Comparison of all 2011 cars

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Re: Comparison of all 2011 cars

marekk wrote:....
EDIT:
Forgot to mention, other cars in front of Renault are driven by 4 WDC, no 2010's rookies and last minute substitute drivers - could make difference IMO.
Lets not forget Hamilton though, just beacuse they're rookies dont count them out, but i do agree that the caliber of drivers ahead of the Renault team is considerable
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

raymondu999

Huh? I'm thinking marekk included hamilton when he came up with "4 WDC" :?

Button; Hamilton; Alonso; Vettel at least. Schumi right now isn't performing like a WDC; so that doesn't really count atm.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Jeffsvilleusa

Formula None- did you take those pics at the grand prix?
Box! Box!

marekk
marekk

raymondu999 wrote:Huh? I'm thinking marekk included hamilton when he came up with "4 WDC" :?

Button; Hamilton; Alonso; Vettel at least. Schumi right now isn't performing like a WDC; so that doesn't really count atm.
Yeah, merc at the moment is behind renault (at least in the point tables).

raymondu999

Oh I get it!! Apologies to Robbonobo.

What Robbonobo means is, "Let's not forget what Hamilton could do in 2007, or what JV did in 1996, when they were both rookies. You shouldn't count rookies out." :P

I thought you meant don't forget that hamilton is a wdc :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

kakogohrena wrote:China, race:

with slider
interesting to see the difference in front wing design on the Slider pictures.
the Mclaren FW has a very deep and flat main place, with the 2 angled elements being very steep and flat, as well as quite shallow in the their individual depth.. when compared to the RBR wing which has a very shallow main plane (which allows for the 2nd element to be attached to the FIA middle section) and the 2 angled elements appear to have a much greater surface area and progressive increase in the angle of attack.

kakogohrena
kakogohrena

raymondu999

kakogohrena wrote:Image
slide
Not a very effective comparison mate; the front wings are off. Or is that just the wheelbases?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ethanehunt
ethanehunt

It depends which part of the 90s. In 1993 the best F1 cars had Anti-Lock Brakes, traction control, launch control and active suspension, but these were all banned in 1994. Even nowadays, these electronic aids are not allowed in F1 cars. Thus, for a long period of time the 1993 cars were effectively the most technologically-advanced cars in F1, and probably remained so until about 2002 or 2003. If I had to compare the 1993 Williams FW15C car (considered to be the best that season, and the last car for a long time to have electronic aids) with the current Red Bull (which has KERS and DRS but no traction control and other electronic aids), the Red Bull would win hands-down. This is because of its great aerodynamic efficiency which allows it to corner much faster and so requires less braking going into a bend. It might be true that the 93 cars had a bigger engine (and hence more top speed) but this only made the car go faster on a long straight and the modern cars have DRS on the straight anyway. What the 1993 car gained on the straights it lost in the curves, so on an overall lap the modern cars would lap faster. This does not mean that the modern cars are the fastest ever - most lap records during a race are still held by the 2004 cars, which basically had slightly less aerodynamics but a more powerful engine (unrestricted V10 as opposed to the modern 18,000 rpm V8).

raymondu999

The stable rules for the last 3 years have certainly closed things up haven't they? I think it was obvious from today that the McLaren is the fastest race car; and judging from Vettel vs Button's qualifying laps; probably should have had pole too. Even more damning is how the Red Bull's old playground of high speed - Hungaroring; Suzuka; Barcelona, have all seen very fast McLarens; that were often faster, and even took care of their tyres better and switched the hards on earlier.

I just wish the regs weren't so restrictive - the only changes in the past few years have been just banning of this and that
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr.S
Mr.S

raymondu999 wrote:The stable rules for the last 3 years have certainly closed things up haven't they? I think it was obvious from today that the McLaren is the fastest race car; and judging from Vettel vs Button's qualifying laps; probably should have had pole too. Even more damning is how the Red Bull's old playground of high speed - Hungaroring; Suzuka; Barcelona, have all seen very fast McLarens; that were often faster, and even took care of their tyres better and switched the hards on earlier.

I just wish the regs weren't so restrictive - the only changes in the past few years have been just banning of this and that
Yea & RBR comfortably beat Mclaren even from behind in Korea.Also RBR won in SPA & MONZA even Montreal,where engine power & straightline speed is said to be the most important factor & the Renault engine in peak horsepower is set to lag Mercedes & Ferrari.

RBR has been the hands down quickest car so far,probably as quick as RB5 was. It's just that Seb made big mistakes & Alonso out-drove him completely in 2010 that is why the championship was decided so late. That & no technical issues this time.

As Ross said Seb's greatness will be judged not be seeing how great a qualifier is he but when he has the 2nd or 3rd quickest car & if he can do what Alonso did in 2010 & win with it & take the championship to the last race.

raymondu999

Mr.S wrote:As Ross said Seb's greatness will be judged not be seeing how great a qualifier is he but when he has the 2nd or 3rd quickest car & if he can do what Alonso did in 2010 & win with it & take the championship to the last race.
To be fair; S; Brawn never said that. What he did say was; could Seb help a 2nd/3rd quickest CAR develop to become the quickest. Brawn's comments were aimed more at team leading and technical feedback rather than on-track performances
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

donskar
donskar

Mr S wrote:
As Ross said Seb's greatness will be judged not be seeing how great a qualifier is he but when he has the 2nd or 3rd quickest car & if he can do what Alonso did in 2010 & win with it & take the championship to the last race.
We're not likely to see that scenario while Newey stays (motivated) at RBR. Now if he gets a little bored and starts thinking about designing yachts or airplanes or high-aero paperclips . . . THEN we might see Vettel fighting from behind. And then going to Ferrari. :lol:
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Richard
Richard

Here's an updated comparison with a doodle of the 2012 nose outline.

http://205.196.120.36/2d5b0134e3d59c73c ... 6fa36g.jpg

This was scaled from Scarb's post:

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/10/2 ... gulations/

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Thanks richard.

How accurate is the picture dimensionally speaking if I may ask?
More could have been done.
David Purley