2017 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Re: 2017 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Renault

Vasconia wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 09:02
Cold Fussion wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 04:26
NathanOlder wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 19:22
Kvyat been given the boot. aka Sacked.
I think you'll find this is good news for Kvyat.
If he finds another team which is very difficult right now. It terrible how RB/TR has treated him. He was back in USA, he was clearly faster but anyway he has been sacked. #-o
I was paraphrasing someone on the previous page who said it was a good thing for Kvyat that Hartley and Gasly were finishing the season. Obviously it is bad news for him and probably the end of his F1 career.

G'dayBruce
G'dayBruce

Although Kvyat appeared to have a good race at Austin and easily out qualified the Kiwi, it sounds like Hartley's pace improved throughout the race and his fastest lap was about a second better than the Russian's - endurance qualities shining through perhaps? Maybe TR saw enough potential there to unceremoniously give Kvyat the chop.

Really looking forward to seeing the new duo going at it for the rest of the season.

zac510
zac510

Given that they didn't even retain the option to put Kvyat back in the seat at the end of this season, I presume there was another, non-racing speed reason for dropping him.
In any case STR is the rookie team and, while unfortunate for Kvyat, it's refreshing to see them trialling young drivers regularly.

Raleigh
Raleigh

Indeed, need to remember TR isn't recruiting for their own results. A driver might be fast but unless he's a potential champion who can be passed on to Red Bull then keeping him in that seat is a waste of a spot that could be used to try out new talent that might turn out to be potential champions, even if said new talent doesn't immediately start beating the more experienced driver.

HPD

"The technical department of Toro Rosso is excited by the size of the Honda engine." There is no doubt that McLaren is a good chassis.

http://soymotor.com/noticias/toro-rosso ... 735?page=1

MIKEY_!

I realize this isn't entirely relevant to the 2017 thread, but in the absence of a 2018 thread here goes:

Do we know what's happening re fuel and lubricants supply next year? Will TR use Mobil/Esso like they have this year (and like RB will continue to use in 2018), or will they use BP/Castrol like the Honda engine was developed for during this year?

There was some speculation that part of the reason for Honda being so useless this year was the late change in fuel supplier from Mobil/Esso to BP. The idea was that the engine and combustion concept was originally designed for Mobil/Esso and it didn't work so well with the BP fuel. IF this is true, IF TR use Mobil/Esso in 2018, and IF the Mobil/Esso fuel composition hasn't changed too much since late 2016, the 2018 Honda engine might not be so terrible.

Since I'm here, do we know who is supplying gearboxes for TR next year? There were suggestions that Mclaren might build them but I can't find that being confirmed anywhere.

HPD

MIKEY_! wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 02:38
I realize this isn't entirely relevant to the 2017 thread, but in the absence of a 2018 thread here goes:

Do we know what's happening re fuel and lubricants supply next year? Will TR use Mobil/Esso like they have this year (and like RB will continue to use in 2018), or will they use BP/Castrol like the Honda engine was developed for during this year?

There was some speculation that part of the reason for Honda being so useless this year was the late change in fuel supplier from Mobil/Esso to BP. The idea was that the engine and combustion concept was originally designed for Mobil/Esso and it didn't work so well with the BP fuel. IF this is true, IF TR use Mobil/Esso in 2018, and IF the Mobil/Esso fuel composition hasn't changed too much since late 2016, the 2018 Honda engine might not be so terrible.

Since I'm here, do we know who is supplying gearboxes for TR next year? There were suggestions that Mclaren might build them but I can't find that being confirmed anywhere.
Q: What about the gearbox situation?
FT: Ha, a clear plus on our side: we produce our own gearbox. Therefore it is totally easy for us. That is Toro Rosso – we are flexible!
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/inte ... eturn.html

If Honda wants to work with Red Bull in 2019 it would be better if they start using Mobil / Esso

godlameroso

If Honda and Toro Rosso makes a monster would they be allowed to fight Red Bull?
Saishū kōnā

HPD

godlameroso wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 20:37
If Honda and Toro Rosso makes a monster would they be allowed to fight Red Bull?
I really hope that Honda buys some things from Red Bull. As the suspension.
Hass does the same with Ferrari

NathanOlder

Some big trouble brewing between Toro Rosso and Renault. Seriously angry Renault threatened to pull the engines out of Toro Rosso for this race and the next.

Toro Rosso accuse Renault for giving them dud engines to get Renault in front of Toro Rosso in the constructors
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ME4ME

NathanOlder wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 15:14
Some big trouble brewing between Toro Rosso and Renault. Seriously angry Renault threatened to pull the engines out of Toro Rosso for this race and the next.
Source?

NathanOlder

Saw it live on SkySports practice 3 session. Im sure the websites will have it soon.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

HPD

I can not deny that all this is very strange.
In the speed trap the Toro Rosso were last far away.

Not to mention that Renault will not manufacture MGUH, if Toro Rosso loses another MGUH, in Abudabi they will not be able to run anymore. (words of Helmut Marko)

“We would like to clarify that all the MGU-H and Shaft failures Toro Rosso has recently suffered are not associated with how the team is operating or with how the PU is integrated in the chassis,” said Toro Rosso in a statement.

“Nothing has been changed or altered in this installation during the 2017 season, other than cooling improvements mid-season.”

“One of the primary reasons for the issues we are seeing is the lack of new power unit parts available,” added their statement. “In Toro Rosso’s case the team is constantly having to change parts from one PU to another during the weekend and, on many occasions, is forced to run old specification assemblies.”

“We mustn’t forget that they are fighting with Toro Rosso for a better position in the constructors’ championship, as suggested by Mr Abiteboul the situation may not be a coincidence, but it is certainly not due to STR’s car.”

HPD

Renault chief Cyril Abiteboul was spotted engaged in what appeared to be a furious row with Red Bull and Toro Rosso advisor Helmut Marko in the Interlagos paddock ahead of Saturday morning practice.

According to Sky F1's Ted Kravitz, "Renault are seriously considering that this might be a break in a contract. Renault are looking at whether it is so significant they can take the engines away from Toro Rosso and leave them to do nothing."

Sevach
Sevach

That is such a weird situation...