2017 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 20-22 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Moose
Moose

Re: 2017 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 20-22 October

Seems like the first two sectors will be all Mercedes. The last sector should pose an interesting challenge from Ferrari and RBR though.

GPR-A duplicate2

Turn 1, 11, 12, 13 and 15 are going to be slower and problematic for Mercedes and at these corners, the speeds come down to 80 kph. Rest all the corners, a driver can carry speed close to OR in excess of 200. The last corner is definitely going to see a speed jump with the kind of downforce available in the cars.

f1316
f1316

Temperatures could be all important too - if it’s hot + ultra softs then not great for Mercedes.

From what others have posted, doesn’t sound like it will be too hot, so that would swing it back towards them and I think the circuit will be good for their car.

That said, if it’s close, I can see Mercedes being happy with 2nd and not overstressing the PU - they don’t need to win any more so probably won’t take any chances of failures (one of which they can still probably afford!).

Vasconia

If it rains or the temperatures are lower than usual this would benefit Mercedes. Plus that first sector has the Mercedes name on it, alonside those corners. It looks like an "easy" victory for Mercedes but....

1. Could the temperatures affect them badly?
2. The ultra-softs seem to be more appropiate for Ferrari.
3. Curious to see if RB can be enought fast to put Mercedes under pressure.

I would put my mone on Hamilton but those factors make me feel doubtful, but only slightly.

godlameroso

Why is sector 1 good for Mercedes? There's only the short main straight, and the downhill into the esses. Aside from that engine power is irrelevant. Sector 2 is the one that suits Mercedes. Sector 3 is all chassis performance I'm not sold, I think it's too close to call between the top 3 around here.

17 easy flat this year.

Key parts to a good lap 1,7,8,9,13-16,19,20.
Saishū kōnā

JonoNic

godlameroso wrote:Why is sector 1 good for Mercedes? There's only the short main straight, and the downhill into the esses. Aside from that engine power is irrelevant. Sector 2 is the one that suits Mercedes. Sector 3 is all chassis performance I'm not sold, I think it's too close to call between the top 3 around here.

17 easy flat this year.

Mercedes has superior acceleration out of slow corners, the PU is best to drag up the hill? Gains are always larger in slow corners too.

Always find the gap then use it.

Vasconia

godlameroso wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 12:20
Why is sector 1 good for Mercedes? There's only the short main straight, and the downhill into the esses. Aside from that engine power is irrelevant. Sector 2 is the one that suits Mercedes. Sector 3 is all chassis performance I'm not sold, I think it's too close to call between the top 3 around here.

17 easy flat this year.

The esses are inspired in Silverstone and Mercedes was there vastly superior.

godlameroso

Vasconia wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 12:57
godlameroso wrote:

17 easy flat this year.

Through the Esses themselves both Ferrari and Red Bull were faster, this is fact. Mercedes carried more speed through the sector overall, they weren't the fastest through the twisties but they didn't need to be, they were fast enough on the straights that it didn't matter. They lose .2 in the turns and gain .4 on the straights, that's how they were faster, there isn't enough straight in sector one for them to have that advantage.

They can gain .2 on the straights, but lose .225 in the corners then they're down overall, they can turn that around in sector 2, where they may lose another .1 on the corners, but then gain .3 in the straights, now they're ahead, until sector 3 which isn't really about power but how much traction and downforce you have. Again Mercedes can gain .1 on the straights, but lose .2 in the corners.

Point being is it's too close to call.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

JonoNic wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 12:39
godlameroso wrote:Why is sector 1 good for Mercedes? There's only the short main straight, and the downhill into the esses. Aside from that engine power is irrelevant. Sector 2 is the one that suits Mercedes. Sector 3 is all chassis performance I'm not sold, I think it's too close to call between the top 3 around here.

17 easy flat this year.

Mercedes has superior acceleration out of slow corners, the PU is best to drag up the hill? Gains are always larger in slow corners too.
You don't accelerate uphill though, you brake 50 meters after it begins to slope upwards. Mercedes does have a good hole shot out of slow corners.
Saishū kōnā

SiLo

godlameroso wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 13:15
Vasconia wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

17 easy flat this year.

Through the Esses themselves both Ferrari and Red Bull were faster, this is fact. Mercedes carried more speed through the sector overall, they weren't the fastest through the twisties but they didn't need to be, they were fast enough on the straights that it didn't matter. They lose .2 in the turns and gain .4 on the straights, that's how they were faster, there isn't enough straight in sector one for them to have that advantage.

They can gain .2 on the straights, but lose .225 in the corners then they're down overall, they can turn that around in sector 2, where they may lose another .1 on the corners, but then gain .3 in the straights, now they're ahead, until sector 3 which isn't really about power but how much traction and downforce you have. Again Mercedes can gain .1 on the straights, but lose .2 in the corners.

Hamilton was mighty in the first sector at Suzuka, how were the Ferraris and Red Bulls faster? They couldn't touch him there.
Felipe Baby!

garyjpaterson

godlameroso wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 23:19
So far the Assetto Corsa SF70-H is pretty accurate as far as race pace lap times, and I start with 38's with a full tank and end up with 36's at the end of the race with a two stopper.
Whilst laptimes may be there or thereabouts in AC, I'm disappointed with the approach Kunos take with the aero - same as they have for all their high downforce cars - its very conservative. Overall downforce is way too low, and to compensate the load sensitivity of the tyres allow for huge grip at higher loads.

The model is a work of art, but I do feel like they have let themselves down physics wise.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

If last year is anything to go by:

Q2:

NathanOlder

Deleted
Last edited by NathanOlder on 11 Oct 2017, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

godlameroso wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 03:19
Wouldn't even bother without a wheel.
I wouldn't even bother without my motion simulator

:wink:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

godlameroso

SiLo wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 13:53
godlameroso wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 13:15
Vasconia wrote:

Hamilton was mighty in the first sector at Suzuka, how were the Ferraris and Red Bulls faster? They couldn't touch him there.
Because sector one is also most of the pit straight, and then the long left hand Dunlop curve that has a lot of full throttle, and their long wheelbase helps in the two Degners. That is where the advantage lies, not through the actual corners, they lose a little time there, but only a tenth or two at most, however they gain .3 through the full throttle and Degner sections.
Saishū kōnā