Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

How about "The Adrian Newey design studio", based and funded from Italy with a free roaming licence to work from home, or somewhere else if needed.
NOT a Ferrari employee, but a contracted studio with an open licence to do what he fancies- from Sports cars to F1, or boats or motorcycles if it so takes him?
The dream job for him and an opportunity to to pass on his knowledge and make his name "immortal"

Oh yes, and quite useful to Ferrari too, or any of their group.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

CHT
CHT

Watto wrote:
02 May 2024, 12:15
CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 12:00
EJ is a very reliable source regarding information about AN due to their mutual connection to South Africa.
I remember EJ was in fact the first person to talk about RB20 design that is going to blow their competitors away back in 2023.

The video did highlight a few things

a) AN fall for money (EJ quoting personal experience)
b) Ridicules amount of pressure in F1 and every race and deserve to taking time out
c) Doubt Adrian spoken to any team
d) AN got a little older
e) 18 years with RBR is the longest team AN has work with majority of the time in his career

So I am not very sure how spin doctors can turn into AN quitting because he wants to join another team, negotiating for early exit and going to Ferrari in Q2 2025.

The first half of the interview he talks about not giving out any knowledge of what AN will do next/conversations they have had. David and EJ cleary say they are going down a purely hypothetical route. You could take that as a wink wink but and I think without any inside knowledge what he said was pretty much on point.

But he played it pretty coy when asked what conversations they have had about the future Didn't really give anything away. If he was negotiating with Ferrari or another team that is exactly what you would say - or even for that matter if he had signed but not official yet.

Even on they time away, he also simpy said time away to assess that could be a few months to figure out not a for ever decision .
You are reading messages which my brain isnt picking up. When they EJ say they are going down a PURELY hypothetical conversation?

Leon
Leon

It would be great for history to have success with Ferrari. We live in a changing world and environment. A few hundred million dollars won't punch a pocket. A consultant job for his age might be ideal. Perhaps Lew was better informed and acted in advance)) It is also possible that Jos knew that Adrian would leave, and was angry at Christian for allowing this to happen. Blackmail with the departure of Max and Helmut did not work, so all this drama. :/
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

Watto
Watto

CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 13:04
Watto wrote:
CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 12:00
EJ is a very reliable source regarding information about AN due to their mutual connection to South Africa.
I remember EJ was in fact the first person to talk about RB20 design that is going to blow their competitors away back in 2023.

The video did highlight a few things

a) AN fall for money (EJ quoting personal experience)
b) Ridicules amount of pressure in F1 and every race and deserve to taking time out
c) Doubt Adrian spoken to any team
d) AN got a little older
e) 18 years with RBR is the longest team AN has work with majority of the time in his career

So I am not very sure how spin doctors can turn into AN quitting because he wants to join another team, negotiating for early exit and going to Ferrari in Q2 2025.

The first half of the interview he talks about not giving out any knowledge of what AN will do next/conversations they have had. David and EJ cleary say they are going down a purely hypothetical route. You could take that as a wink wink but and I think without any inside knowledge what he said was pretty much on point.

But he played it pretty coy when asked what conversations they have had about the future Didn't really give anything away. If he was negotiating with Ferrari or another team that is exactly what you would say - or even for that matter if he had signed but not official yet.

Even on they time away, he also simpy said time away to assess that could be a few months to figure out not a for ever decision .
You are reading messages which my brain isnt picking up. When they EJ say they are going down a PURELY hypothetical conversation?
At around the 3:00 mark EJ says his lips are sealed with a bit of convo saying before that he’s not going to say what his advice would be.

After some banter between DC and EJ over conflict of interest etc. DC says around the 3:40 mark taking their relationship aside and discussing it as any other situation- a driver etc would the move happen. From there EJ is talking like it’s hypothetical like anyone else in the paddock. I suppose you could read into it as EJs leak. But they did say it was taking any relationship aside

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Eddie Jordan likely knows what Newey is thinking or actually doing. But he's not going to give the game away.
You could see Jordan squirming a bit at certain points.

The BBC reported about Eddie Jordan getting Newey out of his current contract early. If it had run until the end of 2025, Newey wouldn't have started at a new team
until 2027 at the earliest. It sounds like Newey is free to start at a new team after Q1 2025. Finishing up on the hypercar project and attending select races for
Red Bull is likely Horner extracting every last ounce of Newey's expertise. I've posted this before I think, but some might have missed it.
"He also revealed that his departure had been handled by former F1 team boss Eddie Jordan, who Newey described as his “close friend and manager”.

Jordan and Newey have succeeded in pulling off a major coup in extricating the designer from a contract that ran to the end of 2025 and included a 12-month “non-compete” clause which should have meant he was not available to any other team until 2027 at the earliest." https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cv2rd53gnr6o

CHT
CHT

Watto wrote:
02 May 2024, 14:04
CHT wrote:
Watto wrote:

At around the 3:00 mark EJ says his lips are sealed with a bit of convo saying before that he’s not going to say what his advice would be.

After some banter between DC and EJ over conflict of interest etc. DC says around the 3:40 mark taking their relationship aside and discussing it as any other situation- a driver etc would the move happen. From there EJ is talking like it’s hypothetical like anyone else in the paddock. I suppose you could read into it as EJs leak. But they did say it was taking any relationship aside
From the moment DC asked about AN going to Ferrari EJ start by reminding his audience that AN has spent a great many years working on high pressured job in F1 since before RB and he certainly deserves a break..EJ even went on to say he doubt he has spoked to anyone or even questiok is he will ever do that due to age.

These are all consistent with someone planning for retirement not someone looking for something more challenging in life.

EJ may know what AN may be doing but it's certainly doesnt sound like he is joining another F1 team..

I could be wrong but we will see..At least I was right when I said back in 2023 that AN will not be involve in 2026 car

Shakeman

Those who overplayed their hand by seeking to unseat CH from RBR by briefing the press can now take as much time as necessary to reflect on one of the World's great laws, the 'Law of Unintended Consequences'.

They've FA and FO.

The office 'fling' if that what it was became frontpage news and the ensuing internal gamesmanship and politicking made a rather important member of the team unsettled and decide to consider his position and ultimately head for the door. Cracks in relationships that could be easily painted over for the good of the team soon became chasms.

What a massive own goal to the Max Verstappen project, you'd need a heart of stone not to laugh.

The fact that Newey was 'sidelined' and didn't work on the F1 full time is irrelevant, those of you in science or engineering know how invaluable it is to have 5 mins of an expert's time. I suspect Newey's wealth of knowledge and experience was drawn upon at key points which were disproportionately useful to the car design direction and as such is going to be a monumental loss going forward.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

From December 2023.

myurr
myurr

CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 16:10
Watto wrote:
02 May 2024, 14:04
CHT wrote:

From the moment DC asked about AN going to Ferrari EJ start by reminding his audience that AN has spent a great many years working on high pressured job in F1 since before RB and he certainly deserves a break..EJ even went on to say he doubt he has spoked to anyone or even questiok is he will ever do that due to age.

These are all consistent with someone planning for retirement not someone looking for something more challenging in life.

EJ may know what AN may be doing but it's certainly doesnt sound like he is joining another F1 team..

I could be wrong but we will see..At least I was right when I said back in 2023 that AN will not be involve in 2026 car
Is it EJ's job to stoke speculation and rumour, to increase media pressure and interest in Newey? Or is it his job to minimise all of that whilst quietly going about negotiating with whichever team Newey wishes to hear from?

It's been widely circulated that Newey has met with Ferrari. If it was a done deal that he was retiring then why would he meet with them?

I wouldn't be surprised if Newey did retire. But equally I think it more likely he spends at least a few years at Ferrari in whatever capacity suits him.

jrdls
jrdls

CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 16:10

A break does not equal retirement. In fact it has a finite duration. To me it looks like he needs to get away from F1 for a while and recharge his batteries before he takes on another job in F1. And that would be consistent with the negotiation of his early release in Q1 2025. As others have pointed out, you don't do that unless you plan to work for another team. I haven't listened to the interview but did DC press EJ on the reason for his early release? If he did, EJ's answer would be telling.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

dialtone wrote:
02 May 2024, 08:44
“I’m looking for my next challenge“ - is this what people say when they retire?
Sailing around the world isn't particularly easy.

organic

I don't think Newey can sit there and twiddle his thumbs doing nothing. He mentioned in a recent podcast that the Rb17 came about because he was bored and started sketching things over the winter break and it took shape from there.. he just needs to be doing something I think

Ferrari is his obvious destination. Talking about retirement from his side is a negotiation tactic

chrisc90

https://fb.watch/rPLrK_UuxU/

Max's piece on Adrian and future plans when asked

LM10
LM10

Newey's departure is the confirmation of things not going well. Regardless of the Horner saga he obviously does not want to work on which would be the RB22 under the new regulations. This could drag Red Bull down to being a midfield team come 2026. No, not only because of Newey leaving, but because of the overall impact this move could have on the team such as other important people packing their bags, too.
Last edited by LM10 on 03 May 2024, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

deadhead

LM10 wrote:
03 May 2024, 00:12
Newey's departure the confirmation of things not going well. Regardless of the Horner saga he obviously does not want to work on which would be the RB22 under the new regulations. This could drag Red Bull down to being a midfield team come 2026. No, not only because of Newey leaving, but because of the overall impact this move could have on the team such as other important people packing their bags, too.
Aero and chassis will be top tier, RBR's performance, or the lack there of, would be mostly related to their engine.