[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Wow... JJR was so close this time: he was almost there. I have to think something new for Le Mans to gain 0.1-0.2 seconds and keep him behind.

Rjsa the best rookie again: is he preparing a surprise for the next year?

Disappointing race by Variante. What is happening this year?

machin

I suspect Variante does not have enough time to dedicate to his car?

It was very close, but yet again Matteo of the top 3 cars you had the highest downforce AND the lowest drag. Really good work.

I was just looking back at the car images... I see that on the Mercury car the heat exchangers seem to be visible from the rear three-quarter view... which is pretty unusual; I was wondering what the thinking is behind that?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LVDH

Variante´s cars all show very innovative features not seen on the other cars. Yet, I also think that he simply does not invest enough time to properly compete with the top guys here. The level displayed this year is just too good. JJR seems to stay true to what he said about the efficiency races. He just seems to be a bit unlucky that he is always missing that last little bit. And rsja is clearly a super duper newcomer. He was working a lot during the winter and came prepared like no one else.
CAEdevice clearly picked the best strategy by just improving his car from last year. I could see it getting better and better without any crazy new features. The other cars showed new interesting things that you guys were never able to see because they were in the inside of the car. Somehow I have to find a good way of showing the cars and features when the season is over. No idea though if it will be a good idea to progress with Le Mans type cars then next year. On the other hand with a lot of material available about designing the cars it will be interesting to see how someone gets a competitive advantage like CAEdevice did this year.

Here are the final numbers:

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 18:32
Variante´s cars all show very innovative features not seen on the other cars. Yet, I also think that he simply does not invest enough time to properly compete with the top guys here. The level displayed this year is just too good. JJR seems to stay true to what he said about the efficiency races. He just seems to be a bit unlucky that he is always missing that last little bit. And rsja is clearly a super duper newcomer. He was working a lot during the winter and came prepared like no one else.
Yes, I consider Variante performance disappointing only because he is an ex MVRC/KVRC champion and we will probably hear about him in motorsport in the next years.
I am convinced that JJR is a better aerodynamicist than me, but I have an advantage about 3D modeling when I have to translate into CAD geometry my ideas.
Rjsa's first season has been much better than my first (and second) one: we are going to have fun next year.
I hope new designers will be involved next year.
If I were a professor at univeristy, I would consider MVRC at the same level of Forumla SAE (Formula Student). Just a bit less trendy but truly competitive (I hope to find the same competitors I have in the "real" life someday).
CAEdevice clearly picked the best strategy by just improving his car from last year. I could see it getting better and better without any crazy new features. The other cars showed new interesting things that you guys were never able to see because they were in the inside of the car. Somehow I have to find a good way of showing the cars and features when the season is over.
It's funny: last year I won thanks to the "best strategy" about the cooling efficiency. This year it looks I still have the "best strategy". I think the best stategy is to design the fastest car :)

My car parametrically derives from the same CAD file I modeled in 2015 (and has lot of concepts I developed - not very well - for the F1-like car I used in KVRC): I don't believe in crazy features. I gave myself a rule: to not put in the car any detail without knowing what effects it has on the flow. Most of "crazy" details only bring drag or make other parts work worse.
No idea though if it will be a good idea to progress with Le Mans type cars then next year. On the other hand with a lot of material available about designing the cars it will be interesting to see how someone gets a competitive advantage like CAEdevice did this year.
Well, my car has been revealed at the beginning of the season: the intro car is 90% identical to the car I used for the "extreme downforce" race. It is mostly a matter of fine tuning and details (again: crazy details require very much time, hardware resources and CAD skills to be developed). The only new feature is the high nose for the efficiency races.

I would not mind to work on a new project (F1 like, including Halo? Formula E? Superformula? Indycar?), but at the same time I am sure that LMP1-LMP2-LMP3 "style" will still be the most interesting. As I wrote somewhere before, I think that the develpoment of my car is far to be completed. The target in 2018, excluding the effects of rule changes, would be an efficiency ratio around 7.5-8.0.

