Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Re: Mercedes W14

Farnborough wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 22:26
AR3-GP wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 22:18
vorticism wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 21:58
It should generate something like a Y250 vortex, just higher up, further back and smaller. The RB14/15/16 had a downwashing wing in the same area. Maybe the W14 version is more aggressive. All teams currently use sidepod downwash/outwash generating sidepod vortex generators. Question is, what does a larger one offer to the W14?

https://i.postimg.cc/c12RJ35j/IMG-8859.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/tC6hngKg/IMG-8860.jpg
It's funny seeing these pictures. The W14 is very similar in it's shape in the mid-section to the pre-2019 RB/Merc formula cars.
Try looking at all plan view of mercedes F1 since Brawn year, the concept hasn't really changed.

Notably they've always avoided rake (they've all got to effectively work with it now in the tunnel angle underfloor) Wolf even joked about the RB "driving around doing a handstand" while that raked floor concept was building experience over in RB design direction.
Willem Toet claimed rake wasn’t about trying to create more floor df but a balance thing.

About 57:00 in.
https://www.youtube.com/live/kixMMfEQ-FA?feature=share
Last edited by Hoffman900 on 20 Mar 2023, 22:39, edited 2 times in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Hoffman900 wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 22:36
Farnborough wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

It's funny seeing these pictures. The W14 is very similar in it's shape in the mid-section to the pre-2019 RB/Merc formula cars.
Try looking at all plan view of mercedes F1 since Brawn year, the concept hasn't really changed.

Notably they've always avoided rake (they've all got to effectively work with it now in the tunnel angle underfloor) Wolf even joked about the RB "driving around doing a handstand" while that raked floor concept was building experience over in RB design direction.
Willem Toet claimed rake wasn’t about trying to create more floor df but a balance thing.
Rake means different things for different cars from different generations.

In the interest of staying on topic, I'll leave it that.

maxxer
maxxer

why have zero pods and then put a neck pillow on top ?

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 22:37
Hoffman900 wrote:
Farnborough wrote:

Rake means different things for different cars from different generations.

In the interest of staying on topic, I'll leave it that.
I’m pointing out that much on the cars from 2021 and previous don’t apply and there is no sense in looking at them.

Even the old ground effects cars. The current floors are ingesting air in front of the rear wheels as well, unlike the skirt era cars.
Last edited by Hoffman900 on 20 Mar 2023, 22:46, edited 2 times in total.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Hoffman900 wrote:
Farnborough wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Agree, but it can be used as a aero switch to reduce rear load under braking to facilitate turning phase, especially in approach to hard braking (tight radius) corners.
Then run flat again for higher speed high laterally loaded corners.
Notice how Perez said driving RB was like changing to a completely different class of vehicle when he arrived first year eith them.

Goblin42

carisi2k

vorticism wrote:
It should generate something like a Y250 vortex, just higher up, further back and smaller. The RB14/15/16 had a downwashing wing in the same area. Maybe the W14 version is more aggressive. All teams currently use sidepod downwash/outwash generating sidepod vortex generators. Question is, what does a larger one offer to the W14?

https://i.postimg.cc/c12RJ35j/IMG-8859.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/tC6hngKg/IMG-8860.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/4xTp6gGQ/IMG-8861.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/prwz1NFx/IMG-8862.jpg
The wing by itself is the problem vs the old red bull setup which also had other boards and winglets to help keep the tyre outwash out away and to smooth the airflow.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

vorticism wrote:
I think it was a big piece of their concept. Using this vortex in a beneficial way. They will almost have to abandon it if they go with another sidepod shape. There is very little flexibility.

mantikos
mantikos

carisi2k wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 01:46
PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 13:52
There are other details that Merceded are missing. And engineering sense tells us its the floor . Look at the width if the floor entrance here. It is definitely too restricted in an effort to deflect front wheel wake. Redbull has the widest opening. They possibly deflect the wake better or has a floor that can ingest wheel wake without issues.

