2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

A DNF is a DNF if its for a £2 bolt or a £20m engine. No matter how good the car is it has to finish

Mclaren have been in the business long enough now for someone in the organization to step up and handle this trivial stuff. I have no doubt they will, but the clock is running on them.
How the world sees them affects their income, which affects their ability, which affects... etc.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

kfrantzios wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 18:50
I keep reading that there are tethering issues with the new Renault PU. STR has a new engine too, with different layout as well and the same late timed decision to switch. However they seem to have no issues at all. Sure there are rumors that they changed a few engines, they might not be as aggressive packaging an cooling wise, but they seem fast and consistent. To be honest I was expecting these results vise versa. McLaren should be fast consistent and reliable and STR not. I can't accept McLaren's 2$ issues, and my personal opinion is that Boullier is not fit for the job. As an engineer (civil) running a construction company, I really cannot stand that "hands_in_pockets chatting" attitude of EB.
Regarding the pit stops, where is the innovation Brown promised? Sure people are talking about McLaren on that matter but I hope that he had something else in mind.. I was hoping for some robo action...
I get the feeling that Toro Rosso and Honda would be quite conservative with packaging etc, and rightly so, clearly it has worked. But Mclaren can't afford to work within those parameters, they're on a different philosophy. EB already put their hand up and said they didn't do a good job preparing the car for this test. Hopefully, because of high level of commitment on the race one car.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

Even Williams had burnt body parts.

It's not the end of the world. I'm sure it will be corrected before Australia.

Andres125sx

With Honda fans looking for any problem to bash McLaren, and Dennis fans doing the same, it´s becoming pretty tiring reading this thread....

And this is only winter testing, prepare yourself guys for the season, if they don´t score podiums regulary (so not even haters can criticize), this thread will be unbearible and/or moderators will need a compensation for the time it will take them to clean it up

Hopefully they will perform, Alonso will do some awesome race, and we´ll get rid of the criticism.... fingers crossed!

Andres125sx

mclaren111 wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 08:20
https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/S ... 152159.jpg

Even Williams had burnt body parts.

It's not the end of the world. I'm sure it will be corrected before Australia.
They´re using same motor to past season so they can´t use McLaren excuse, wich for some people surely mean they´re useless and shouldn´t be running a F1 team :mrgreen: #-o :P

Andres125sx

marvin78 wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 14:56
I did not.
So you think it´s not possible for a driver to fight for the tittle till last race with a car wich is withing half a second?

marvin78
marvin78

As of 5 years ago I would have believed that but with the reliability of the current era there is no chance.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 18:32
GoranF1 wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 18:10
Vandoorne:
-Mclaren never run on low fuel during test
- Ferrari and Mercedes to far ATM
- Points should be possible in AUS
-Reliability not concern

Alonso stint:

Outlap

CoolDown

CoolDown

16.7 (deleted)

Inlap
No comment on Red Bull?
Aiming high...

Nickt9999
Nickt9999

Just walked past Zak Brown at the Eurostar terminal in St. Pancras London. Wonder where he is off to.

Alonso Fan

Did you say hi?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Andres125sx

marvin78 wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 10:23
As of 5 years ago I would have believed that but with the reliability of the current era there is no chance.
Do you mean the lack of reliability for Renault, or the great reliability for Mercedes?

Anycase, that was only a remark by Godalermoso wich obviously is fairly optimistic and we´re taking too far

marvin78
marvin78

As I wrote: The reliability of the current era. It's overall very good compared to previous years. And reliability (as is power and fuel consumption) is a great part of Mercedes' success. I believe that a car within half a second can win a few races (with any driver) but there is one Team out there which always wins the long game (also as I believe with any driver).

Andres125sx

With frozen V8s reliability was much better ;)

And disagree with your "any driver " statement. Even when cars are 80% of the perfomance (at least), they´re far from robots who perform the same, and there´s a huge difference between Alonso, Vettel or Hamilton, and Bottas, Kimi or Stoffel. I´ll dare to say even between some of the first group, I can´t see Vetel or Alonso making as many mistakes as Lewis :P

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Andres125sx wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 10:14
With Honda fans looking for any problem to bash McLaren, and Dennis fans doing the same, it´s becoming pretty tiring reading this thread....

And this is only winter testing, prepare yourself guys for the season, if they don´t score podiums regulary (so not even haters can criticize), this thread will be unbearible and/or moderators will need a compensation for the time it will take them to clean it up

Hopefully they will perform, Alonso will do some awesome race, and we´ll get rid of the criticism.... fingers crossed!
=D> Oh thank god. I was thinking I was the only one.

diffuser

kfrantzios wrote:
I keep reading that there are tethering issues with the new Renault PU. STR has a new engine too, with different layout as well and the same late timed decision to switch. However they seem to have no issues at all. Sure there are rumors that they changed a few engines, they might not be as aggressive packaging an cooling wise, but they seem fast and consistent. To be honest I was expecting these results vise versa. McLaren should be fast consistent and reliable and STR not. I can't accept McLaren's 2$ issues
I read some stuff about Honda's PUs but I'm not gonna talk about it here and it is in the Honda thread.

I think their biggest problem is that they need 1 of those whole Chassis/PU/dynos where they can shake out alot of this stuff before they hit testing.
kfrantzios wrote:
my personal opinion is that Boullier is not fit for the job. As an engineer (civil) running a construction company, I really cannot stand that "hands_in_pockets chatting" attitude of EB.
Not sure what you mean. I'm not a big fan of his interactions with the media but I don't think that this his primary job. He tends to be a lightning rod for these things, not sure if it is his french name or what. To be honest I'm not even really sure what he does.
kfrantzios wrote:
Regarding the pit stops, where is the innovation Brown promised? Sure people are talking about McLaren on that matter but I hope that he had something else in mind.. I was hoping for some robo action...
I saw a new Carbon fibre lift. Haven't really spent alot of time looking at that.