New F1 logo

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TwanV
TwanV

Re: New F1 logo

Manoah2u wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 22:38
reminds me a bit too much of the wipeout games (not the tv ones).

i still prefer the old one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgiBkydMW8k

gawd that guitar riff. that gets the blood flowing and paints images of senna, mansell, prost, piquet and schumacher just by hearing it.
Yesss fantastic. About this new logo: unbelievably amateuristic. I have never seen a more confusing and unclear typeset. Also it reminds me of A1GP.

But it could be worse, what usually happens is 1) Remove identifiable logo 2) insert capital Arial letters with a period at the end. FORMULA1. :lol:
Last edited by TwanV on 27 Nov 2017, 12:40, edited 4 times in total.

Shrieker

Fulcrum wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 12:06
Corporate company takes over an existing, ageing, brand.
Seeks to re-engage an increasingly alienated and marginalised audience.
Does so by replacing existing familiarity with no engagement of said audience.
Comes up with an absolute turkey behind closed doors.
Well done.

This would have been an absolutely PERFECT opportunity to engage the audience. Have a competition and let individual creativity contribute to the design process. In this forum alone we've seen so many liveries, helmet designs, etc... of exceptional quality, I'd find it extremely difficult to believe the wider audience couldn't come up with something better than this.
Agree %100, couldn't have said better myself.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

krisfx
krisfx

TwanV wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 12:34
Manoah2u wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 22:38
reminds me a bit too much of the wipeout games (not the tv ones).

i still prefer the old one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgiBkydMW8k

gawd that guitar riff. that gets the blood flowing and paints images of senna, mansell, prost, piquet and schumacher just by hearing it.
Yesss fantastic. About this new logo: unbelievably amateuristic. I have never seen a more confusing and unclear typeset. Also it reminds me of A1GP.

But it could be worse, what usually happens is 1) Remove identifiable logo 2) insert capital Helvetica letters with a period at the end. FORMULA1. :lol:
Fixed it for you

ScottB
ScottB

I think the launch couldn't have been any worse.

In general, people react negatively to change of things they are attached to, so first, for the logo to slip out among a few other ideas was a bad start, then for it's first official appearance for me, to be David Coulthard pointing at a sticker of it behind him, is pretty poor. We then had an interview with the Liberty guys going on about how there will be all these great new graphics to go with it next year.

Articles on some design sites do actually go into a bit more depth, and show some of the supporting design system to go with it, which does help. It's actually growing on me now, which is my point.

Why do it like this? They should have either done the entire race under the new brand; logo, on screen graphics, track signage et all, or save it all until Australia next year. Slapping some stickers around the paddock while everyone was packing up just seems an utterly bizarre choice.

In terms of the logo itself, I don't hate it, but I don't think it answers the problems they say they had with the old one; they say people found it hard to read and that it didn't work well at small sizes in digital applications, well, I'd say that the new one isn't looking like a big improvement on either of those counts.

It definitely has an air of WipEout about it, especially the main font, indeed, the team behind it actively reference the work the sadly departed The Designers Republic did on the original PlayStation versions. Interesting to say you need a fresh look then draw heavily on something that's almost as old as the logo you're replacing, though admittedly something that was intended to be futuristic! - maybe that lines up with the 'futuristic' new aero regs that are being worked on haha

In short, it's not bad, it suffered from an utterly daft launch and it'll probably grow on us with time.

GitanesBlondes

The new logo looks like what people imagined the futuristic logos to look like twenty years or more ago.

All this talk about the endless need to engage the fans, and everything continues to strike me as out of touch as usual like halos and silly engines.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

ScottB wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 16:27
Why do it like this? They should have either done the entire race under the new brand; logo, on screen graphics, track signage et all, or save it all until Australia next year. Slapping some stickers around the paddock while everyone was packing up just seems an utterly bizarre choice.
It wreaks of damage limitation if you ask me. If they launch it now then there is 130ish days for the world media and the public to forget about it.

ScottB
ScottB

GitanesBlondes wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 16:44
The new logo looks like what people imagined the futuristic logos to look like twenty years or more ago.

