As if 2018 cars weren't ugly enough: golfball cameras on the nose!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: As if 2018 cars weren't ugly enough - GOLFBALL CAMS ON THE NOSE

Sure, the positive is that we will have - finally - better camera material.
But that big 'zit' on the car? if it were on top of the car not such a problem imho. but it's in front even of the halo, won't that even obstruct the view even more?
the halo supposedly would be slimmed down to 1.6 cm wide in it's final form (the vertical pillar), this thing looks much much bigger in radius. i can't imagine that being enjoyable.

unless the entire ball is not neccesary and only the 'domed' top will be used, then ignore my b*tching but let's be honest here, this just looks like a huge zit on some witch nose.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

krisfx
krisfx

Manoah2u wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 13:18
santos wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 13:09
People just like to say bad about everything... Even about a camera mounted on the car. It was the nose, then the livery of Mclaren, the halo... always bashing about something. Unbelievable..
oh wait, i was mistaken that we live in a dictatorship where you need to bend over and accept everything and like everything no matter what. :roll:

go ahead and tell me the double wiener nose, the platypus nose, the weird caterham nose, the halo, and now this complete ball right on the nose like rudolph the rednosed reindeer is making f1 cars look better? #-o :roll:

they don't, they make it look worse, it's that simple.

'somebody has a different opinion than me. unbelievable!'
"Unbelievable" is a phrase best used to describe people who seem to think F1 is about styling and not making the fastest car.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

unbeliavable is rulebook writers making a mess of things and causing clumsy and awkward results like the stepped noses for example.
if f1 was all about styling and nothing else then the tyrell 6-wheeler would never been banned, nor the fan mounted at the back of the brabham. just to name stuff.
a ball camera also has nothing to do with making the fastest car.
matter of fact, the halo doesn't either.

yet here we are.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Manoah2u wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 21:49
Cameras of any type have nothing to do with making the cars go faster, so why not remove them entirely?

roon
roon

3jawchuck wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 09:15
Well that image is clearly a temporary solution for testing, it will get tidier and less intrusive.
As Zynerji says, it is about time this arrived.
Yeah, the one tested at Abu Dhabi was more flush.

lio007 wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 17:21

FrukostScones

FIndycar. No thanks. Also they need a canopy now to deflect thT bastard ball when it sheeres oft i a crash.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Jolle
Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 21:49
unbeliavable is rulebook writers making a mess of things and causing clumsy and awkward results like the stepped noses for example.
if f1 was all about styling and nothing else then the tyrell 6-wheeler would never been banned, nor the fan mounted at the back of the brabham. just to name stuff.
matter of fact, the halo doesn't either.

yet here we are.
I don't think the six wheeler or the fan car were actually banned... The for the six wheeler the tires weren't available anymore and Bernie pulled the fan car before it could be banned.

The objective of the ball cam is to get more viewers, to upgrade the product to their biggest income stream: TV broadcasters. A better product and more exposure leads to more income what leads to more engineers which leads to faster cars.

roon
roon

Jolle wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 23:57
A better product and more exposure leads to more income what leads to more engineers which leads to faster cars.
Isn't funding in F1 more about wining-and-dining sponsors, finding motorsports fans in boardrooms, and sucking big, loose wallets into the spectacle of the thing? F1 is more about prestige and displays of wealth-power. The stands could go empty for all they care. Won't impact the pit-mingling and after-parties.

Jolle
Jolle

roon wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 00:11
Jolle wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 23:57
A better product and more exposure leads to more income what leads to more engineers which leads to faster cars.
Isn't funding in F1 more about wining-and-dining sponsors, finding motorsports fans in boardrooms, and sucking big, loose wallets into the spectacle of the thing? F1 is more about prestige and displays of wealth-power. The stands could go empty for all they care. Won't impact the pit-mingling and after-parties.
That's more of the old days and the lower classes (with no of almost none exposure) (and of course with use of some tax magic). For F1 most of the money really comes in from companies who use F1 in a proper way in their marketing.

roon
roon

Jolle wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 00:35
For F1 most of the money really comes in from companies who use F1 in a proper way in their marketing.
Sure, but those sponsorship deals arise from somewhere. Which is what I was eluding to in my previous post.

Saying it's about marketing or making claims as to the effectiveness of advertising is a good way to get the boardroom to part with money, if the board is composed of types who don't want to dump money into motorsport or who aren't inclined toward using company funds to rub shoulders amid financially elite gatherings. Other times, you have sympathetic boards who like to blow money on motorsport and you don't need to dubiously legitimize the expenditure via marketing excuses. Other times you simply have individuals with money.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

that is soooooo cute. I want more of them. /No joke.

adrianjordan

Sponsors want their logos to be seen. So even if tge majority of revenue comes from sponsors, increasing the TV viewing figures (*cough* put all races back on free to air live *cough*) increases their exposure meaning that teams can charge more for advertising space on their cars.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Moose
Moose

Oh man, this will be awesome. Fingers crossed we get some VR onboard videos posted!

jagunx51

Andres125sx wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 09:25
360 cameras rules, they provide unique points of view, and don´t worry about aesthetics, the halo will bring all your attention :mrgreen:

I also guess and hope in next season (or should I say this season at this point?) it will be integrated into the car much better, that´s a bolt on solution for testing
..... ehmmmm, the point is, it looks ugly
............!!!!

Andres125sx

jagunx51 wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 08:28
Andres125sx wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 09:25
360 cameras rules, they provide unique points of view, and don´t worry about aesthetics, the halo will bring all your attention :mrgreen:

I also guess and hope in next season (or should I say this season at this point?) it will be integrated into the car much better, that´s a bolt on solution for testing
..... ehmmmm, the point is, it looks ugly
So if a camera provide a great POV but it´s ugly you won´t use it? :wtf: :wtf: