2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Pray for that low DF because ocon was faster than Alo at turns and he didn't wait straights for overtaking him.

etusch

hemichromis wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 10:15
techman wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 09:17
its it funny that before mclaren signed with renault. mclaren were on full atttack mode on honda. we were even told mclaren are here to win and honda are not. what a low blow to a team engine supplier. but now that mclaren signed with renault , i hear different stories coming from mclaren side. Even jonathan neale of mclaren in ted kravitz talk show in japan s how mentioned they cannot gaurantee, whether mclaren wil match the redbull, and even alonso earlier on saying , it will be a challenge to beat redbull. why the change of tune all of a sudden?. did they find out the real power of the renault and how big it is compared to a smaller engine honda.? after they signed the renault contract? it funny the change of tune from mclaren, it will be no suprise if mclaren struggle against redbull. no hiding this for this team. get all the blame in 2018.

As for torro rosso honda. it will be hard, as torro rosso still lacks over a second in chassis performance to redbull , so next year will be hard. hopefully redbull gets the dyno reading of the honda power and compare with renault and we can finally see a redbull honda 2019. cant wait
They had a contract with Honda, they had to make sure the break was by mutual agreement.
I have read a comment at Motorsport site which comes to me logical. Before it I would think that "why they destroy Honda's works, they also demaged by it"
The comment says that " they decided to split Honda at winter tests and always tried to keep performance down for break close of deal"
This is just a theory but if it's true next year could look like a big step forward for Honda in terms of performance
Last edited by etusch on 09 Oct 2017, 10:26, edited 2 times in total.

zeph
zeph

techman wrote:
its it funny that before mclaren signed with renault. mclaren were on full atttack mode on honda.

Care to share some links to actual statements from McLaren folks attacking Honda? Because there's been a lot of talk about it in this thread, but I follow F1 pretty closely and I have never seen any explicitly disparaging statements from anybody at McLaren in the reputable press. There's a lot of internet hearsay, but nothing much verifiable, as far as I have been able to determine.

In fact, I think both parties have been keeping a very professional attitude towards the press, about the whole thing. Unlike their respective fans on the internet, indeed.

bauc

techman wrote:
its it funny that before mclaren signed with renault. mclaren were on full atttack mode on honda. we were even told mclaren are here to win and honda are not. what a low blow to a team engine supplier. but now that mclaren signed with renault , i hear different stories coming from mclaren side. Even jonathan neale of mclaren in ted kravitz talk show in japan s how mentioned they cannot gaurantee, whether mclaren wil match the redbull, and even alonso earlier on saying , it will be a challenge to beat redbull. why the change of tune all of a sudden?. did they find out the real power of the renault and how big it is compared to a smaller engine honda.? after they signed the renault contract? it funny the change of tune from mclaren, it will be no suprise if mclaren struggle against redbull. no hiding this for this team. get all the blame in 2018.

As for torro rosso honda. it will be hard, as torro rosso still lacks over a second in chassis performance to redbull , so next year will be hard. hopefully redbull gets the dyno reading of the honda power and compare with renault and we can finally see a redbull honda 2019. cant wait
WOW what a debate... Deja VU for 3 + years...

Stop spinning the same old and boring blame game theory. For any one who follows F1 knows that there are little chances of Mclaren making a better chassis that will suit the Reno PU in year one, when RedBull is doing that for ages. They know all the strengths and weakness and they are adopting their chassis to the Reno PU successfully for years now, Mclaren is yet to discover what is in the bag for them.

Just stop it, as we can all go ahead and copy paste the same arguments over and over again when there is a power depending track on the calendar and vise versa.

The Chassis is good, the engine sucks.
The Engine is not the best but the chassis is far from the top 3
The Chassis sucks, the engine sucks

Spec 1.0 will deliver
Spec 2 will deliver
Spec r 3 will deliver
Spec 4 will deliver
Spec 5 will go to the moon? whats next?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

kaepernickus

etusch wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 10:22
I have read a comment at Motorsport site which comes to me logical. Before it I would think that "why they destroy Honda's works, they also demaged by it"
The comment says that " they decided to split Honda at winter tests and always tried to keep performance down for break close of deal"
This is just a theory but if it's true next year could look like a big step forward for Honda in terms of performance
Yes, Honda has a Mercedes beater, McLaren sabotaged it (damaging the own brand as well) the whole season and Honda stood there the whole time saying nothjng at all.
You really believe that?

Some people in here need a good reality check next season.
Neither is the McLaren chassis the best, nor is the Honda any better than fourth with quite a gap to Renault and especially Mercedes and Ferrari.

loner

Chicane wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 09:14
Rhetoric aside there are a few glaring things which are hard to miss.

1] Honda's gap to their rivals is pretty much where it was since time immemorial.

2] Alonso even with a low downforce setup, double tow and DRS could not overtake Massa plying around with a damaged front wing and wornt out tires.

3] All the talk of this ''revolutionary'' step 4 which going by the rumor mills has been on dyno forever now but still Honda are not able to bring it out.

4] A sorry state of repeated missing of deadlines. It is not even about perception any more. Honda should be out there trying to prove Mclaren were wrong to dump them and should be bringing out updates to test them before next season but what we see the same old stale excuses.

5] Forget about the big things, look at the repetitive nature of minor issues. Hydraulic leaks happening at an alarming regularity which hints at serious quality control issues. These issues could have been acceptable to some extent if at least Honda were pushing performance envelopes.

