2026 Aerodynamic & Chassis Regulations

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Apexseal157

Re: 2026 Aerodynamic & Chassis Regulations

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 01:02
Apexseal157 wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 21:57
Tommy Cookers wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 11:12

active aero could readily give downforce fixed relative to speed (as an aeroplane does fixed lift) ....
yes that's not trivial

but if F1 is an efficiency formula it's an efficiency formula
that doesnt sound like what is happenening here though, to me this is basically double drs on 'roids and no driver wants to rock up to a turn and suddenly the downforce level changes. Gusty crosswinds already cause drivers to crash due to changing df levels so having the aero balance shifting about with active aero will be horrid to drive on the edge. Also think about the saftey horrors, imagine the rear wing flaps fail (like redbull's did a few years ago) and suddenly you're turning in with no rear downforce... Wing failure at baku? Dead, faulty electronics at spa? Aeroplane. If F1 is an "efficiency formula" and that priority comes above all else then the sport will suffer becuase the entertainment value is bad now and will get worse. The efficiency formula should be endurance prototypes not F1.
As I understand it, there will designated and electronically activated "active aero zones".
right, so as they enter or exit a zone the balance will still change multiple times thoughout a lap, not a secure driving experiance and even with zones that still doesn't rule out failures in either the software or actuator mechanism which could result in some very nasty situations due to a sudden change in load and aero balance.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

AR3-GP wrote:
As I understand it, there will designated and electronically activated "active aero zones".
ok news to me - but it sounds like a plan
yes aero balance will need to be a priority (same as aviation)

how is this impossible ?
each corner already has its specific (driver-activated) settings ie brake balance, diff, (even regen) etc
active aero status is just another driver-learned driver-activated yes/no item specific to each corner of the lap
it will be simply a learned item for that corner just as steer left or steer right is a learned item for that corner

Apexseal157

Tommy Cookers wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 11:38
AR3-GP wrote:
ok news to me - but it sounds like a plan
yes aero balance will need to be a priority (same as aviation)

how is this impossible ?
each corner already has its specific (driver-activated) settings ie brake balance, diff, (even regen) etc
active aero status is just another driver-learned driver-activated yes/no item specific to each corner of the lap
it will be simply a learned item for that corner just as steer left or steer right is a learned item for that corner
how is what impossible? Nobody said anything about the feasiblity, I'm sure it is technically possible but it will be a horrible experiance for the drivers and I didn't think the aero isn't activated by the drivers, I still don't know if it's just supposed to be on/off like current DRS or dynamic but either way I think its the teams who set up the downforce for each zone/corner not the driver. And god forbid it is driver activated, imagine Lance Stroll has the ability to halve his car's downforce at the press of a button :shock:, every driver would fear for their lives.

FW17

They do not want active aero with multiple different settings so that it still a best aero compromise challenge for the teams, just as the suspension.

The new DRS will be like the unlimited DRS seen in qualifying when it was in 2012, being used in every straight to boost the top speed. Maybe automatic or driver activated as some drivers would prefer to activate the system later down the straight fir better traction or to protect the tyres.

Stu

I’ve been giving this a bit of thought and have (what I think is) an interesting solution.
A physical car aero set-up to minimise drag level, that provides enough downforce for stability at speed with ‘just adequate’ trim devices at each end of the car (think Indycar Superspeedway wings) - single element devices only.
A regulated powered extraction device for the underfloor (electric fan), driven from the ES; which can be switched off above a given speed (driver controlled).
The driver control side is very important; they could use it to either increase cornering performance OR straight line speed, it’s use being controlled using the same regulations as now with the electric drive.

Two benefits as I see it.
Cars are intrinsically low drag (so reduced fuel mass required).
Downforce becomes something to be strategically deployed as power used for the creation of cornering power comes from the same supply as that used to propel the car electrically.
The third benefit is no more need for DRS!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

wuzak
wuzak

Stu wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 09:32
The third benefit is no more need for DRS!!
No need for DRS with the PU override mode.

Zynerji

With all of these rumors of teams offering Newey 100M$ for 2026, let me make a counter offer...

Liberty/FIA hire Newey for 100M$, delay the regs until 2027 and he designs the "base chassis" for the new cycle. Then each team can modify/develop independently before building for the season.

Imagine a 5 year formula that everyone actually starts close and develop like their lives depend on it.🤯

cplchanb
cplchanb

Zynerji wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 15:32
With all of these rumors of teams offering Newey 100M$ for 2026, let me make a counter offer...

Liberty/FIA hire Newey for 100M$, delay the regs until 2027 and he designs the "base chassis" for the new cycle. Then each team can modify/develop independently before building for the season.

Imagine a 5 year formula that everyone actually starts close and develop like their lives depend on it.🤯
sorry but thats a spec series. the best thing that can happen for F1 is for newey to retire or head to FOM as tech head but for him to design a car to copy is not for F1.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

cplchanb wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 18:34
Zynerji wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 15:32

sorry but thats a spec series. the best thing that can happen for F1 is for newey to retire or head to FOM as tech head but for him to design a car to copy is not for F1.
If you looked at the F1 rules, you’d see we’re 98% of the way there. In fact, the PU’s and aero of the cars now only exist because of the rules. Open up the rule set and the cars look much different as would the PUs.

Just look at it… https://www.racecar-engineering.com/art ... gulations/

On the PU side everything from bore size to bore spacing, etc is spec’ed. Most of the difference is just detail stuff and packaging.