2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RS200E

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

People don't know that McLaren already have a massive budget even without Honda money and a title sponsor. As much as Mercedes? No, but the biggest budget isn't always a guarantee of success.

Also if you just go by the last couple of years McLaren were with Mercedes and saying they will be fighting against Force India and Williams, that's pure ignorance. If you can, rewind your brain 1 year back and Mclaren had the fastest car.

McLaren, if switching to Mercedes power will absolutely finish ahead of Force India and Williams and will eventually compete for wins. But of course that will take time. Not take time like Honda is taking time. Much quicker than that.

They should switch as soon as possible. Personally I'm excited about the switch.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

j.yank
j.yank

From the same Japanese media article above:

Before the Canadian Grand Prix, we could not make the update in time, and from around it began to hear various noises. Zak Brown, executive director of McLaren, invited a Reuters reporter to his office and articles that said "it is reaching the limits of patience" have run around.

However, the background is not only frustration against simple lack of performance, but also bargaining to advance domestic negotiations for the next season. In fact, Jonathan Neil of McLaren COO visited the headquarters of Honda in Aoyama and negotiated with the leaders including Takahiro Yachi, president and others, at the same time as this article.

Many of the remarks suggesting the resolution of partnership relations are merely issued as political bargaining rather than the development of frustration. The team's internal circumstances seem to be quite different.

HPD

This is teamwork. What Mclaren forgot..

HONDA: WE CONTINUE TO WORK AS ONE TEAM WITH MCLAREN

Amid reports that a split between McLaren and Honda is a done deal, the Japanese manufacturer are not commenting on what they term speculation and insist they are committed to overcome the problems together with the Woking based outfit.

When approached for comment by GP247, with regards to a split, a Honda spokesman said, “We do not comment on media speculation. We continue to work as one team with McLaren to overcome this tough situation together.”

He explained the problems, “One of the issues we are facing is with reliability. We have faced more reliability issues this season than we would have hoped, but we have reached the cause of all these issues and have countermeasures in place.”

“It is our intention to banish these on-going reliability issues completely as soon as possible so we focus on improving our performance.”

As for a solution to the woes, that most recently caused Fernando Alonso to retire while looking good for a top ten finish, the spokesman said, “We will not comment on any specific solutions.”

“We are continuing our development with the team and we believe we will conquer this situation. We have many resources dedicated to this, and we are 100% commitment to our Formula 1 project.”

Whatever the case there is no denying that patience has run thin among McLaren fans, sponsors and staff. Three years of no podiums and a woeful run this year, that has yet to yield a point, has done the image of Honda no favours.

“We appreciate all of the support the fans have been giving us, especially during this challenging situation,” acknowledged the team spokesman.

McLaren chiefs Zak Brown and Eric Boullier ramped up their criticism of their engine supplier before and after the race in Montreal, suggesting that a ‘divorce’ may well be in process.

But apparently, behind-the-scenes, the situation may not be as dire as it seems, the spokesman revealed, “We have good daily communication with McLaren, and we are committed to overcoming these problems together as one team, therefore we do not feel it is necessary to send them a message through the media.”

http://www.grandprix247.com/2017/06/14/ ... h-mclaren/

Jolle
Jolle

RS200E wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 18:06
People don't know that McLaren already have a massive budget even without Honda money and a title sponsor. As much as Mercedes? No, but the biggest budget isn't always a guarantee of success.

Also if you just go by the last couple of years McLaren were with Mercedes and saying they will be fighting against Force India and Williams, that's pure ignorance. If you can, rewind your brain 1 year back and Mclaren had the fastest car.

McLaren, if switching to Mercedes power will absolutely finish ahead of Force India and Williams and will eventually compete for wins. But of course that will take time. Not take time like Honda is taking time. Much quicker than that.

They should switch as soon as possible. Personally I'm excited about the switch.
The years that McLaren were the fastest car they not only had good backing by companies like Vodafone as a sponsor but they were also largely owned by Mercedes themselves. Their fall from grace started when Dennis had to buy back the stock and had to rely on their own funds.

Lots of money isn’t a guarantee for succes but it is more or less a condition for succes. You need either a big loophole in the rules (Brawn) of 1000+ engineers to have a shot at even a race win.

etusch

HPD wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 18:15

HONDA: we are committed to overcoming these problems together as one team, therefore we do not feel it is necessary to send them a message through the media.

Most important part. I like japanness people

RS200E

How you managed to find anything in my post to argue about is beyond me.

Yes they had money from Vodafone but that wasn't a defining factor in their success. Yes they were close partners with Mercedes and they separated, again that wasn't the defining factor to their decline. Choosing Honda was the only factor in their decline which I do blame Ron Dennis for. But again the money was not the main factor, it is Honda's performance or lack thereof that's the main factor.

McLaren can very much afford to pay for an engine, a top driver and have their usual aggressive update strategy etc. A title sponsor in needed to make more money for the company, doesn't affect the performance of the team.

Jolle wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 18:20
RS200E wrote:

The years that McLaren were the fastest car they not only had good backing by companies like Vodafone as a sponsor but they were also largely owned by Mercedes themselves. Their fall from grace started when Dennis had to buy back the stock and had to rely on their own funds.

