2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Here's something, I remember when Jenson raced at Monaco with a dog of a Mclaren and we thought he was going to do awful. He did well, and it was attributed to having a car that was strong under braking.

Well that is one of the redeeming traits of this car, will it be enough for this weekend?
Last edited by mwillems on 26 May 2023, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

Interesting. I remember someone mentioning the beam wing becoming more flat because it was a better way to energize the air from the diffuser, but in reality it parallels the Rear Wing and that is how it's shape is determined.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Isn't it pretty clear what Audi wanted, as they've taken over a team. Mclaren obviously didn't want that, and they shouldn't.

Which leaves very few options for a works deal.

djos

Agreed, letting an OEM buy into the team is short term gain, for long term pain!
"In downforce we trust"

organic

TD-029 due to come into effect at Imola..... Anyone know any details?

OB in this context is obviously outboard - so they had to modify the most outboard/bargeboardy fence

Could be interesting, could be nothing

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
26 May 2023, 12:56
Isn't it pretty clear what Audi wanted, as they've taken over a team. Mclaren obviously didn't want that, and they shouldn't.

Which leaves very few options for a works deal.
But that was my point earlier, the only works deals we can't get were Ferrari, which we will never get and nothing to do with how we were doing... and Honda, which was down to the fact we had a rough time with them.

There is nothing else to demonstrate that we have an issue.
We are also a road car manufacturer and so some engine supplier brands will have thoughts about promoting a team whos road car division might be a competitor.

It is what it is, but the Merc is fine anyway. If we ever get to the point where the chassis is amazing then we can worry about any potential engine issues, if indeed they exist! lol I think we are a little ways away yet....

MrGapes

car should perform alright here... a lot of the fundamental aerodynamic deficiencies are suppressed here

djos

Nozza is doing a good job on the mediums so far. Oscar is doing hard tire work.
"In downforce we trust"

Slahinki
Slahinki

Livery looks good out on track. I would say it would probably look better as a straight up white/papaya Marlboro era livery, though that would no longer really make it a Triple Crown livery.

djos

Yeah I’m not a fan of the black either, all white and papaya would have been my preference too.
"In downforce we trust"

Mansell89
Mansell89

I see “Crofty” felt the need to voice his opinion that he doesn’t personally like the McLaren livery, as if his opinion holds any weight as the single most clueless Formula 1 pundit and commentator I’ve ever had the displeasure of listening to.

A squawking pretender of a commentator and almost single-handedly ruining Sky F1s coverage on a weekly basis.

Thanks for letting us know though David, we can all sleep well now tonight 🙄

mwillems

Mansell89 wrote:
26 May 2023, 17:26
I see “Crofty” felt the need to voice his opinion that he doesn’t personally like the McLaren livery, as if his opinion holds any weight as the single most clueless Formula 1 pundit and commentator I’ve ever had the displeasure of listening to.

A squawking pretender of a commentator and almost single-handedly ruining Sky F1s coverage on a weekly basis.

Errr, what's the big deal with someone having an opinion you don't like? You're the only one actually adding any importance to it :D Slightly ironic...!

CjC
CjC

Croft fears change. Just like his hatred to when drivers (Vettel) changed their helmets every other race back in the early 2010 days
Just a fan's point of view

MrGapes

Lando would of gone faster but he nearly lost it on his 1st soft run... +4 tenths not bad

Mansell89
Mansell89

mwillems wrote:
26 May 2023, 17:30
Mansell89 wrote:
26 May 2023, 17:26

Errr, what's the big deal with someone having an opinion you don't like? You're the only one actually adding any importance to it :D Slightly ironic...!
Not interested in his opinion good or bad, was just an opportunity to vent about him ;) Haha. I just find him a massive irritant.

Would love him to commentate on the action, instead of his chat show style in the comm box.

Just a frustrated traditionalist here that’s all 😂😂