Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

dren wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Blackout wrote:I heard Honda have combined the ES and the PCU into a sigle unit in 2015. Has Merc done the same? you dont see a PCU (which has been placed above the ES in the 2014 pictures) in the pics they realsed lately...
The engine ECU i thin has to be the standard Mclaren. I am not sure how Honda would combine them into one unit.. but maybe the software has the available space and capability to do it?
It's not the ICE ECU, it's most likely the drive controls for the MGUH & MGUK. The ICE ECU will tell the drive what it wants and the drive will make it happen.
Ok. yeah. I misread his post. I thought he meant McLaren will combine the power electronics control unit and the ICE control unit..
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

atlantis
atlantis

2015 Mercedes PU (apologies if it has already been posted)

atanatizante

Pat Symonds said after the launch of the new Williams FW38 that, I quote :
" Over the winter we can expect more power from improved combustion ... "
PR talk or he knows what his talking about ?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

skoop
skoop

Accoording to some statements/tweets here in the Forum the enige is not that much louder than last year's engine :cry:

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Power Unit: Mercedes-Benz PU106C Hybrid , Internal Combustion Engine : Capacity 1.6 litres, Cylinders Six, Bank angle 90, No of valves 24, Max rpm ICE 15,000 rpm, Max fuel flow rate 100 kg/hour (above 10,500 rpm)

Fuel injection: High-pressure direct injection (max 500 bar, one injector/cylinder), Pressure charging Single-stage compressor and exhaust turbine on a common shaft, Max rpm exhaust turbine 125,000 rpm
ERS: Mercedes AMG HPP

Juzh

LookBackTime wrote:Power Unit: Mercedes-Benz PU106C Hybrid , Internal Combustion Engine : Capacity 1.6 litres, Cylinders Six, Bank angle 90, No of valves 24, Max rpm ICE 15,000 rpm, Max fuel flow rate 100 kg/hour (above 10,500 rpm)

Fuel injection: High-pressure direct injection (max 500 bar, one injector/cylinder), Pressure charging Single-stage compressor and exhaust turbine on a common shaft, Max rpm exhaust turbine 125,000 rpm
ERS: Mercedes AMG HPP
:?:

PlatinumZealot

500 bar is confirmed here at least. So that is some new information.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

dren

PlatinumZealot wrote:500 bar is confirmed here at least. So that is some new information.
Didn't they run that high last season? Or was that just speculation?
Honda!

domh245
domh245

PlatinumZealot wrote:500 bar is confirmed here at least. So that is some new information.
I don't think that it is. Going by William's description of the FW37 from their webpage http://web.archive.org/web/201503262257 ... acing/fw37 they are quoting the same thing,
500 bar is just the maximum that the injectors can run at, they may not actually be running at it however.

kreuzass
kreuzass

skoop wrote:Accoording to some statements/tweets here in the Forum the enige is not that much louder than last year's engine :cry:
A bit more louder and more sound. In my opinion last year engine sound was nice. The sound out of the footage is just amazing. These turbos are brute. Love that sound.

atanatizante

I was reading that the tweaked rules for 2016 prevent factory outfits giving a lower-spec engine to its customers and Andy Cowell confirmed that in a video but I don`t find it anymore ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

giantfan10
giantfan10

atanatizante wrote:I was reading that the tweaked rules for 2016 prevent factory outfits giving a lower-spec engine to its customers and Andy Cowell confirmed that in a video but I don`t find it anymore ...
factory teams must give the same hardware to customer teams...does not mention optimal integration with chassis,cooling, fuels, lubrication or software IIRC. The engine manufacturer controls the engine completely as well as the software that controls that engine.. the customer teams dont even get to take the engine back to their factory after a grand prix weekend and through the entire weekend there is an engineer or 2 from the manufacturer in the customer garage "monitoring " the engine .
the equal engines for customer teams is a big fat myth :lol:

Powerslide

the airbox must have gone through a whole lot of design phase because so far in the world of turbcharged engines, i my own experience of course, i have never seen anything like it, they must be doing something to take advantage of that high density charge. airbox looks mor eakin to something from naturally aspirated engine although the 406 t16 hillclimb Peugeot did have some similar. i have seen some picture that the charge cool sits in front of the two covered holes

speed

gruntguru
gruntguru

The benefit will lie in MGUH recovery.

Even without variable intakes, the PU can dial up any air quantity required by simply increasing boost. With variable intake tuning, the VE can be maximized for all rpm conditions allowing a slight reduction in boost at rpm where the fixed manifold was not optimal. The lower boost means less compressor power therefore more surplus turbine power available to the mguh.
je suis charlie

michl420
michl420

Looks like the new mercedes engine have a even bigger intake plenum then last year. On every new mercedes powered car is above the engine a huge bump.