2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: 2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

DGP123 wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:21
organic wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:18
Norris bottled again.
Said it many times. Norris is nowhere near good enough to challenge Max. Too many errors. Nowhere near his level.
McL was bad on soft tyres.... Lets see what the GP brings.

Cs98
Cs98

dialtone wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:43
organic wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:40
dialtone wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:33
Lando didn't bottle anything up. We don't need to have these reactions each time. The driver cannot outdrive the car.
He did make a mistake though. He said on inlap he pushed too hard and I believe the telemetry will show a significant error in sector 1. Lando was significantly slower than Piastri in S1 (29.8s)
What's a good driver supposed to say? We don't know exactly what he had to deal with setup wise there so it's hard for us to tell if the mistake was his or simply the car balance was different with the softs and not able to deal with the same cornering as he did with the mediums.

All we know is that MCL went from 1-2 to far back, both drivers bottled up with similar gaps? Sounds to me it's more the car.
That he made a mistake?

Sieper

dialtone wrote:
Lando didn't bottle anything up. We don't need to have these reactions each time. The driver cannot outdrive the car. McLaren are clearly having tire issues and the track is too hot. Tomorrow will be hotter still but Sunday should be cooler and they will be fine in the race on sunday on the harder compounds, tire deg remains to be seen and there's tomorrow for that.
I also find this annoying. The knives are out immediately when it suits someones view. Leclerc has a moment in FP, gets cancelled straight away. Is on P2. Lando has a moment, that you can easily have around here. He is a choker. He isn’t. It is just a lap without much preparation where it can easily go wrong.

organic

Sieper wrote:
04 May 2024, 00:15
dialtone wrote:
Lando didn't bottle anything up. We don't need to have these reactions each time. The driver cannot outdrive the car. McLaren are clearly having tire issues and the track is too hot. Tomorrow will be hotter still but Sunday should be cooler and they will be fine in the race on sunday on the harder compounds, tire deg remains to be seen and there's tomorrow for that.
I also find this annoying. The knives are out immediately when it suits someones view. Leclerc has a moment in FP, gets cancelled straight away. Is on P2. Lando has a moment, that you can easily have around here. He is a choker. He isn’t. It is just a lap without much preparation where it can easily go wrong.
There is now a mountain of evidence that suggests Lando does choke in big moments

And I won't talk about Leclerc and mistakes since it's a controversial issue, but that it comes up so much says enough

When Verstappen races harshly wheel to wheel with somebody (eg forcing someone off) the knives come out for that immediately. You lose benefit of the doubt when there is a significant pattern

Sieper

organic wrote:
04 May 2024, 00:19
Sieper wrote:
04 May 2024, 00:15
dialtone wrote:
There is now a mountain of evidence that suggests Lando does choke in big moments

And I won't talk about Leclerc and mistakes since it's a controversial issue, but that it comes up so much says enough

When Verstappen races harshly wheel to wheel with somebody (eg forcing someone off) the knives come out for that immediately. You lose benefit of the doubt when there is a significant pattern
Ooh the reason people are always hating on Verstappen is a whole nother.

There isn’t a pattern here. Lando got extremely unlucky with a rain shower and ever since people are making it fit. I think he is a high quality driver. Maybe he wants to prove himself a bit too much.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

maxxer wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:54
I dont agree at all , teams who dont score points will dissappear more quickly , its not like soccer when you can be demoted to a different division.
If teams cant fight for points they shouldnt be in f1 or come back scoring. Otherwise it would be a useless competition because if they still get points for bad results they will just change owners (investor companies) who do not inevest but just cash in on the points won that year.
Why would we want teams to 'disappear more quickly'? In what way is that a good thing? This isn't soccer. This isn't a sport just anybody can jump in and do. It requires a huge amount of dedication and resources.

You're also doing that same thing I was talking about thinking that scoring points has some extra mystical relevance other than just being a useful recording measurement for finishing position.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

DGP123 wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:14
Norris has ballsed it up. Not good enough
The mandated tire compounds ruined the fun of qualifying. The Mclaren wasn't dialed into the soft at the end.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Max was sure a bit sheepish at the end..

