2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ashwinv16

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Currently the issues with the cars stability have been completely fixed. Expect them to be competitive in Barcelona in quali like in China. Race pace is a question mark, but a few tweaks to the car has helped them. They made a wrong move in in set-up in FP3 but this gave them a clear picture of what not to do anymore. Currently there is two issue
- Traction out of slow corners (which is using up the tires cause they have to push hard to keep up)
- Weight transfer issues cause car to lean onto the tires (can be fixed by better aero though)
The car has better efficiency than the Mercedes and Mclaren and it's getting better with every race (at the cost of traction)

A Aero upgrade is coming in Spain to fix the final part of the balance issues, in the rear. Hopefully some improvement,.
Halo not as bad as we thought

RoadRep
RoadRep

diffuser wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 21:14

I appreciate the "honest" translation. That doesn't sound like what you said "Alonso said after Q that setup changes made after FP3 were no good. He was on the edge all the time and that made him lose time in a few corners, " .

You're taking the 'if everything would have been in place.' to mean the setups went backwards. I think he's refereeing to what he said on radio " the oversteer in turn 2". To which he then had to push even harder to make up for the lost time in turn 2. That's what he said on the English post quail interview anyways....
I wasn't quoting him on being on the edge. Just about the setup changes. I was just expressing what I saw on his lap. In any case, his words about risky setup changes and how the car handled are what made me imply that changes went backwards and that he was not pushing comfortably.
About the "honest" translation, I'm not a native english speaker so I could be wrong on my wording, but spanish is my first language. On the last bit he says: "those 2 tenths today hurt more". I know he wasn't going to last in the same position on an average day but anything could have happened with all these changing conditions.

diffuser

RoadRep wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 23:52
diffuser wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 21:14

I appreciate the "honest" translation. That doesn't sound like what you said "Alonso said after Q that setup changes made after FP3 were no good. He was on the edge all the time and that made him lose time in a few corners, " .

You're taking the 'if everything would have been in place.' to mean the setups went backwards. I think he's refereeing to what he said on radio " the oversteer in turn 2". To which he then had to push even harder to make up for the lost time in turn 2. That's what he said on the English post quail interview anyways....
I wasn't quoting him on being on the edge. Just about the setup changes. I was just expressing what I saw on his lap. In any case, his words about risky setup changes and how the car handled are what made me imply that changes went backwards and that he was not pushing comfortably.
About the "honest" translation, I'm not a native english speaker so I could be wrong on my wording, but spanish is my first language. On the last bit he says: "those 2 tenths today hurt more". I know he wasn't going to last in the same position on an average day but anything could have happened with all these changing conditions.
No worries, I'm from Italian desent, I speak 3 languages often all in the same sentence. So I get it. What you wrote sounds very good.

Jambier

Ashwinv16 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 23:08
Currently the issues with the cars stability have been completely fixed. Expect them to be competitive in Barcelona in quali like in China. Race pace is a question mark, but a few tweaks to the car has helped them. They made a wrong move in in set-up in FP3 but this gave them a clear picture of what not to do anymore. Currently there is two issue
- Traction out of slow corners (which is using up the tires cause they have to push hard to keep up)
- Weight transfer issues cause car to lean onto the tires (can be fixed by better aero though)
The car has better efficiency than the Mercedes and Mclaren and it's getting better with every race (at the cost of traction)

A Aero upgrade is coming in Spain to fix the final part of the balance issues, in the rear. Hopefully some improvement,.
Let's hope, those F1 are very sensitive, a car that dominate and won Monaco, was nowhere in Canada.

Mercedes had a lot of struggles, and then since a couple of race they seem to have find a way to fix the balance / are in the way to do it.

So clearly Aston is not fine right now, but I think a few changes, understanding and they can unlock more from the car

Vanja #66

You know how things stand when Alonso hails a P6 and P7 as a fantastic race... :(
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

-wkst-
-wkst-

motorsport network article (in german) with quotes from the drivers and Krack.
https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... r-24061107

To sum it up:

STR thinks that Barcelona will be more difficult than Montreal. Car is efficient and has a good DRS effect, all things good for Montreal. But not so much DF and difficiult in long corners (bad for Barcelona or Budapest). He thinks that they will solve their problems, but not over night.

