Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Re: Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 05:24
dialtone wrote:
02 May 2024, 05:10
CHT wrote:
Which team? As what role and replacing who?
He probably would replace Rory Byrne who has been playing this role at Ferrari from Thailand while being 80 years old.
Why would AN want to spend his time mentoring Ferrari engineers whom he doesn't know or care? AN cant be so desperate and poor to be looking around mentoring for money
Crazy talk

dialtone
dialtone

CHT wrote:
dialtone wrote:
CHT wrote: Which team? As what role and replacing who?
He probably would replace Rory Byrne who has been playing this role at Ferrari from Thailand while being 80 years old.
Why would AN want to spend his time mentoring Ferrari engineers whom he doesn't know or care? AN cant be so desperate and poor to be looking around mentoring for money
I’m told he doesn’t care about money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watto
Watto

dialtone wrote:
02 May 2024, 05:52
CHT wrote:
dialtone wrote:

I am sure he cares about money. But been well enough for many years where now its not really an issue for him he will still take what he can get from where ever he goes.

That he negotiated gardening leave leans very heavily towards him working for another team. And I would certainly hedge my bets it wil be Ferarri. As you've said he could get away with a mentoring kind of role there if he wants to dive deep into it he can or not he can do as he pleases.

I do think there is a small chance though he does just walk away. Negotiating gardening leave could just be keeping options as open as possible walk away unless the right offer comes up so hes not hamstrung. Take the next few months off less stress pressure and then figure out if he is ready to put himself through it all again, Maybe the next 12 months or so AN just decides he enjoys not needing to work. I don't think thats the likely outcome. But I don't think its that far out of the question either.

CHT
CHT

Watto wrote:
02 May 2024, 07:43
dialtone wrote:
CHT wrote:

I am sure he cares about money. But been well enough for many years where now its not really an issue for him he will still take what he can get from where ever he goes.

That he negotiated gardening leave leans very heavily towards him working for another team. And I would certainly hedge my bets it wil be Ferarri. As you've said he could get away with a mentoring kind of role there if he wants to dive deep into it he can or not he can do as he pleases.

I do think there is a small chance though he does just walk away. Negotiating gardening leave could just be keeping options as open as possible walk away unless the right offer comes up so hes not hamstrung. Take the next few months off less stress pressure and then figure out if he is ready to put himself through it all again, Maybe the next 12 months or so AN just decides he enjoys not needing to work. I don't think thats the likely outcome. But I don't think its that far out of the question either.
AN negotiating gardening leave is actually a rumour, and from there a new rumour about joining a new team, followed by speculation on why AN wants to join a new team etc.

All these are just rumour in hope that another team order than RB and Max will win championship

Watto
Watto

CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 07:47
Watto wrote:
02 May 2024, 07:43
dialtone wrote:

AN negotiating gardening leave is actually a rumour, and from there a new rumour about joining a new team, followed by speculation on why AN wants to join a new team etc.

All these are just rumour in hope that another team order than RB and Max will win championship
Then AN's statement would have said he was retiring. And thats not what his own statement says.

The rumors of him leaving did talk about the negotiation of gardening leave before it was anything was announced. So I think it is a fair assumption to make

Only Adrian knows (and maybe even he doesn't know yet) what is next.

dialtone
dialtone

“I’m looking for my next challenge“ - is this what people say when they retire?

Watto
Watto

dialtone wrote:
02 May 2024, 08:44
“I’m looking for my next challenge“ - is this what people say when they retire?
For sure and why I pointed out his statement too. I think more than likely he does end up at Ferarri too as an advisor, I think thats very likely.

But as above I don't think it would be a shock if hes thinking somthing along Ferrari or retirement. I want to go fo Ferrari but spends the next 12 months or so pottering about enjoying life outside F1 casual travel etc. Or even starts working at Ferrari and decides its not for him and just walks away.

I think there is enough appeal to Ferrari if he wants could be play a role in a Ferarri championship winning car? Would look good on his CV and I think Ferrari look as close as they have in a long long time to be putting all those pieces together - that could play a huge role in AN decision. in 2014 when they last made an offer he might have thought its too big a challange now if he can just fine tune things, and I there wouldn't be a single person that would think any less of him it things didn't work out either his CV speaks for itself.

CHT
CHT

AN is not a despicable and untrustworthy crazy person who will say nice things about RB and colleagues before quitting so that he can make secret deal with to become a traitor to join rival team for the sake of Ferrari fame and money.

If AN had wanted to join Ferrari or other team, he could have refuse to extended his contract in 2023 or create a monster car like RB20 to make his job even tougher.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Dunlay wrote:
02 May 2024, 05:01
dialtone wrote:
02 May 2024, 04:39
Why would he even spend time to negotiate the gardening leave to retire?
He is certainly joining another F1 team.

It might be Ferrari as he had a few run ins in the past, but dropped it due to reasons best known to him.

Whichever team he joins, 2027 would be the car which would bear his complete signature. Starting mid 2025 for the design of 2026 would be too late.
The press release said the end of the contract is Q1 2025 with no specific date and especially without saying "end of Q1 2025". This means that potentially he can join another Team starting before 31/03/2025.

Watto
Watto

CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 09:23
AN is not a despicable and untrustworthy crazy person who will say nice things about RB and colleagues before quitting so that he can make secret deal with to become a traitor to join rival team for the sake of Ferrari fame and money.

If AN had wanted to join Ferrari or other team, he could have refuse to extended his contract in 2023 or create a monster car like RB20 to make his job even tougher.
There is nothing despicable or untrustworthy about AN if he heads to Ferrari at all. Things change he might have enjoyed the conflict at RB with the Thais and Austraians might have said that is enough but still be interested in work if the conditions were right. People make those decisions all the time, breaking contracts etc is borderline normal.

Watto
Watto

Interestingly Eddie Jordans full clip/comments about AN taking time away EJ says come from a neutral perspective.

When he was asked about what he knows was no comment. A bit of a hedge each way but certainly I don't think there was anything by EJ to rule out a move elsewhere it anythings I think probably indicated soething was possible without confirming.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Watto wrote:
02 May 2024, 10:17
Interestingly Eddie Jordans full clip/comments about AN taking time away EJ says come from a neutral perspective.

When he was asked about what he knows was no comment. A bit of a hedge each way but certainly I don't think there was anything by EJ to rule out a move elsewhere it anythings I think probably indicated soething was possible without confirming.
There's little to be gained IMO from taking EJ's comments at face value because he is AN's manager. It's his job to get AN the most favorable deal possible whatever it is he decides to do. It therefore in his best interest to keep his cards close to his chest, and any public statements EJ makes should be through the lens of trying to extract the most worth possible from AN's future employer, if there is indeed one.

Watto
Watto

Cold Fussion wrote:
02 May 2024, 10:29
Watto wrote:
02 May 2024, 10:17

There's little to be gained IMO from taking EJ's comments at face value because he is AN's manager. It's his job to get AN the most favorable deal possible whatever it is he decides to do. It therefore in his best interest to keep his cards close to his chest, and any public statements EJ makes should be through the lens of trying to extract the most worth possible from AN's future employer, if there is indeed one.
Yeah agree and he really didn’t say anything . The short clip last night was misleading when the full bit was released about taking time away age etc EJ made it clear it was purely an outside view. Been at RB 18 years, McLaren, Williams Layton House before that getting older

CHT
CHT

EJ is a very reliable source regarding information about AN due to their mutual connection to South Africa.
I remember EJ was in fact the first person to talk about RB20 design that is going to blow their competitors away back in 2023.

The video did highlight a few things

a) AN dont fall for money (EJ quoting personal experience)
b) Ridicules amount of pressure in F1 and every race and deserve to taking time out
c) Doubt Adrian spoken to any team
d) AN got a little older
e) 18 years with RBR is the longest team AN has work with majority of the time in his career

So I am not very sure how spin doctors can turn into AN quitting because he wants to join another team, negotiating for early exit and going to Ferrari in Q2 2025.

Watto
Watto

CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 12:00
EJ is a very reliable source regarding information about AN due to their mutual connection to South Africa.
I remember EJ was in fact the first person to talk about RB20 design that is going to blow their competitors away back in 2023.

The video did highlight a few things

a) AN fall for money (EJ quoting personal experience)
b) Ridicules amount of pressure in F1 and every race and deserve to taking time out
c) Doubt Adrian spoken to any team
d) AN got a little older
e) 18 years with RBR is the longest team AN has work with majority of the time in his career

So I am not very sure how spin doctors can turn into AN quitting because he wants to join another team, negotiating for early exit and going to Ferrari in Q2 2025.

The first half of the interview he talks about not giving out any knowledge of what AN will do next/conversations they have had. David and EJ cleary say they are going down a purely hypothetical route. You could take that as a wink wink but and I think without any inside knowledge what he said was pretty much on point.

But he played it pretty coy when asked what conversations they have had about the future Didn't really give anything away. If he was negotiating with Ferrari or another team that is exactly what you would say - or even for that matter if he had signed but not official yet.

Even on they time away, he also simpy said time away to assess that could be a few months to figure out not a for ever decision .