wanted to hold onto Fallows as compared to Prodromou, I believe this guy is no slouch and his confidence at the launch does seem to suggest they know what they're doing this year.

I hope it all lives up to the hype

PABLOEING
PABLOEING

Amazing work

Mansell89
Mansell89

Anyone think Aston has some comparability to the Ferrari in terms of the ramp?

The front on views of both cars I thought was interesting in terms of similarity.

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

K1Plus
K1Plus

snajam wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 11:16
I have no doubt this car will be in front of the midfield once they find the working window. It has the ingredients

I am in the aero industry and one thing stuck with me from a few years back. Where i was working at a German manufacturers motorsport Dep, the head aero (who held a senior aero position at RB in Sebs dominant period) told me that if you really want to learn Aerodynamics, go to RB and work under Dan Fallows. Backed up by how desperately RB wanted to hold onto Fallows as compared to Prodromou, I believe this guy is no slouch and his confidence at the launch does seem to suggest they know what they're doing this year.

I hope it all lives up to the hype
No wonder. Both Fallows and Blandin are the biggest names in the industry when it comes to being aero chiefs. They know what direction the car has to follow in terms of AMR23. It looks the most refined out of the cars revealed so far, apart from Ferrari of course.

hollus

Many of these posts are team thread posts, guys. They might get moved there. If it is not about the hardware —> Team thread. If it is about championship position, definitively —> team thread!
Rivals, not enemies.

rgimblett
rgimblett

Why is there a difference in the splitter left side versus right side?
Look in the area coloured red.

yinlad

rgimblett wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 20:26
https://i.imgur.com/BcUMJSB.jpg

Why is there a difference in the splitter left side versus right side?
Look in the area coloured red.
Just a lighting difference, it'll be symmetric I'm sure

Edit: I think the shadow had been included in the cut out car on the left
MVRC - Panthera

Mansell89
Mansell89

Bit of an amateur question about the Merc rear suspension that they purchase as a listed part- is it a “fixed” iteration, I.E the same suspension for both teams? Or can there be modification or differences between what each team want?

Mod edit - off topic content removed.
Team, personnel, facility talk belongs in the Team thread

Alonso Fan

Mansell89 wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 00:14

Bit of an amateur question about the Merc rear suspension that they purchase as a listed part- is it a “fixed” iteration, I.E the same suspension for both teams? Or can there be modification or differences between what each team want?
As far as I know AM make their own suspension but are limited by mounting points because they buy mercs gearbox and casing
Last edited by Stu on 15 Feb 2023, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic content removed
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa