Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot
323
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by PlatinumZealot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:29 am

MrPotatoHead wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:35 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:25 am
Returns are in marginal terittory now. They didnt gain 50hp in 2017 as was speculated by pundits and they sure wont gain 50hp this year! Maybe 20hp to 30hp max.
Someone at Mercedes told me they gained 50HP in 2017 from Fuel alone, so you are quite wrong.
They had a calculated 905 hp in 2014 (correct me if I am wrong here) and we know they were a little off 1000 hp at the end 2017 on the dyno, so something has to give!

Holm86
158
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:37 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by Holm86 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 am

wuzak wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:54 am
J.A.W. wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:11 pm


Hmm. Actaully yes. Looking at the photo there is not much space above the cams. The rockers must be underneath the cams.
Desmo actuation? Torsion bar valve springs?
Neither. Pneumatic valve springs.
Pneumatic valves are banned

wuzak
342
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by wuzak » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:52 pm

Holm86 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 am
wuzak wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:54 am
J.A.W. wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 pm


Desmo actuation? Torsion bar valve springs?
Neither. Pneumatic valve springs.
Pneumatic valves are banned
Maybe, but not the pneumatic valve return system.

Holm86
158
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:37 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by Holm86 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:26 am

wuzak wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:52 pm
Holm86 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 am
wuzak wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:54 am


Neither. Pneumatic valve springs.
Pneumatic valves are banned
Maybe, but not the pneumatic valve return system.
True, just looked through the technical regulations again, I just seemed to remember that they were banned too, but they arent :-)

roon
309
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by roon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:31 am

ringo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:46 pm
A possible idea is staggered or lapped surface inside the exhaust pipes, to reduce contact time and area of the exhaust gas and the pipes.
http://rs1010.pbsrc.com/albums/af226/du ... 0&fit=clip

similar to this:
https://http2.mlstatic.com/S_14336-MLB3 ... 2012-O.jpg
Uh oh...

Image

Image

(From the Williams launch vid.)

wonk123
1
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:44 am
Location: Bathurst, Australia

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by wonk123 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:40 am

roon wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:31 am
ringo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:46 pm
A possible idea is staggered or lapped surface inside the exhaust pipes, to reduce contact time and area of the exhaust gas and the pipes.
http://rs1010.pbsrc.com/albums/af226/du ... 0&fit=clip

similar to this:
https://http2.mlstatic.com/S_14336-MLB3 ... 2012-O.jpg
Uh oh...

https://i.imgur.com/qrQh4kZ.png

https://i.imgur.com/cIQARON.png

(From the Williams launch vid.)
I am amazed we haven't seen many versions of the Kline-Fogelman airfoil in various aspects of F1. It has been around for 50 years, and while it never lived up to its initial promise, there are many areas I can think of on an F1 car where micro-vortices may be helpful. Admittedly there are a lot smarter people in F1 than me

wuzak
342
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by wuzak » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:04 pm

roon wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:31 am
ringo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:46 pm
A possible idea is staggered or lapped surface inside the exhaust pipes, to reduce contact time and area of the exhaust gas and the pipes.
http://rs1010.pbsrc.com/albums/af226/du ... 0&fit=clip

similar to this:
https://http2.mlstatic.com/S_14336-MLB3 ... 2012-O.jpg
Uh oh...

https://i.imgur.com/qrQh4kZ.png

https://i.imgur.com/cIQARON.png

(From the Williams launch vid.)
Is that not a light?

roon
309
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by roon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:11 pm

wuzak wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:04 pm
roon wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:31 am
ringo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:46 pm
A possible idea is staggered or lapped surface inside the exhaust pipes, to reduce contact time and area of the exhaust gas and the pipes.
http://rs1010.pbsrc.com/albums/af226/du ... 0&fit=clip

similar to this:
https://http2.mlstatic.com/S_14336-MLB3 ... 2012-O.jpg
Uh oh...

https://i.imgur.com/qrQh4kZ.png

https://i.imgur.com/cIQARON.png

(From the Williams launch vid.)
Is that not a light?
I think it's just CG technobabble, but it bore a striking resemblance to previous discussion. :D

avilella
0
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:00 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by avilella » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:04 pm

Any ideas/guesses on how new this year's motor sounds from today's film outing by Valteri Bottas?

Evolution or revolution?

Mercedes engine still sounds the most 'jet engine' sounding of all motors.

PlatinumZealot
323
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by PlatinumZealot » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:26 pm

It sounds the same to me. Gotten so used to it over these last 4 years of domination. :wink:

godlameroso
236
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by godlameroso » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:32 pm

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:26 pm
It sounds the same to me. Gotten so used to it over these last 4 years of domination. :wink:
Crazy that this is the 5th year of developing these power units.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

McHonda
12
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by McHonda » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:01 pm

For Mercedes it's the start of year 8. (They started in 2011)

Facts Only
270
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:25 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by Facts Only » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:20 pm

2010
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

McHonda
12
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by McHonda » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:28 pm

Dayumn. =D>

Mudflap
95
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post by Mudflap » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:40 pm

Not really, everyone was doing the inline 4 back then.
How much TQ does it make though?