Lots of money isn’t a guarantee for succes but it is more or less a condition for succes. You need either a big loophole in the rules (Brawn) of 1000+ engineers to have a shot at even a race win.

RS200E

How only Japanese people specifically? Shouldn't you like all nations?

If you mean you admire their hostory.and culture then ok, but we are talking about a specific group of people in a building who are not doing their job properly. What part of that do you like?

Are you clinging on to the Senna and Prost days and that 1 win for Jenson button?

As a long time McLaren fan there's nothing modern day Honda have shown to get my support. And I'm not going to support them while they drag McLaren down.

etusch wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 19:25
HPD wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 18:15

HONDA: we are committed to overcoming these problems together as one team, therefore we do not feel it is necessary to send them a message through the media.

Most important part. I like japanness people

Jolle
Jolle

RS200E wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 19:28
How you managed to find anything in my post to argue about is beyond me.

Yes they had money from Vodafone but that wasn't a defining factor in their success. Yes they were close partners with Mercedes and they separated, again that wasn't the defining factor to their decline. Choosing Honda was the only factor in their decline which I do blame Ron Dennis for. But again the money was not the main factor, it is Honda's performance or lack thereof that's the main factor.

McLaren can very much afford to pay for an engine, a top driver and have their usual aggressive update strategy etc. A title sponsor in needed to make more money for the company, doesn't affect the performance of the team.

Jolle wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 18:20
RS200E wrote:

McLaren and Mercedes didn't have a close partnership. Mercedes was the largest shareholder (40% of the shares) and were in talks of taking over the whole company at one point at the end of 2009. This is a definitive point in the change McLaren and the choices it had to make. There is much written why they parted ways, probably a combination of them all (project 12/SLS, spygate, Ron Dennis in general and his ambitions and the cheap option of buying Brawn). At the end of 2009 they told the other shareholders they would sell at the end of 2011. WIth that McLaren lost their biggest investor and technical staf. This moment (and not the choice for Honda) was why Ron Dennis was dismissed. He promised to buy back the former Mercedes shares as soon as possible which he failed to do.
The 2012 car was still developed during the Mercedes ownership and from there on, McLaren hasn't won a race since. Their 2013 and 2014 chassis were bad and underdeveloped. Only with the new money and force coming in from Honda they managed to have a decent chassis again in 2015.
At the moment the sport is dominated by 400mln+ budget teams since 2010 (Raikkonen was the only one to win a GP without such a budget). Without Honda McLaren can't raise that kind of budget unless they go into another extensive partnership (like Honda) or ownership (as they had with Mercedes).

Maybe with Bernie out of the way, tech companies as Apple or Samsung might not be such a bad idea (like TAG decades before...)

HPD

"Mclaren Mercedes"
And if the FIA ​​says "No"? The time to announce new engine supplier, has ended.

GoranF1
GoranF1

HPD wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 20:17
"Mclaren Mercedes"
And if the FIA ​​says "No"? The time to announce new engine supplier, has ended.
Everybody in FIA and paddock will say hell yeah!
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Raleigh
Raleigh

Williams won a race in 2012 with Maldonado and probably could have won in 2014 (Massa/Canada), and that's a customer team running around with sub-200M budget.

Even if moving to Mercedes power means a budget drop below 300M McLaren could at least return to winning races, and from there attract a big title sponsor.

HPD

GoranF1 wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 20:26
HPD wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 20:17
"Mclaren Mercedes"
Everybody in FIA and paddock will say hell yeah!
Mmmm... Toto said Honda is important for Formula 1. And the FIA ​​must help the new engine supplier.
I have my doubts Mr. Goran

Jolle
Jolle

Raleigh wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 20:29
Williams won a race in 2012 with Maldonado and probably could have won in 2014 (Massa/Canada), and that's a customer team running around with sub-200M budget.

Even if moving to Mercedes power means a budget drop below 300M McLaren could at least return to winning races, and from there attract a big title sponsor.
Oh yes, I forgot about Maldonado.

A big sponsor isn't enough these days. Williams have a big old fashioned sponsor and they only manage, with all their experience and a good partnership with Mercedes, a podium here and there.

A big sponsor like Vodafone or Martini bring in around 50-60 mln dollar a year, a investor or partner (like PM, Daimler) around 200-250 mln a year.

etusch

I think Williams a bit different. They are very conservetive about ex technology or something like that. I don't see at Williams any development try. Mclaren will be better than Williams always if Williams don't change approach. Remember what Eric Bullier said about mclaren. He changed development process and after that they are show a sign that they are right direction now.
Williams also need something like that. Maybe Mclaren Honda like partnership help them. I think they also have to find someone like Bullier to reorgnize the team.

Jolle
Jolle

etusch wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 22:04
I think Williams a bit different. They are very conservetive about ex technology or something like that. I don't see at Williams any development try. Mclaren will be better than Williams always if Williams don't change approach. Remember what Eric Bullier said about mclaren. He changed development process and after that they are show a sign that they are right direction now.
Williams also need something like that. Maybe Mclaren Honda like partnership help them. I think they also have to find someone like Bullier to reorgnize the team.
Look up their new CTO’s resume: Paddy Lowe