2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Re: 2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

So Hamilton is almost .3 seconds slower than this time last year but the cars are faster? Alonso only gained .8 seconds from last year?
Last edited by godlameroso on 23 Mar 2018, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Gothrek wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 20:01
foxmulder_ms wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 17:33
Gothrek wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 16:25
Looks like another WDC/WCC for Mercedes. The biggest budget wins yet again.
How do you even know that?? Why do you think they spend more than Ferrari or RedBull.
They spend more than double as Ferrari or Renault on the engine by 2015. Just google it. You will find it.
So you are telling us that everything that we can find on Google is true?
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 23 Mar 2018, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

godlameroso wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 20:01
So Hamilton is almost .3 seconds slower than this time last year but the cars are faster? Alonso only gained .8 seconds from last year?
Didn't they say that the track was a lot hotter this year and so the teams weren't getting as much time out of the softer compounds?

Pirelli really confuses things when they have such convoluted "working ranges".

godlameroso

There really doesn't seem to be a one lap performance difference between compounds, the only difference between the 3 compounds is which one lasts longer and is more consistent in the race.

Even if it's hotter it doesn't explain how the cars have slower lap times than last year if the new cars are faster. I guess they haven't learned how to get the best out of the new rubber.
Saishū kōnā

strad

Great
Just what we needed . Another DRS zone. NOT!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

godlameroso

Party on Wayne.

Also weather update, looks like a dry race, and although there's a good chance of rain today it's not 100% guaranteed qualiy will be wet, in fact equally good chance of wet track but drying conditions.
Saishū kōnā

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

santos wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 19:44
So, i've been Reading some predictions for qualifying. And many people talk about some "Party Mode" of Mercedes, and that mode will give them (maybe) the front row. Does Force India and Williams have that "Party Mode"?
No they dont.

dans79

godlameroso wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 20:07
There really doesn't seem to be a one lap performance difference between compounds, the only difference between the 3 compounds is which one lasts longer and is more consistent in the race.

Even if it's hotter it doesn't explain how the cars have slower lap times than last year if the new cars are faster. I guess they haven't learned how to get the best out of the new rubber.
I think the simple answer is that none of the teams have turned the engines up yet. Now that the engines have to last 7 GP, they are only going to turn them up when they absolutely have to, so the top teams won't do so till Q3.
197 104 103 7

dans79

foxmulder_ms wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 20:36
santos wrote:
So, i've been Reading some predictions for qualifying. And many people talk about some "Party Mode" of Mercedes, and that mode will give them (maybe) the front row. Does Force India and Williams have that "Party Mode"?
No they dont.
This is completely wrong, it's been mandated that they must all be the same for 2018.

https://www.pitpass.com/61096/FIA-moves ... ine-parity
197 104 103 7

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

dans79 wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 20:41
foxmulder_ms wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 20:36
santos wrote:
No they dont.
This is completely wrong, it's been mandated that they must all be the same for 2018.

https://www.pitpass.com/61096/FIA-moves ... ine-parity
I was humoring him ;)

vanburin

I find Lewis' comments interesting (From espnf1.com)
"So it felt a lot more normal," Hamilton replied when asked how the car felt in comparison to Barcelona. "But obviously the car is quicker here than it was last year, so it feels better everywhere. Turns 11 and 12 are just crazy! We are not even braking into that corner, it is insane! But we are going to get quicker and quicker through the weekend. Well if it does not rain."
Quicker than last year, and yet the times to this point do not indicate that. Increased cornering speed and yet slower overall lap times must surely indicate the engines are severely turned down. Or increased drag perhaps from the higher downforce levels?

Here is the speed trap data from last year's race.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/results/2 ... 440/?st=ST

And comparing that to the data from FP1, the general sense is everyone is 8-10 kph down in speed year to year.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 20:38
I think the simple answer is that none of the teams have turned the engines up yet. Now that the engines have to last 7 GP, they are only going to turn them up when they absolutely have to, so the top teams won't do so till Q3.
More likely Q2. Would Mercedes or Ferrari risk running in "boring mode" and have Williams, FI or Haas suddenly turning up the volume in the last two minutes of Q2 and knocking them out of the top 10? I can see Q1 being "boring mode on" for the top guys as the bottom of the grid won't be fast enough either way but FI or Haas might just be able to do it in Q2. The top three teams will do a banker in "boring mode" in Q2 and then be on track in the last two minutes with "party mode" ready to go if necessary.

Later in the season they might feel secure enough to stay in "boring mode" until Q3, however, once they know exactly where the midfield is in relative performance.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sieper

Q3, party, you are not invited, mode. Very exclusive. Silver car(d) owners club only.

FMP
FMP

f1316 wrote:
tranquility2k4 wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 18:39
A word of warning for those thinking it may be close at the front (forgetting about rain i'm on about raw speed here if it is dry). Several times last year after Friday practice Red Bull and or Ferrari were ahead of Merc on 1 lap pace and/or on the long runs an then Merc were similar to them or ahead when it came to quali and the race. As it stands everything looks very close from Friday so if that normal pattern emerges I would expect Merc to have quite a bit in hand.

I recall often seeing Merc and RB close on long run times on Friday but then Merc way ahead in the actual race and thinking why didn't that show in the Friday long runs. It's either fuel or engine usage in one way or another.

It's likely that Merc can turn up their engines a lot more compared with RB. Remember Baku last year? Merc were behind in short and long run, by quite a bit and looked average. On Saturday and Sunday they dominated.

The only times the others had a chance last year was when another team looks quite dominant on a specific track or when Merc have a really poor Friday. Neither looks the case here so I think business as usual. If you want to see the real performance look at the average time on the 2nd stint they did in the long runs in Practice 2. Hamilton and Bottas far ahead of competition on the SS and S tyres respectively. They were clearly nursing the US tyres in stint 1 and unleashed potential in stint 2.

What's most surprising is the cars are not any faster than last year, in fact in the long runs especially Merc were quite a bit slower. Either this is because of the track temps or Merc really have their engine on mode 1 out of 10.
Several times last year Ferrari looked behind on a Friday and then came in extremely strong in Q3, dropping back slightly vs Mercedes in quali. That was the general pattern of 2017 practice.

Hungary was a prime example of where the gap was big enough in Q3 for them to maintain a lead despite Mercedes closing up - but they were a clear third on the Friday.

Not saying it’s necessarily going to happen but it was a pattern
I'm just going to add that last year Hamilton had a bigger advantage in FP1 and FP2 whereas Vettel won the race. I don't believe anybody can threaten Merc winning this year but just sayin'...

dans79

FMP wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 22:27
I'm just going to add that last year Hamilton had a bigger advantage in FP1 and FP2 whereas Vettel won the race. I don't believe anybody can threaten Merc winning this year but just sayin'...
Over a single lap yea, but Hamilton's long run pace was not nearly as consistent as it is this year.

I'd go as far as saying by going for a longer wheelbase Ferrari picked up some of the diva issues.
197 104 103 7