6] This whole grand delusion as to how Honda are miraculously going to turn around and produce an engine which will suddenly meet reliability criteria of 3 power units per season and overturn a big power deficit will never come true. With only Toro Rosso doing the miles i simply do not see them turn in to a front runner. Yes if they learn their lessons, make correct organizational changes, stop treating their F1 project like a testing bed for their junior engineers, stop rotating people at alarming frequency and invest big they can do a respectable job but what we see is the new decimals being added to the engine specs with meagre improvements.
the same day the official divorce announced, Albert Fabrega said the major boost spec 4 PU which has Mario Illien contribution will debut in Mexico, now assuming ALO is the insider source for Fabrega one have to wonder why he didn't sign new contract with Mclaren till now regarding crying and pushing very loudly about the split.
you have to get used about the idea that Stoffel Vandoorne will be the lead driver for Mclaren in 2018 and without Honda money no big development will happen to the chassis.
you will know many things before the end of this exact month of October.
para bellum.

dren

etusch wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 10:16
Pray for that low DF because ocon was faster than Alo at turns and he didn't wait straights for overtaking him.
Yeah, I was expecting the car to perform better in the esses than it did. It didn't look bad at all, just not as good as I expected it to look.
Honda!

HPD

loner wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 13:02
now assuming ALO is the insider source for Fabrega one have to wonder why he didn't sign new contract with Mclaren till now regarding crying and pushing very loudly about the split.
Alonso is not the source of information.
I think the source of information is with some engineers or mechanics working at Honda. Albert knows them because they worked with him in Super Aguri.

diffuser

dren wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 13:12
etusch wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 10:16
Yeah, I was expecting the car to perform better in the esses than it did. It didn't look bad at all, just not as good as I expected it to look.
I was looking at the S1 section of the video where they put Hamilton and Alonso's Best Quali lap side by side. Alonso looses a ton of time down the straight(ok, that was a given). In the exit of Turn 2 they both get on the throttle at the same time (Fly Emirates add on the far left). By the time they complete the exit of turn 2 Alonso is already 7KPH behind in speed). Hamilton gets to turn 3 at 259 and comes off the throttle slightly. Alonso, still only at 249, takes it flat out (having never reached Hamilton's speed). Alonso and Hamilton both come off the throttle and brake for the approach for turn 4.
Turn 5 and 6 are fairly even and speed not power limited. Hamilton goes into turn 7 5 KPH faster than Alonso as the Honda can't get the car up to 237KPH in the time out of turn 6 and into 7, not sure why Alonso did NOT stay full throttle in turn 7 to get his speed up. He does go full throttle much earlier than Hamilton out of turn 7. Almost catching Hamilton's speed exiting turn 7. Then Hamilton goes Full throttle and by the time he gets to the braking spot for turn 8 (little over 50 Meters) from the corner, he at 298 KPH and 15 KPH faster than Alonso.
Last edited by diffuser on 09 Oct 2017, 16:24, edited 2 times in total.

Phil

They said that in Suzuka, many corners are now flat out. With the high grip surface and the corners, the resistance/friction through the corners is very high, making it very much a “power track”. It probably explains why McLaren loses out quite big through some of the corners.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

loner

HPD wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 13:37
loner wrote:
now assuming ALO is the insider source for Fabrega one have to wonder why he didn't sign new contract with Mclaren till now regarding crying and pushing very loudly about the split.
I think the source of information is with some engineers or mechanics working at Honda. Albert knows them because they worked with him in Super Aguri.
okey but if Fabrega know a future information iam sure ALO know about it as well
the delusional poster who think who believes Honda will produce a good PU is delusion well he is delusion because Mclaren is not going anywhere except the Williams route so i excuse him if he thinks Honda will remain noncompetitive, just 14 days for them to bite their fingers in massive bitterness while spec 4 perform in COTA.
para bellum.

McG

techman wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 22:45
Well that would mean that with a good engine they would only be half a second behind rather than 2 and a half seconds behind

In your dreams. mclaren are team hiding behind honda. next year they will not even be close to redbull, with the same engine. honda on the other hand, i believe should now try to get redbull for 2019. that should be there focus. 2018 is an eye opener for those mclaren fans

Was actually quoting what someone else said and turning a negative into a positive, not actually making a statement as to what could hypothetically happen.

But imo the potitive is more realistic than the negative.

We have already seen how good the chassis is and how lacking in every area the Honda engine and indeed whole Honda team are.

Here's a clue... that's why McLaren are getting rid of Honda for... not the best engine in F1, no... for the 2nd worst/3rd best engine.
F1 is dead.

McG

loner wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 16:47
HPD wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 13:37
loner wrote:
okey but if Fabrega know a future information iam sure ALO know about it as well
the delusional poster who think who believes Honda will produce a good PU is delusion well he is delusion because Mclaren is not going anywhere except the Williams route so i excuse him if he thinks Honda will remain noncompetitive, just 14 days for them to bite their fingers in massive bitterness while spec 4 perform in COTA.
Your post doesnt make sense. It reads like you are saying Honda won't make a good engine but then you say spec 4 will be magic, which is magic that you can tell the future.

Also the Williams comparison is old and too simple so don't go there.
F1 is dead.

PlatinumZealot

The Renault PU aint looking too shabby in the races though... If they finally add a quali mode McLaren should be in the mix.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

Phil wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 16:11
They said that in Suzuka, many corners are now flat out. With the high grip surface and the corners, the resistance/friction through the corners is very high, making it very much a “power track”. It probably explains why McLaren loses out quite big through some of the corners.
Alonso lost almost .4 seconds in sector 3 alone, and that's just 130R and Casio chicane.
Saishū kōnā