2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980
Ben1980

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

McL-H wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 12:07
Our real car will come in Baku is now said. That means the team is chasing the competition 2 months back, as if the other teams are not improving. They don’t sit still either. If we are in 6th, 7th or even 8th next week, you can forget about 4th in Baku and can forget about 4th this year overall. Especially if the AM is living up to expectations. You can’t play catch up in current F1. You got to be there when the season starts.

Better just speed up the delivery of the wind tunnel, finish 10th mid-season so we get full wind tunnel and CFD time, zak James Key, reel in Binotto, use remainder of 2023 as a test season and shift all focus to 2024 making full use of the new facilities. No use in playing catch up AGAIN this year so that we’re on the backfoot for next year too. I don’t care about having a car for P4 by the end of the season if it means we still lose against Daddy Stroll or Alpine and we’re on the back foot again for 2024. I know it’s too complicated as the team needs to keep owners, sponsors and fans happy, but I believe performance wise that’s the best road to success right now.
You make it sound so simple.

McL-H
McL-H

the EDGE wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 12:16
If they can get on the correct path with the Mcl60B, then there’s every chance of catching up by then
Why do you think so? Baku is in April. Season will be long underway then. They will need to learn and understand their MCL60B (although Stella doesn’t want to call it a B-car). That will take time, where current testing is largely meant for. While in April they are figuring out how their new car works, AM and Alpine will actually be developing their ones further. You play catch up and maybe you’ve catched up come Abu Dhabi. What’s the point?

It is a fruitless adventure imo. I hope you are right and I’m wrong. But I just don’t see it.

mclaren111

McL-H wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 12:42
the EDGE wrote:
If they can get on the correct path with the Mcl60B, then there’s every chance of catching up by then
Why do you think so? Baku is in April. Season will be long underway then. They will need to learn and understand their MCL60B (although Stella doesn’t want to call it a B-car). That will take time, where current testing is largely meant for. While in April they are figuring out how their new car works, AM and Alpine will actually be developing their ones further. You play catch up and maybe you’ve catched up come Abu Dhabi. What’s the point?

It is a fruitless adventure imo. I hope you are right and I’m wrong. But I just don’t see it.

Agree... MCL60B should be the base for 2024 & 2023 must be used as such...

Slahinki
Slahinki

McL-H wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

Baku may be in April, but it's still only race 4 of 23.

McL-H
McL-H

Slahinki wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 13:24
McL-H wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

Baku may be in April, but it's still only race 4 of 23.
Correct. But development time is not measured in number of races, but in months. The season takes 10 months incl testing and 2 of those are already gone by Baku. Most teams will bring their final updates beginning of September, so let’s say 7 months of development from now on. It means the team will have squandered 28% of their time by Baku. It’s a lot. Hopefully they will have a good base then for 2024, but this season is a goner in terms of finishing 4th.

Macklaren
Macklaren

ALRIGHT PEOPLE! Prediction time!

I am more excited about this season than at this point in any of the last 5 years. I think we will finish with both cars in the P8-12 range for the first 3 races until the B-spec car puts us clearly in P5-8 and consistently challenging Mercedes.

You heard it here first and if I'm right, I'd like to be appointed Grand Wizard of this place please. Okthxbye

MrGapes

Macklaren wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 13:50

I am more excited about this season than at this point in any of the last 5 years. I think we will finish with both cars in the P8-12 range for the first 3 races until the B-spec car puts us clearly in P5-8 and consistently challenging Mercedes.

You heard it here first and if I'm right, I'd like to be appointed Grand Wizard of this place please. Okthxbye
f**k it.. some off us have to be the delusional light in this forum full of downers, I will join you on this journey

mclaren111

Macklaren wrote:

=D> :lol: :lol: =D>

EddyBaggio

Macklaren wrote:

:lol:

Ben1980
Ben1980

I reckon Lando makes q3 first few races comes 10th. Oscar around 13th.

Slahinki
Slahinki

McL-H wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 13:43

but this season is a goner in terms of finishing 4th.
There's literally no way of knowing this as of now, calm down. At this point last year the predictions from you over dramatic lot was we finish last yet we barely lost out on 4th, and only did so towards the end of the season.

Chicane
Chicane

When you make a big course correction regarding aerodynamic direction, three fourth of the way in to development you are not only going to be playing catch up all season long but also end up compromising the development schedule of next year's car as well. It is not just about time but the fact that a cost cap is in place makes it really challenging to manage their resource allocation.
Quickshifter

McL-H
McL-H

Slahinki wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 14:23
McL-H wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 13:43

but this season is a goner in terms of finishing 4th.
There's literally no way of knowing this as of now, calm down. At this point last year the predictions from you over dramatic lot was we finish last yet we barely lost out on 4th, and only did so towards the end of the season.
Last year, car was reasonably good, had just one major issue holding us back that the team learned to work around quite quickly. Team did great, but it was an enormous blunder then too. Besides it was a rule overhaul that caused more teams to miss the boat and there being lots of time to be won with relatively small changes. Most cars are an evolution now. Most teams are better prepared. There is less time to be won. You can’t compare this season to last. This is not 2009 or 2022. The competition doesn’t consist out of a bunch of imbeciles. If we’re late they’ll just start the party without us. They ain’t waiting 2 months to perfect their moves and improve on the choreography.

McL-H
McL-H

Chicane wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 14:25
When you make a big course correction regarding aerodynamic direction, three fourth of the way in to development you are not only going to be playing catch up all season long but also end up compromising the development schedule of next year's car as well. It is not just about time but the fact that a cost cap is in place makes it really challenging to manage their resource allocation.
Exactly this. You either compromise this year or next year when you’re on the back foot in current F1.

CjC
CjC

McL-H wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 14:46
Chicane wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 14:25
Exactly this. You either compromise this year or next year when you’re on the back foot in current F1.
To both posters…. Aren’t the current cars just an evolution of their predecessors though?
So any development done to the 23 car, especially aero could be carried over to the 24 car?
Just a fan's point of view