2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xyz22
Xyz22

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Formu1a uno also reported in their twitch livestream yesterday that Ferrari is expecting huge gains from the Imola upgrade package.

Vasseur also underlined that the SF 24 is easier to develop which means he is (probably) seeing good numbers from CFD/Wind Tunnel/Simulator

Vanja #66

CaribouBread wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 12:16
https://formu1a.uno/it/ferrari-provate- ... -red-bull/

FERRARI: TRY THE UPSIDE-DOWN BELLIES IN RED BULL STYLE!

For the home Grand Prix, at Imola, an SF-24 is planned that has been profoundly evolved compared to the basic version that started the 2024 world championship. A part of this package, as already anticipated for some time, will include narrower cooling vents. A fairly "logical" path of evolution and already trodden by the RB19 last year. However, the work carried out within the walls of Maranello saw a model of SF-24 equipped with "inverted mouths" – with an advanced upper lip like on the RB20 – run in the tunnel. [...] At Ferrari, they tried to make an initial approach in that direction, but the results in the tunnel did not lead to positive results.

In Maranello, on the other hand, they are optimistic about the potential shown by the new aerodynamic look that will be introduced at Imola. The decision not to anticipate an updated bodysuit already at Suzuka is the result of the fact that the SF-24 was born well, and it was preferred to work on the new package until Easter week.
Not surprised at all, RB played around a lot with radiator positioning in order to reduce the size of horizontal inlets. This is very important for maximising the flow underneath, since larger inlets will lead to less flow in the undercut. It's a good thing they tried and got the results in any case! As things stand, Ferrari will profit from simply moving the lip further up and there's no need to deviate too much. I'm actually very curious about McLaren's development in this area.

Xyz22 wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 12:31
Formu1a uno also reported in their twitch livestream yesterday that Ferrari is expecting huge gains from the Imola upgrade package.

Vasseur also underlined that the SF 24 is easier to develop which means he is (probably) seeing good numbers from CFD/Wind Tunnel/Simulator
Vasseur is uncharacteristically bullish lately. And together with his (characteristic) measured and composed approach, it gives a feeling of quiet confidence. Didn't Newey say in Bahrain he has no idea how Ferrari can go so low and so well with their floor? Maybe they really found something new in their development, staying true to their initial path
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 13:03
CaribouBread wrote:

For the home Grand Prix, at Imola, an SF-24 is planned that has been profoundly evolved compared to the basic version that started the 2024 world championship. A part of this package, as already anticipated for some time, will include narrower cooling vents. A fairly "logical" path of evolution and already trodden by the RB19 last year. However, the work carried out within the walls of Maranello saw a model of SF-24 equipped with "inverted mouths" – with an advanced upper lip like on the RB20 – run in the tunnel. [...] At Ferrari, they tried to make an initial approach in that direction, but the results in the tunnel did not lead to positive results.

In Maranello, on the other hand, they are optimistic about the potential shown by the new aerodynamic look that will be introduced at Imola. The decision not to anticipate an updated bodysuit already at Suzuka is the result of the fact that the SF-24 was born well, and it was preferred to work on the new package until Easter week.
Not surprised at all, RB played around a lot with radiator positioning in order to reduce the size of horizontal inlets. This is very important for maximising the flow underneath, since larger inlets will lead to less flow in the undercut. It's a good thing they tried and got the results in any case! As things stand, Ferrari will profit from simply moving the lip further up and there's no need to deviate too much. I'm actually very curious about McLaren's development in this area.

