McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: McLaren MCL60

By "using" them, clearly they meant leaving them in the background of social media posts to drive conversations here :D

PhillipM
PhillipM

organic wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 14:47
By "using" them, clearly they meant leaving them in the background of social media posts to drive conversations here :D
I mean they're not above trolling here, see the blurry floor video....I'd like it if I wasn't used for it though :wink:

Balalu
Balalu

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 13:50
Wow we have a barn door in comparison
Bright orange vs dark colours doesn't help.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

wogx

Dynamic ads at McLaren: cockpit displays, tested last season in Austin, will be present in the MCL60 #viaF1
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

organic

190g each apparently :)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Difference in the Tunnel Entrance vs the MCL36. The Tunnel opening is now taller than in previous the season, therefore increasing the amount of air volume, it would be seem the second first inner fence which was taller the the tunnel to create a vortex along the floor is now shorten to tunnel height… Also to note the difference in outer fence versus previous year:

I can’t remember where I got the MCL36 picture from, the MCL60 via AMUS

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

The MCL60 ready for Bahrain Practice:

Vía: Albert Fabrega

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Strange. For some reason I thought there was no rear stay initially. Clearly must have done all this time. I do wonder if we are producing enough floor DF.
Also are the slot gaps on the outside trailing edge of the front wing new?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 18:11
Strange. For some reason I thought there was no rear stay initially. Clearly must have done all this time. I do wonder if we are producing enough floor DF.
They are the same as in testing, as well as the gurney flap in the front wing… The stays in the floor where there in testing also.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 18:13
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
They are the same as in testing, as well as the gurney flap in the front wing… The stays in the floor where there in testing also.
Ya you’re right looking back at pictures. it’s a good looking car imho. It’s got the attributes I expected to see. Seems quite modular. Just don’t know how much DF that floor produces in comparison to competition. It’s the key to unlocking performance above the floor too

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 18:15
SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 18:13
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
Ya you’re right looking back at pictures. it’s a good looking car imho. It’s got the attributes I expected to see. Seems quite modular. Just don’t know how much DF that floor produces in comparison to competition. It’s the key to unlocking performance above the floor too
Yes, it will depend on how low they can run the car… The new floor is a different concept (even when the floor edge is the same / similar to the MCL36) so they are probably still learning about it too… The new geometry of both the tunnel entrance, as well as the fences (which are all different this year) implies a learning period, the new floor height also plays a role.

Morteza

Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:McLaren changed the shape of their air/air intercooler (blue) & the ducting from compressor to rad (yellow). Cooling was forward on MCL36 > long ducting. On MCL60 they pushed the sidepod cooling back, but the duct is still long as it runs along cooler.
Last edited by Morteza on 02 Mar 2023, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Macklaren
Macklaren

mclaren111 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 13:59
In the picture above posted by organic it looks better...
yeah are they trying two different rear wings for comparison? clearly looks different between the pics though I cant tell if its the angle

Holm86

Morteza wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 18:47
Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:McLaren changed the shape of their air/air intercooler (blue) & the ducting from compressor to rad (yellow). Cooling was forward on MCL36 > long ducting. On MCL60 they pushed the sidepod cooling back, but the duct is still long as it runs along cooler.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqOqawAXoA4 ... name=large
Didn't they switch form air/air to air/water intercoolers?

trinidefender
trinidefender

Vanja #66 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 11:32
Very high inner floor inlet and also looking like very high tunnels. Are they are not yet ready to lower those tunnels and get some decent floor downforce?
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the majority of the tunnels airflow comes from the area next to the T-tray? All the airflow outboards of the innermost set of vanes gets pushed outboard to the sides of the floor.

If this is true then it looks like while yes the mouth may be high, it is also very very narrow at the section feeding the diffuser tunnels. This narrow but tall section can quite easily be turned into a flat but wide section right behind it through the use of the shaping of the vanes, the floor itself and the vertical section of floor next to the plank.

What am I missing?

**Edit. Nevermind, I reread your post and realised you were talking about the height of the diffuser throat and not mouth. Mea culpa.
Last edited by trinidefender on 02 Mar 2023, 19:11, edited 2 times in total.