2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Joel709
Joel709

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Let’s be honest here guys, there’s a very small if not impossible chance Red Bull agree to let Newey off his gardening period in time for the 2026 regs, that would be stupid decision, the likelyhood is that he won’t be available for a team until 2027. But that’s if he even wants a new team?? He could well be retiring with his newly commissioned boat, I think that’s the more plausible explanation. People forget he’s near 70!

chrisc90

Theres not even any confirmation he is going anywhere yet.....apart from some media speculation. And we've all seen how wrong that can be this year.

dialtone
dialtone

Joel709 wrote:Let’s be honest here guys, there’s a very small if not impossible chance Red Bull agree to let Newey off his gardening period in time for the 2026 regs, that would be stupid decision, the likelyhood is that he won’t be available for a team until 2027. But that’s if he even wants a new team?? He could well be retiring with his newly commissioned boat, I think that’s the more plausible explanation. People forget he’s near 70!
With the contract ending in 2025 it would be more about Newey agreeing to this leave. He’s going to be available in 2026 either way.

dialtone
dialtone

chrisc90 wrote:Theres not even any confirmation he is going anywhere yet.....apart from some media speculation. And we've all seen how wrong that can be this year.
I’m sorry but… what was wrong in the media speculation so far? Roughly speaking they have been very mich right all year long.

Wouter

chrisc90 wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 20:08
Theres not even any confirmation he is going anywhere yet.....apart from some media speculation. And we've all seen how wrong that can be this year.
Speculation? Erik van Haren has inside info from members of RBR. He was never wrong in the past about RBR.
You can read his articles, he gives you the links.

Last edited by Wouter on 27 Apr 2024, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Joel709
Joel709

dialtone wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 20:12
Joel709 wrote:Let’s be honest here guys, there’s a very small if not impossible chance Red Bull agree to let Newey off his gardening period in time for the 2026 regs, that would be stupid decision, the likelyhood is that he won’t be available for a team until 2027. But that’s if he even wants a new team?? He could well be retiring with his newly commissioned boat, I think that’s the more plausible explanation. People forget he’s near 70!
With the contract ending in 2025 it would be more about Newey agreeing to this leave. He’s going to be available in 2026 either way.
That’s not how it work, especially in a competitive sport, he would still have a non compete for a time period regardless of how he leaves. If I left my job today because my contract was over doesn’t mean I can go over to my competitor, the terms still apply in law as it’s an after employment clause.

This also stipulates that he leaves at the end of his contract, everything states at the moment is that he wants to leave now.

Either way, both cases, a period of non compete is valid

dialtone
dialtone

Joel709 wrote:
dialtone wrote:
That’s not how it work, especially in a competitive sport, he would still have a non compete for a time period regardless of how he leaves. If I left my job today because my contract was over doesn’t mean I can go over to my competitor, the terms still apply in law as it’s an after employment clause.

This also stipulates that he leaves at the end of his contract, everything states at the moment is that he wants to leave now.

Non competes are not enforceable. And that’s exactly how it works. If your team lets your contract expire you are free to do what you want, if they don’t want you to go to a competitor they better pay, and what they pay better be more than the competitor to be worth my time.

And this is particularly true in competitive sports. Imagine an nfl offensive coordinator being unable to coach for a competitor for a year, ridiculous. F1 is the only sport with gardening leave and in this case it wouldn’t work.

Joel709
Joel709

:wink:
dialtone wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 20:41
Joel709 wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Non competes are not enforceable. And that’s exactly how it works. If your team lets your contract expire you are free to do what you want, if they don’t want you to go to a competitor they better pay, and what they pay better be more than the competitor to be worth my time.

And this is particularly true in competitive sports. Imagine an nfl offensive coordinator being unable to coach for a competitor for a year, ridiculous. F1 is the only sport with gardening leave and in this case it wouldn’t work.
Everybody says it’s unenforceable but when did you last see a member of F1 break such a clause? Dan fallows had a one from red bull which he had to serve, a few of the Merc and Redbull engineers that went to Ferrari had to obey by it. The only time people tend to get away from it is if they’re transferring between agreement teams like RB & RBR, Haas & Ferrari etc.

It’s nothing to do with money but with contract law. Newey signed a contract that included non compete clauses, he wouldn’t have a choice but to abide by them, but this would only be applicable in F1, he would be able to partake in different motorsports

dialtone
dialtone

Joel709 wrote::wink:
dialtone wrote:
Joel709 wrote: That’s not how it work, especially in a competitive sport, he would still have a non compete for a time period regardless of how he leaves. If I left my job today because my contract was over doesn’t mean I can go over to my competitor, the terms still apply in law as it’s an after employment clause.

Everybody says it’s unenforceable but when did you last see a member of F1 break such a clause? Dan fallows had a one from red bull which he had to serve, a few of the Merc and Redbull engineers that went to Ferrari had to obey by it. The only time people tend to get away from it is if they’re transferring between agreement teams like RB & RBR, Haas & Ferrari etc.

It’s nothing to do with money but with contract law. Newey signed a contract that included non compete clauses, he wouldn’t have a choice but to abide by them, but this would only be applicable in F1, he would be able to partake in different motorsports
Nobody violates an agreement of that kind because they don’t want to burn bridges. Do you think Newey is interested in not burning bridges with Horner?

chrisc90

Entirely depends whats written in his current contract about what happens if it doesn't renew. It could simply be put that should the contract not be renewed by either party, then RBR will agree to pay him £xx-million for a period of 1 year following that as part of a non compete thing,

Dunlay
Dunlay

dialtone wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 20:54
Joel709 wrote::wink:
dialtone wrote:

Nobody violates an agreement of that kind because they don’t want to burn bridges. Do you think Newey is interested in not burning bridges with Horner?
If it's legally in the contract, one has to serve the gardening leave if enforced, regardless if they want to burn bridges or not. That's not a choice.

dialtone
dialtone

Dunlay wrote:
dialtone wrote:
Joel709 wrote::wink: Everybody says it’s unenforceable but when did you last see a member of F1 break such a clause? Dan fallows had a one from red bull which he had to serve, a few of the Merc and Redbull engineers that went to Ferrari had to obey by it. The only time people tend to get away from it is if they’re transferring between agreement teams like RB & RBR, Haas & Ferrari etc.

If it's legally in the contract, one has to serve the gardening leave if enforced, regardless if they want to burn bridges or not. That's not a choice.
That’s really not true :). What do you do? Bring me to court? They’ll throw it out, that’s what unenforceable means.

Laws are meant to protect employees, there’s no f1 contract tribunal.

Joel709
Joel709

dialtone wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 21:01
Dunlay wrote:
dialtone wrote:

That’s really not true :). What do you do? Bring me to court? They’ll throw it out, that’s what unenforceable means.

They’d do exactly that, and during that time they wouldn’t be able to work due to ongoing contract disputes, that alone could be drawn out longer than a non compete. You have a very big lack of understanding of contract law

chrisc90

dialtone wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 21:01
Dunlay wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Rubbish, If a employee broke a contract, then would be liable to be taken to court.

UK law here, straight from the horses mouth.

https://www.gov.uk/handing-in-your-noti ... -covenants

dialtone
dialtone

Not only the uk government intends to limit non competes to 3 months.

It’s totally not true that a trial would take a year or longer, lol.

But ultimately he would work for Ferrari so it’s something to be dealt with across country lines so the matter is very much more complicated.

Anyway we’ve discussed this topic enough and we don’t know enough details to make real conclusions.