Xyz22 wrote:

Vasseur is uncharacteristically bullish lately. And together with his (characteristic) measured and composed approach, it gives a feeling of quiet confidence. Didn't Newey say in Bahrain he has no idea how Ferrari can go so low and so well with their floor? Maybe they really found something new in their development, staying true to their initial path
I think Vasseur after the shaky first few months last year (which makes sense as he had no experience in a team like Ferrari where every interview is micro analyzed to the death) has been on point with interviews and statements. He is right they have to push and close the gap to Red Bull which is still far ahead.

franbatista123

Xyz22 wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 13:19
Vanja #66 wrote:
CaribouBread wrote:

Xyz22 wrote:

I think Vasseur after the shaky first few months last year (which makes sense as he had no experience in a team like Ferrari where every interview is micro analyzed to the death) has been on point with interviews and statements. He is right they have to push and close the gap to Red Bull which is still far ahead.
With Vasseur being so bullish i'm not so sure that they are that far ahead. The car is very different than last year so there might be a lot of performance left in just optimizing setup, at least potentially more than Red Bull. Or maybe the next upgrades are truly massive perfomance gains. Or both (hopium overload haha).

Xyz22
Xyz22

franbatista123 wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 13:36
Xyz22 wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

With Vasseur being so bullish i'm not so sure that they are that far ahead. The car is very different than last year so there might be a lot of performance left in just optimizing setup, at least potentially more than Red Bull. Or maybe the next upgrades are truly massive perfomance gains. Or both (hopium overload haha).
I don't think he has been bullish, but simply realistic. When you have a car that is behaving in a "normal" way it makes sense that is easier to develop, especially when you aim to add performance.

The other info comes from Formu1a which reported that internally Ferrari is expecting a lot from the upgrade package. At the same time RB will also bring upgrades therefore that doesn't mean the SF 24 will match the RB20. The goal is improve relatively to the RB through the season.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
Agreed, I was under the impression it was a bit of underselling on his end, but I see they are happy with deg and tyre treatment overall so they now want to focus on pure performance/downforce. I thought they might want to try and push a bit more in the race to make up some lap time and trade it for worse deg, but as we all saw in Australia it takes just a little bit too much pushing on early laps and the deg goes sky high - so that's not what you want to do...

Honestly, it's so good to see 3 teams now seem to be fully prepared with their cars and will be pushing each other this season. RB, McLaren and Ferrari have done really good, if RB was less ahead it would be a 2010 rerun :mrgreen:

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

I think, especially after Charles lost the 'touch" with the car on SAT in Australia that they are not still able to exploit full performance/potential from the car regarding the set-up ie they can not fully read the car yet.
Opinions?

scuderiabrandon

FDD wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 16:30
I think, especially after Charles lost the 'touch" with the car on SAT in Australia that they are not still able to exploit full performance/potential from the car regarding the set-up ie they can not fully read the car yet.
Opinions?
There is many reasons to believe they haven't fully dialed the car in yet.We have yet to see the car make the same step as others in Q3, and for that matter, the start of stints have been rather weak. All fingers pointing towards the tyre warm up phase still being a bit ambiguous to them.

I think there is a better compromise in there where in they can trade a bit more deg for early stint performance.

Xyz22
Xyz22

FDD wrote:
Opinions?
Yeah, still don't have any idea what happened there.

jambuka
jambuka

Xyz22 wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 17:20
FDD wrote:
Opinions?
Yeah, still don't have any idea what happened there.
Think Charles tried to extract too much and went in the wrong direction. If he had just kept a similar setup on Friday would have been front row.

jambuka
jambuka

Modified floor for Suzuka.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Current weather forecast for the WE is rain, by the way.

Hopefully, if that will be the case, we won't see this stuff :

scuderiabrandon

Xyz22 wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 19:17
Current weather forecast for the WE is rain, by the way.

Hopefully, if that will be the case, we won't see this stuff :

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJqXe0pXUAA ... name=large
We've come a very long way since then

Vanja #66

Looking at these 3 races, it might be the other way round even

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

Farnborough
Farnborough

That was a masterclass in how to utilise the tires though :D

MV, in my view uses quite different loading and interpretation of the tire to generate speed. A little more rally than classical track technique, perhaps not a match in absolute, absolute peak pace, that's in comparison to CL for example, but with better use of tire carcass and wear.