Stolen from reddit:

https://preview.redd.it/qoiu8pkvtdoa1.j ... 6e1ef6aedb

https://preview.redd.it/oqf0ks7vtdoa1.j ... 91bfb31b7d
Also note how high the Merc looks from a COG perspective. I get the feeling it has a very high and narrow centre of gravity and pressure vs just about every other car.
Elliot is on the record stating the obvious, the shoulders are empty space. Yes, the weight of the carbon fiber is up there but that would amount to nearly nothing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mantikos wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 16:36
carisi2k wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 01:46
PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 13:52
There are other details that Merceded are missing. And engineering sense tells us its the floor . Look at the width if the floor entrance here. It is definitely too restricted in an effort to deflect front wheel wake. Redbull has the widest opening. They possibly deflect the wake better or has a floor that can ingest wheel wake without issues.

Stolen from reddit:

https://preview.redd.it/qoiu8pkvtdoa1.j ... 6e1ef6aedb

https://preview.redd.it/oqf0ks7vtdoa1.j ... 91bfb31b7d
Also note how high the Merc looks from a COG perspective. I get the feeling it has a very high and narrow centre of gravity and pressure vs just about every other car.
Elliot is on the record stating the obvious, the shoulders are empty space. Yes, the weight of the carbon fiber is up there but that would amount to nearly nothing.
Correct, the shoulder is actually a legality issue regarding the minimum radius of the sidepod bodywork, as opposed to an intended aerodynamic feature. That's why most teams have the circular cannon outlets.

vorticism

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 01:13
vorticism wrote:
I think it was a big piece of their concept. Using this vortex in a beneficial way. They will almost have to abandon it if they go with another sidepod shape. There is very little flexibility.
AR3-GP wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 01:13
vorticism wrote:
Seems like even their first iteration was going for something similar. Look at the big upper vortex generator combined with the oddly creased sidepod.
siskue2005 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 20:11

𓄀

'Tis me, just me.
'Tis me, just me.

Are they allowed to shape the upper crash structure wing thing to form an even sharper edge and potentially shed an even more powerful vortex to better guide outwash or are there minimum radius rules that apply to that area?

mkay
mkay

Merc wind tunnel correlation affected by out-of-tolerance parts. Very disappointing if true, and relevant individuals have reportedly been dismissed.

https://www.formu1a.uno/en/mercedes-win ... ntil-2024/
More information has surfaced surrounding problems during the development of the W14 in the wind tunnel over winter.

Mercedes has worked to better understand this issue, carrying out a complete investigation in the factory through scans both in the scale models used in the tunnel and in the real ones.

It has emerged that some parts used in the wind tunnel (the scale models) were inaccurate and went beyond the necessary parameters.

These problems have not only affected the development of the W14, such as the delays we reported during the winter, but also in terms of correlation. Subsequently, some of those who worked in this area have been dismissed.

vorticism

mkay wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 13:07
Merc wind tunnel correlation affected by out-of-tolerance parts. Very disappointing if true...
PR. They don't say what tolerance, so this is an empty statement. Small geometric variation will play no great role; their geometric tolerances will be easy to hit in terms of molding and manufacturing--F1 teams have been doing this with composites for over thirty years. Structural/performance tolerances, however, could be a flaw; the article doesn't specify though, so this all seems like technobabble chaff.
𓄀

ValeVida46

vorticism wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 16:41
mkay wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 13:07
Merc wind tunnel correlation affected by out-of-tolerance parts. Very disappointing if true...
PR. They don't say what tolerance, so this is an empty statement. Small geometric variation will play no great role; their geometric tolerances will be easy to hit in terms of molding and manufacturing
I don't know if a speculative article will come with the details you need.
But if it's true that one/some people lost their jobs, then it probably was way beyond "Small geometric variation" or what was acceptable right?