McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: McLaren MCL38

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Dafnalina wrote:
03 May 2024, 16:48
mwillems wrote:
03 May 2024, 16:42
Most of the changes won't add time, they are simply to let the airflow make its way correctly around the car.

Most of the important work is around conditioning the flow at the front and how the floor uses it. Front and rear geometry changes are to stop the airflow being impeded. Same with front corner and the inlet. Engine cover is about the flow to the rear.

Two things here are to generate time. The wing and the floor. The rest is largely about retaining flow through and around the car.

After 18 months I can finally stop banging on about the front of the car conditioning the air!! 🤣🤣🤣
Sorry, could you explain what was the issue with the way the front of the car conditioned the air? What was the effect on the car?
I can say for myself: it directly affects drag, as well as the flow of air along the body of the car with the steering wheel turned, in short.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Mansell89
Mansell89

I think suspension and floor have seemingly long been seen as Neweys magic on the Red Bull so I’m quietly hopeful that these suspension and floor updates might be the key that finally unlocks the door to those win-threatening gains and crucially that pace and tyre management on Sundays.

May not necessarily see the lap time this weekend as it’s an odd circuit, but hopefully these updates deliver the sort of step we all hope for!

deadhead

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

there is a flattening of the upper front arm closer to the outside where it meets the wheel hub.

Luscion
Luscion

Reshaped sidepod inlet and top wing element. (both images from the upgraded car)

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

mwillems wrote:
Most of the changes won't add time, they are simply to let the airflow make its way correctly around the car. The volume of changes won't inform the laptime gain.

Most of the important work is around conditioning the flow at the front and how the floor uses it. Front and rear geometry changes are to stop the airflow being impeded. Same with front corner and the inlet. Engine cover is about the flow to the rear.

Two things here are to generate time. The wing and the floor. The rest is largely about retaining flow through and around the car.

After 18 months I can finally stop banging on about the front of the car conditioning the air!! 🤣🤣🤣
Actually by letting the airflow make its way correctly around the car, you gain time. Unless you define “correct airflow” in a different way.

Luscion
Luscion

Upgraded Mclaren

mwillems

Dafnalina wrote:
03 May 2024, 16:48
mwillems wrote:
Most of the changes won't add time, they are simply to let the airflow make its way correctly around the car.

Sorry, could you explain what was the issue with the way the front of the car conditioned the air? What was the effect on the car?
The wing didn't work well in low load conditions. This was triggered by low df config, low speed and when airflow was approaching the wing from the side.

The effect would have affected how the car cleaned air going to the rear and to the side of the car, I.pacting the rear wing and diffuser performance and affecting the seal of the floor as the dirty air messed with the vortices.

The airflow to the floor may not have been optimal. Thus would have meant a lack of DF all over the car with a particularly weak nose.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

kfrantzios wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:10
mwillems wrote:
Most of the changes won't add time, they are simply to let the airflow make its way correctly around the car. The volume of changes won't inform the laptime gain.

Actually by letting the airflow make its way correctly around the car, you gain time. Unless you define “correct airflow” in a different way.
True, since it affects drag.

mwillems

kfrantzios wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:10
mwillems wrote:

It was already going round the car correctly. Those parts needed adapting to work with the new airflow. They aren't finding time in themselves. Apart from the inlet perhaps.
Last edited by mwillems on 03 May 2024, 17:18, edited 2 times in total.

venkyhere
venkyhere

That laundry list of updates doesn't look like an 'update', looks like a completely new car, the kind of change that happens during the season end winter break.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems

Can't really tell properly but the front wing seems to still be shaped like the spoon of the main plane.