The most important things that I will consider when I will decide to take part to the next challenge will be the list of partecipants and the mesh/simulations improvements. The perfect scenario would be to have a transient simulation (I am convinced that most of the cars would be aerodynamically critical in a real track, including mine in the first two races), but I know it would be quite a heavy computing. Other interesting things would be to simulate the brake cooling flow and a separate oil heat exchanger, maybe only for the "top" class.
Last edited by CAEdevice on 05 Nov 2017, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

Alonso Fan

I wouldn't mind f1 2018 rules including halo for next year. After all this is an f1 website
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RicME85

Im am ecstatic at that result. That might seem odd to you guys but I had major issues in the lead up to the race. My PC is on the Windows Insider programme and the build before this race messed up my system, I had to copy over files from another PC to my OS SSD as the build Microsoft shipped corrupted key files (others also had the same issue). The car I submitted was made solely in CAESES using my phone on the Sunday hours before deadline with no testing, just a general idea of how things have worked and what I wanted from the package.

If anything, it shows how competitive someone using the CAESES geometry builder can be without any real work.

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 20:38
Im am ecstatic at that result. That might seem odd to you guys but I had major issues in the lead up to the race. My PC is on the Windows Insider programme and the build before this race messed up my system, I had to copy over files from another PC to my OS SSD as the build Microsoft shipped corrupted key files (others also had the same issue). The car I submitted was made solely in CAESES using my phone on the Sunday hours before deadline with no testing, just a general idea of how things have worked and what I wanted from the package.

If anything, it shows how competitive someone using the CAESES geometry builder can be without any real work.
Great! Congratulations.
I am tempted by the into class.
Would my present car be compliant with the intro class rulebook?

RicME85

Rulebook is the same, would be a case of if the wings and floor fits on the intro chassis

variante

Guys, I expected a laptime of 1:17.94
I don't know what happened... Radiators, inlet and exhaust differentials within regulations.
I used the standard 2500 iterations option (maybe the long simulation took away some downforce, but I don't think that could justify a difference of one second. During the other races my results were equal or worse than the official ones)
So...the most probable option left: a penalty?

BTW CAEdevice really flying to the second championship title! Good performance from JJR too. Idadox truly is an impressive "rookie", but I think I could have beaten him this time. Well done, everybody.

etsmc
etsmc

Bit of a bittersweet 5th place there for MercuryMotorsport...
Happy to have pulled in front of SHM_Racing by a tenth but I know Pure_Power_Racing could have done a 1:19.3 if they had used the car from the previous race.
One day I hope to break into the 5's for the efficiency ratio!

rjsa
rjsa

Variante, you should have beaten me, I repeated the last race's car.

LVDH

variante wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 01:42
Guys, I expected a laptime of 1:17.94
I don't know what happened... Radiators, inlet and exhaust differentials within regulations.
I used the standard 2500 iterations option (maybe the long simulation took away some downforce, but I don't think that could justify a difference of one second. During the other races my results were equal or worse than the official ones)
So...the most probable option left: a penalty?
Hi, no penalty for you. In fact yesterday Chris has sent an email an confirmed that nobody will receive a penalty this race.
Your simulation was a bit strange to execute. First it even completely crashed and I wondered if you even tested your car. I fixed the simulation by doing something that should not affect the results as much as it apparently did. I would be good if you could send your whole case including the processor directories so I can have a look. Because now we have one complete crashed simulation, yours, and the one I then ran which is one of the most stable of this race.

JJR
JJR

Congratulations to Matteo for another great victory and Idadox for podium.

Congratulations to Mercury and SHM for great improvement.

It looks like I will be on 2nd place overall and I have my Racecar-engineering subscription already so It is on Matteo who will be awarded :)

CAEdevice

JJR wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 10:07
It looks like I will be on 2nd place overall and I have my Racecar-engineering subscription already so It is on Matteo who will be awarded :)
Yes, I am thinking about this... maybe I will find a new idea for the final prize.

JJR
JJR

CAEdevice wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 10:53
JJR wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 10:07
Yes, I am thinking about this... maybe I will find a new idea for the final prize.
I think racecar engineering is OK I just leave it for 3rd place.