2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Well we didn't make it out of Q1 with either car last year so comparisons there are virtually irrelevant!

Gillian
Gillian

Mansell89 wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:01
In general and putting lap time to one side, I thought the car just looked really nice today- hard to explain but to me it had a better agility- I thought sometimes it looked a little stiff and complaining where Red Bull excels, but my untrained eye thought we could see a car that did things more easily.

Very rare for us to be near top of times in an opening session too- bodes well
I had the same feeling. I want to see the race pace.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:24
LionsHeart wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:08
mwillems, I don’t agree with you on one thing. You don't have to wait until Saturday and Sunday to see the effectiveness of DRS. I don’t remember what the increase was exactly a year ago here in Miami, but what I saw now is very, very impressive.
But I did say that top speed would be improved in both Qualy and Race, so you are agreeing with me, it's just that you don't like to do that :D

It is the corners and the tyre deg that will not be fully revealed until Sunday as you also state.
mwillems wrote:
03 May 2024, 20:29
Top speed is better and should be true over a lap or a race. But what is more important is what is the car like through the corners when fully fuelled. We were always pretty good in qualification though we do look closer, but the real results won't come until Sunday even if we do well today and tomorrow.
Oh sorry. I didn't read your message carefully the first time. My mistake.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:24
LionsHeart wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:08
mwillems, I don’t agree with you on one thing. You don't have to wait until Saturday and Sunday to see the effectiveness of DRS. I don’t remember what the increase was exactly a year ago here in Miami, but what I saw now is very, very impressive.
Indeed it is. A lot to digest here - imagine what the data analysis team's going through before SQ! I suspect (as I did at Austria '23) that not running the full upgrade on Oscar's car is comparison analysis rather than manufacturing constraints. Really good for understanding the package. Interestingly Lando's top speeds were better than the car with less upgrades - do we know which components?

After a lot of confusing and contradictory comments by Stella, Norris and Piastri in recent weeks about the upgrade we are now seeing a full-send, radical set of upgrades as we hoped back in March. It will as you say, be interesting to see the DRS offset in following sessions.
But I think that the team simply did not have time to bring spare parts for both cars, since spare parts are required for each car.

This is a time cost when a team tries to deliver parts earlier than they originally planned.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Emag wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:28
Ground Effect wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:18
Any long runs available?
Nobody did any "real" longrun stints. But the cars were relatively heavy-fueled early in the session.

A comparable stint with Carlos and Lando had them pacing at similar laptimes immediately after setting their respective fastest laps.

Carlos -> opened with 31.5 then 31.8 and 31.8
Lando -> opened with 31.0 then 31.5, 31.6 and 31.9

Not sure if that's indicative of bad degradation compared to Ferrari, or just a bad closing lap by Lando.
You're assuming that everything else would have been equal here. There's almost nothing to read into such scant data. Red Bull's never dipped under 32.0 on their 'long runs'.

Emag
Emag

Seanspeed wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:41
Emag wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:28
Ground Effect wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:18
Any long runs available?
Nobody did any "real" longrun stints. But the cars were relatively heavy-fueled early in the session.

A comparable stint with Carlos and Lando had them pacing at similar laptimes immediately after setting their respective fastest laps.

Carlos -> opened with 31.5 then 31.8 and 31.8
Lando -> opened with 31.0 then 31.5, 31.6 and 31.9

Not sure if that's indicative of bad degradation compared to Ferrari, or just a bad closing lap by Lando.
You're assuming that everything else would have been equal here. There's almost nothing to read into such scant data. Red Bull's never dipped under 32.0 on their 'long runs'.
I am just assuming because the stints happened under similar circumstances and the laptimes were not so far apart from each other.

I should have said though, that the information is mostly useless. Being the only practice session of the weekend, run plans differ vastly between teams depending on what they prioritize or lack information off.

mwillems

Stella saying that both cars had the new front wing?

“We tested a combination of the upgrades and still there was enough communication between the parts of the car that it was possible to upgrade with 50 per cent,” he explained.

“It is the front wing on one car without necessarily having to modify the floor and the sidepods at the same time.”

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/05/ ... d_id=51267
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

CjC
CjC

Only just catching up with the footage but to me it looks like Oscar had the new front wing on and Lando had the old one…

Correction, I’ve seen some pics of Landos car in the car thread with the new wing on
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:57
Only just catching up with the footage but to me it looks like Oscar had the new front wing on and Lando had the old one…

Correction, I’ve seen some pics of Landos car in the car thread with the new wing on
Yeah I think they both had the new wing on.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:

They were doing a lot of correlation tests early on the session. Both Lando and Oscar had runs with both the old and the new front wing.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

CjC wrote:

Yes sir. Oscar rode out with a new wing from the very beginning, and Lando only rode with a new wing closer to the middle.

Darth-Piekus

Are there pictures to compare the old car and the new upgraded car?

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 May 2024, 22:10
Are there pictures to compare the old car and the new upgraded car?
Check the car hardware thread. Not that many comparison pics but there's 1 or 2

Darth-Piekus

I did check and the changes are significant. We might have a good chance for a pole today and tomorrow.

I'm hearing that in the 2026 rules we are gonna have active aerodynamics like the old active suspension that Williams had in 1992 and I have a feeling apart from Andrian Newey I'm not sure who else has seen active aerodynamics.

organic

So Zak Brown said Oscar is probably at a deficit of 0.2s/lap due to not running the full package. Stella estimated that Oscar had about "50%" of the package. So does that mean the total package is worth roughly 4 tenths?