2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
05 May 2024, 14:36
I've said it here already, McLaren had very decent Top Speed with DRS on and on top of the charts with DRS off. This was even with launch spec bodywork, while now they are matching RB and Ferrari on Top Speed with DRS on. The wing is designed with lower flap angle, thus generating less drag when the flap is down. This is also a more efficient aero design for a rear wing. The fact that DRS delta is small is not a bad thing per se. Mercedes has lowish DRS delta like McLaren, but their base drag is higher - making their compromise poor overall.

In racing terms, McLaren is hard to overtake as we've seen many times already. However, they don't have any more problems to overtake others than usual. Again, this is opposite of Mercedes at the moment
I can only confirm your words. On my own behalf, I’ll just add that Mercedes here uses the rear wing as in Suzuka and Shanghai. You could say they use medium-high downforce, McLaren average, but Williams actually uses a wing for Monza.

In the same Shanghai, Mercedes used a loaded beam wing, unlike McLaren. And to Miami, McLaren brought an even more unloaded light-weight beam wing. All this only confirms last season, when they (Merc) lacked grip from the rear tires, or lacked overall balance and stability in medium-speed and fast corners.

dia6olo
dia6olo

LionsHeart wrote:
Just looking at these two photos makes me inspired.
https://i.ibb.co/0n0Fy1q/1-AD16-CDB-5-C ... -C7-F6.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Kqk4Bw9/F8221-E7-B-02- ... B8-D50.jpg
McLaren are losing 1.5 tenths to both RBR & Ferrari in those 2 sets of turns.
Not a huge amount but in F1 not a small amount either.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

dia6olo wrote:
05 May 2024, 14:49
LionsHeart wrote:
Yes, I know. I even know why. To avoid overheating the tires. The drivers and team quickly learn from their mistakes.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I think it would be better if Mclaren gambled and stuck with their friday setup. They aren't going to pass any cars with this higher downforce setting.

mclaren111

AR3-GP wrote:
05 May 2024, 15:04
I think it would be better if Mclaren gambled and stuck with their friday setup. They aren't going to pass any cars with this higher downforce setting.

Parc Ferme now...

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

propercare
propercare

dia6olo wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
Is this data from Qualifying or Sprint? If Qualifying, it is a bit different how you take those corners if looking for the tires so it might be different in the race itself.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

propercare wrote:
05 May 2024, 15:22
dia6olo wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
Is this data from Qualifying or Sprint? If Qualifying, it is a bit different how you take those corners if looking for the tires so it might be different in the race itself.
From Saturday quali.

The situation is that I was informed that McLaren was losing 0.15 seconds in the first corners. For me this is not a problem, because the reason for this is clear. I have already read in-depth interviews from various riders and other conclusions. In general, the whole reason is the asphalt, which has become 30% more abrasive compared to last year, as well as hot conditions.

The problem is that the drivers had to take care of their tires already at the exit from the pitlane, trying not to overheat the rear tires. That's why Lando didn't attack in the first sector. The experience of sprint qualifying showed that it is easy to overdo the attack and the chassis begins to slide.

mclaren111

QUALIFYING TOP SPEEDS (and change vs SQ)

Teams could change setup after the Sprint:
-Sauber/Aston/Alpine reduced their drag significantly📈
-Merc trimmed their wing slightly: +3km/h➡️Will make attacking 'less impossible'!👌
-McL added load: from 3rd fastest to slowest🛠️

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

LionsHeart wrote:
05 May 2024, 15:31
propercare wrote:
dia6olo wrote:

From Saturday quali.

The situation is that I was informed that McLaren was losing 0.15 seconds in the first corners. For me this is not a problem, because the reason for this is clear. I have already read in-depth interviews from various riders and other conclusions. In general, the whole reason is the asphalt, which has become 30% more abrasive compared to last year, as well as hot conditions.

The problem is that the drivers had to take care of their tires already at the exit from the pitlane, trying not to overheat the rear tires. That's why Lando didn't attack in the first sector. The experience of sprint qualifying showed that it is easy to overdo the attack and the chassis begins to slide.
Any source for the track been 30% more abrasive?

organic

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 May 2024, 15:58
LionsHeart wrote:
propercare wrote:

From Saturday quali.

Mark Hughes:
Pirelli’s assessment of the track surface фы having a micro roughness 30% greater than last year, probably as a result of the super high-pressure water treatment it had received since then. With the gap between the small stones so much greater, there is less chemical bonding between the rubber and the track’s surface.
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mark ... qus_thread

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
05 May 2024, 13:20
mwillems wrote:
05 May 2024, 10:00
We actually look decent here. It's possible we could get a podium.

But I think Sprint Qualifying gave off some unrealistic expectations.
Nothing like this. The point is completely different, Lando completed a lap on the Medium in 1:27.597. A day later, Soft set the tires to 1:27.594. Either the track doesn't evolve, or Lando is right that they made a mistake with the settings.

The increase in speed between Friday and Saturday is very small. Moreover, it is even smaller between Q1 and Q3.
I disagree. We are still fast on the mediums, faster than most others I expect. The issue was with the softs and I expect the car to continue to be competitive here on the tyres that favour us.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
05 May 2024, 16:26
LionsHeart wrote:
05 May 2024, 13:20
mwillems wrote:
05 May 2024, 10:00
We actually look decent here. It's possible we could get a podium.

But I think Sprint Qualifying gave off some unrealistic expectations.
Nothing like this. The point is completely different, Lando completed a lap on the Medium in 1:27.597. A day later, Soft set the tires to 1:27.594. Either the track doesn't evolve, or Lando is right that they made a mistake with the settings.

The increase in speed between Friday and Saturday is very small. Moreover, it is even smaller between Q1 and Q3.
I disagree. We are still fast on the mediums, faster than most others I expect. The issue was with the softs and I expect the car to continue to be competitive here on the tyres that favour us.
I can agree with you that the soft tires quickly ran out of their operating range and were not suitable for the given conditions on the track. It's like that. Too hot and extreme for tires. There will be no problems with medium and hard in the race. But the reason is different: the track itself has become slower. All the cars drove slower. Usually it turns out the other way around, because cars progress in 1 year.

You yourself said about unrealistic expectations. My expectations were quite realistic and I saw that McLaren had halved the gap with Red Bull. Pole was not possible because the conditions for all cars were beyond the capabilities of the soft tyres. If we now lower the asphalt temperature to an acceptable 32-35 degrees Celsius, then McLaren will be in the top 2 in terms of race pace.

In general, you and I are again talking about different things, at first we present different arguments to each other, but in general we are talking about the same things, we are just approaching the problem from different sides. :D
Last edited by LionsHeart on 05 May 2024, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

Vanja #66 wrote:
I've said it here already, McLaren had very decent Top Speed with DRS on and on top of the charts with DRS off. This was even with launch spec bodywork, while now they are matching RB and Ferrari on Top Speed with DRS on. The wing is designed with lower flap angle, thus generating less drag when the flap is down. This is also a more efficient aero design for a rear wing. The fact that DRS delta is small is not a bad thing per se. Mercedes has lowish DRS delta like McLaren, but their base drag is higher - making their compromise poor overall.

In racing terms, McLaren is hard to overtake as we've seen many times already. However, they don't have any more problems to overtake others than usual. Again, this is opposite of Mercedes at the moment
Yes it is pretty clear that we have a slippy car, this much was immediately evident and the car has been fine in a straight line all season. The DRS is though still less efficient than others and you can see the Mclaren surpassed a little when the DRS is open, but not to any really meaningful degree. Ferrari also are running a little less wing. So everything is within parameters of a good car.

Despite the softs being better in Main Qualifying, we were unable to get the softs to work for us still but the mediums do clearly still have pace for us, being only 2 tenths slower on the mediums than on the new softs in Q3.
Last edited by mwillems on 05 May 2024, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

organic wrote:
05 May 2024, 16:20
SmallSoldier wrote:
05 May 2024, 15:58
LionsHeart wrote:

From Saturday quali.

Mark Hughes:
Pirelli’s assessment of the track surface фы having a micro roughness 30% greater than last year, probably as a result of the super high-pressure water treatment it had received since then. With the gap between the small stones so much greater, there is less chemical bonding between the rubber and the track’s surface.
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mark ... qus_thread
You'd think that high powered pressure washing would actually smooth things out more, no?