[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

My proposal is to change the final prize: I got in touch with someone in RedBull and I would have the possibility to have copy of the recent book by Adrian Newey signed by the author.

What do you think about it?

JJR
JJR

It is great. I ´m big fan of Adrian old cars March and Williams in late 80 ´s and early 90 ´s.

CAEdevice

JJR wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 13:33
It is great. I ´m big fan of Adrian old cars March and Williams in late 80 ´s and early 90 ´s.
Same for me... I was 13 years old when Ivan Capelli almost won in Magny Cours (Leyton House CG901 by Adrian Newey).

machin

I was just looking back over the Idadox car... that front end just looks so plain.... in fact the gentle curve of the bodywork over the suspension and then down into the radiator inlets looks like to me like it would create a fair amount of lift, which can only mean it is counteracted by a pretty effective front diffuser, but there is also no clear route for the air to escape behind the front wheels...

I guess Idadox himself will not reveal the detail, but does anyone else think they can draw what they think is going on behind that bodywork?! :-)
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

machin

RicME85 wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 20:38
Im am ecstatic at that result..... The car I submitted was made solely in CAESES using my phone on the Sunday hours before deadline with no testing, just a general idea of how things have worked and what I wanted from the package.

If anything, it shows how competitive someone using the CAESES geometry builder can be without any real work.
That is really good! So the output from the CAESES builder is sufficient to make a fully compliant car; i.e. no need to model any additional bodywork (like suspension covers)? I really must take a look at it... but every time I think about it I am at work and the Mantium website is blocked by our fire wall! :(
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 15:00
I was just looking back over the Idadox car...
I guess there is a quantity of air that goes through the hx directly from the front diffuser and an addtional quantity reaches the hx passing above the suspension cover.

LVDH

These cars all feature so interesting details and they are all hidden by the body work. As this is a CFD challenge, there have to be way more CFD images that get presented. I am pretty sure that we will see many more one way or the other. From next race on, I will show pretty revealing images of the cars.
Maybe someone wants to be first to step forward. I will write an article on the MantiumChallenge page about the car and show the interesting features.

Alonso Fan

CAEdevice wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 13:20
My proposal is to change the final prize: I got in touch with someone in RedBull and I would have the possibility to have copy of the recent book by Adrian Newey signed by the author.

What do you think about it?
Excellent idea! Certainly one of the best books recently reviewed by f1fanatic.

Perhaps you could give more than one copy:

One for the MVRC champion
One for the intro class champion
One for best rookie
One for most improved team :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

LVDH wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 15:50
These cars all feature so interesting details and they are all hidden by the body work. As this is a CFD challenge, there have to be way more CFD images that get presented. I am pretty sure that we will see many more one way or the other. From next race on, I will show pretty revealing images of the cars.
Maybe someone wants to be first to step forward. I will write an article on the MantiumChallenge page about the car and show the interesting features.
I'll be first since my car is probably very underwhelming and shows my lack of aero knowledge.
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 07 Nov 2017, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

rjsa
rjsa

I'm developing a new concept and this will be retired. But the front diffuser is still the same. Yep, it's a damn vacuum cleaner.

I'll publish it as soon as I make time to do some presentable images.

I'm still very front biased, my efforts to improve rear diffuser efficiency are blatantly failing. I jeep the barn doir rear wings and high drag.

I have totally changed fenders, bonnet, HX position to reach the exact same SP time. I clearly maxed out my floor layout and that's what I'm gonna get from it.

rjsa
rjsa

And Andre, if you have a presentation format you wish to try feel free to publish my sepang/sao paulo car.

CAEdevice

Please do with my car whatever you want... but wait after or near the last race! I am not so sure about the final result if Variante, JJR, Rjsa and TF will be faster at Le Mans

LVDH

What, how can you design such a good car and not notice that all you need is one point? JJR should get a bunch of people to join the championship and teach them how to design super cars to make sure you completely drop of the scoring board. He should be giving lectures here on the forum like crazy.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 16:59
What, how can you design such a good car and not notice that all you need is one point? JJR should get a bunch of people to join the championship and teach them how to design super cars to make sure you completely drop of the scoring board. He should be giving lectures here on the forum like crazy.
The problem is that they all can design a supercar... and maybe some of the outsiders can improve too.

BTW: I still think (for many reasons I can explain later, I am in a hurry now) that Le Mans should assign double points.
Last edited by CAEdevice on 07 Nov 2017, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

variante

LVDH wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 15:50
I've always liked the KVRC feature of posting "non intrusive" CFD images after each round. And I wouldn't mind the publishment of "intimate" pics of my car after the end of the season.
After all, untill last year I kept publishing analysis of my cars full of post processing images (but I think most of those pics have been deleted from the servers :x )