Krack can't say by now if they solved their balance problems, which (the balance problems) could be exposed way more at high DF tracks with long corners.

ALO says that the team works hard to bring updates to Barcelona but also says that Montreal looks better on paper than Barcelona. The last months were productive in understanding the car. Some of the updates introduced so far need finetuning set-up wise.

diffuser

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 12:57
You know how things stand when Alonso hails a P6 and P7 as a fantastic race... :(
Being 5th fastest, you're always fighting for a max of 3 points(typically), if both cars finish in the points. To finish with 14 points is a great haul, it's 50% of RBvCarb's point and 25% of AMRs.

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 16:21
https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... r-24061107

To sum it up:

STR thinks that Barcelona will be more difficult than Montreal. Car is efficient and has a good DRS effect, all things good for Montreal. But not so much DF and difficiult in long corners (bad for Barcelona or Budapest). He thinks that they will solve their problems, but not over night.

Krack can't say by now if they solved their balance problems, which (the balance problems) could be exposed way more at high DF tracks with long corners.

ALO says that the team works hard to bring updates to Barcelona but also says that Montreal looks better on paper than Barcelona. The last months were productive in understanding the car. Some of the updates introduced so far need finetuning set-up wise.

Wow and we're heading into a tripple header with a sprint in Austria.

Sherrinford
Sherrinford

diffuser wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 17:04
-wkst- wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 16:21
https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel-1/news/fernando-alonso-rechne-beim-heimrennen-nicht-mit-einem-wunder-24061107

To sum it up:

Wow and we're heading into a tripple header with a sprint in Austria.
Currently we cannot say that the balance problems have been resolved, Alonso still seems to have some oversteer which does not allow him to express the maximum potential of the car. The "triple head" will hopefully help in finding the right configuration both in setup and in the expression of updates

KimiRai
KimiRai

Aston Martin could bring changes to the floor in Barcelona according to the latest information, most likely the aero upgrade Ashwinv16 mentioned (I wonder how you knew, but magicians never reveal their secrets I guess... :wink: )
Last edited by KimiRai on 11 Jun 2024, 21:01, edited 5 times in total.

SSJ4
SSJ4

Yeah basically.
@carlosmiquelf1 believes that Aston Martin will bring modifications to the floor for the Spanish GP:

"It can partially alleviate the problems of the aerodynamic kit that they debuted in Imola"

Nikosar
Nikosar

Lawrence Stroll is currently working to ease the huge Aston Martin's $1,4 billion debt , in his recent interview , he stated " “We are currently studying with our bankers the most appropriate actions of how to deal with it,”

We know he appointed a new CEO for Aston Martin, but it seems that the delayed EV car plan has a major impact in finding investors and solutions.

The outcome of this will have a big effect on Aston Martin F1.

Ferrari stated years ago that the results of Formula One races directly affect sales of their vehicles; for this reason, Aston Martin's Formula One performances go beyond aiming for the podium.

Stroll Sr. may therefore opt for a significant change in the coming weeks.

organic

Canada has basically 1 type of corner (slow and chicanes). Cars with instability or aero map flaws can overperform at this circuit. Barcelona, Austria and Silverstone will be more of a challenge with respect to the balance

zoroastar
zoroastar

it sucks that alonsos last victory was in barcelona several years back with ferrari, and ever since then, decent car or not, the teams hes been at have been bad at barcelona haha. he hasnt had a really good home race in over a decade. aston need to do something about that. i doubt itll be this year though. fingers crossed

diffuser

zoroastar wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 02:55
it sucks that alonsos last victory was in barcelona several years back with ferrari, and ever since then, decent car or not, the teams hes been at have been bad at barcelona haha. he hasnt had a really good home race in over a decade. aston need to do something about that. i doubt itll be this year though. fingers crossed
2012 with Ferrari no less.