All this talk about the endless need to engage the fans, and everything continues to strike me as out of touch as usual like halos and silly engines.
WipEout came out in the mid 90's and was apparently a big part of their inspiration, so you're spot on in your conclusion!

ScottB
ScottB

Cold Fussion wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 16:52
ScottB wrote:
It wreaks of damage limitation if you ask me. If they launch it now then there is 130ish days for the world media and the public to forget about it.
I'd say they created damage by half assing it, but it seems somewhat reflective of Liberty so far; good intentions, but not quite delivering one the execution.

Their one aim that I do agree with was that F1 needed a total brand system, not just a logo, but then they went and launched just the logo...

GitanesBlondes

ScottB wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 17:02
GitanesBlondes wrote:

WipEout came out in the mid 90's and was apparently a big part of their inspiration, so you're spot on in your conclusion!
I think they could have done far better personally.

I have nothing against doing a new logo as it probably is a good time to relaunch the brand so to speak, but the logo is really just amateur hour if they ripped off a video game logo from the mid-1990s. Doesn't bode well for innovation if you ask me.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

ScottB
ScottB

GitanesBlondes wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 17:21
ScottB wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 17:02
GitanesBlondes wrote:

I think they could have done far better personally.

I have nothing against doing a new logo as it probably is a good time to relaunch the brand so to speak, but the logo is really just amateur hour if they ripped off a video game logo from the mid-1990s. Doesn't bode well for innovation if you ask me.

"In terms of influences on the project, Turley name-checks the work of the Designer’s Republic and the Pre-Op Art graphics of Italian designer, Franco Grignani, whose work was exhibited across two London exhibitions this year. The tDR mention is interesting as the identity (logo and type included) certainly shares an aesthetic with the sci-fi racing world that the studio designed for the classic mid-90s video game, Wipeout."

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/formul ... dy-london/

GitanesBlondes

ScottB wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 17:04
Cold Fussion wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 16:52
ScottB wrote:
I'd say they created damage by half assing it, but it seems somewhat reflective of Liberty so far; good intentions, but not quite delivering one the execution.

Their one aim that I do agree with was that F1 needed a total brand system, not just a logo, but then they went and launched just the logo...
Liberty should be looking at what Dorna has done in MotoGP. Though I have to assume they already have. There's a cohesive product with a brand that makes sense and stable technical regulations with an exciting on-track product. In short it's everything F1 wishes it could be from the digital product offerings to the aforementioned objects. I don't miss a single race. Not that the product is without it's flaws by any means, but relative to F1, it's not bogged down by endless BS. It reminds me a lot of what F1 was before...whatever it is that happened to F1 happened. Grand prix auto racing has become eclipsed by grand prix motorcycle racing for a lot of reasons. Liberty/FIA should be looking more closely to grasp the why's in my opinion.

DiogoBrand

A very good point was raised and it reflects my thoughts exactly:

If they wanted to refresh the brand, why launch an image inspired in a game from 20 years ago, pretty much as old as the old F1 logo?
And as someone brilliantly said, it looks like what the world of 30 years ago would consider futuristic.

To me that was part of a bet between the designers, like:
-F1 just hired me to do their new logo, how much do you wanna bet that I'm gonna sell them this crap that I did in five minutes' work and convince them that it's brilliant?
-That piece of ---?! I will eat my trousers if you're able to sell them that rubbish!
-Just watch me, then!

OneAlex

It's too ambiguous for me. Unless you knew it was the F1 logo I don't think you would look at it and immediately think "oh yes that's an F, and a 1, it must be F1, Formula 1".

Instead I look at it and go "what's that 'n' stand for?"

GitanesBlondes

Here's the MotoGP logo.

Way easier to look at and understand what you're looking at. Checkered flag on the left, and words on the right.

F1 still doesn't get it and never will in my opinion.

PlatinumZealot

jagunx51 wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 11:51
how about this ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb9h4pQBJ7M ... l_mattwood
Looks like a bench.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