GP says "that's P1"

Max "Really ? Where were the others ? Huh.. I'll take it"

Sounds like Max was expecting a fight at the end and it never happened. I think because of the mandated compounds

dialtone
dialtone

organic wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:46
He also just gave an interview in paddock where he said he pushed too hard and made an error at Turn 1

I'm not sure exactly what we're doing here... Look at the onboard and tell me what mistake he made.

This is his SQ2 lap vs SQ3 lap.

Right after T1 he's already sliding around in acceleration and he's not going any faster than his SQ2 lap.

Look at the onboard and you can see that the car doesn't stay on track while he's doing nothing weird with it.

He's just saying the right thing to say with the knowledge he has on track rather than straight up blame the team. Something went wrong in the preparation, he doesn't know what, he doesn't feel like blaming the world and just says that he made mistakes in S1. Seems normal to me.

organic

You can't see that he brakes too late and carries too much speed through T1 (in the process missing the apex) which compromises his line massively for 2 so when he tries to take the kerb he's thrown off it which in turn screws him for T3. Essentially a spiral after messing up T1

Here's Norris' entry to T2

Here's a normal entry to T2

He commits to T2 with similar entry speed he usually has (trying to save the lap after T1 error) but with the significantly compromised line. This is what ruins the lap
Last edited by organic on 04 May 2024, 01:23, edited 3 times in total.

Madhouse

organic wrote:
04 May 2024, 01:12
You can't see that he brakes too late and carries too much speed through T1 (in the process missing the apex) which compromises his line massively for 2 so when he tries to take the kerb he's thrown off it which in turn screws him for T3. Essentially a spiral after messing up T1

Here's Norris' entry to T2

https://i.imgur.com/8r6jtWT.jpeg

Here's a normal entry to T2

https://i.imgur.com/gYia9pE.jpeg
Agreed, goes to confirm Lando chokes in the big moments.

dialtone
dialtone

organic wrote:
He commits to T2 with similar entry speed he usually has (trying to save the lap after T1 error) but with the significantly compromised line. This is what ruins the lap
He barely misses the apex in T1, still better apex than LEC anyway, and similar line to LEC into T2, the car goes out from under him while he's accelerating for T2 after having nicely hit the T2 apex.

And he's on softs rather then mediums, you are supposed to brake later, that's why they are softs...

Anyway hey, Lando isn't my driver so I'm not going to defend him further, but this is really weird to me.

organic

dialtone wrote:
04 May 2024, 01:34
organic wrote:
He barely misses the apex in T1, still better apex than LEC anyway, and similar line to LEC into T2, the car goes out from under him while he's accelerating for T2 after having nicely hit the T2 apex.

And he's on softs rather then mediums, you are supposed to brake later, that's why they are softs...

Anyway hey, Lando isn't my driver so I'm not going to defend him further, but this is really weird to me.
You came in here being patronising & like there were no mistakes in lando's S1
I'm not sure exactly what we're doing here... Look at the onboard and tell me what mistake he made.
when there are multiple obvious mistakes to any racer. He takes too tight of a line into 2 with too much speed and gets spat off the kerb with a snap of oversteer which he has to correct which leaves him tight for T3 and the cycle repeats.

What's weird about pointing out that the tyres weren't the issue? Lando himself says that he made multiple errors at T1 and that caused further issues that added up to a lot of time loss. So believe what you want but it is fantasy

dialtone
dialtone

I’m patronizing nobody. You were all calling lando names, don’t flip the story

Paa

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
04 May 2024, 01:06
Max was sure a bit sheepish at the end..

GP says "that's P1"

Max "Really ? Where were the others ? Huh.. I'll take it"

Sounds like Max was expecting a fight at the end and it never happened. I think because of the mandated compounds
He simply was not happy with his lap, and rightly so as it was not a great one.
And was just surprised about still getting the pole, I guess he expected to be overtaken by few people.