2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
FrukostScones

Re: 2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 14:12
Casey was able to get results on a ducati that no rider has been able to since. Thats a fact. Rossi Lorenzo Nicky Cal CrazyJoe all failed.
Winning a title on the Honda is always something that is expected, Marquez hasn't done anything unexpected yet. Rossi had to move away to better himself and prove 'its just the bike'

As for retirement, your saying he's not as good because he retired too early is laughable. It takes nothing away from someones talent. We're not comparing records here, just skills. If it were records then Marquez is not as good as Rossi, but we all know Marquez is currently better than Rossi. Also JL is one of the best but at the moment he's a pile of crap, just another looney unable to ride a Ducati.

You guys really underestimate Casey for what ever reason. Fact is He done something none of the current riders could do. Ask yourself, how many world championships have Ducati won. Then look at how big the list of Honda champions is. Win it on a honda? Bit deal.
I was Stoner & Rossi fan back then. Was a bit difficult.

And yes, Casey was the only driver who mastered the Ducati. This alone makes him an special champion.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

etusch

Aprilla Motogp Bike Assembly
Last edited by etusch on 01 May 2018, 23:00, edited 2 times in total.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Re: thumb operated rear brake, Mick Doohan pioneered the use of this set-up, via his familiarity with PWC
(jet-ski) controls, when severe leg injuries functionally affected his foot proprioception.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

strad

proprioception
Nice word.. Thanks.. You have expanded my vocabulary. Although I'm not sure when I'll get to use it.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Back in Spain - for Jerez this weekend..
FP1 had Dovi just ahead of M.M., with the top 18 within a second of the leader,
& with only Suzuki out of all the contending makes.. so far just outside the top 10, Ianone cutting in, at 11th quickest..

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Jerez FP3 has M.M. still on top ( despite crashing earlier), from C.C. & A.I. got his Suzuki up to 3rd..

J.Z. is quickest Yamaha, in 4th, J.L. is now top Ducati man in 5th, from 2nd string Duc rider J.M. in 6th..

Factory riders V.R. & D.P. are next on the list..

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Cal took Jerez Q:pole with a record pace blinder, from a resurgent Dani, & J.Z. in 3rd, J.L. top Duc 4th; & M.M. 5th..

GPR-A duplicate2

Another calm and disciplined ride from Marquez! The past and the present riders (who were unhappy with him a couple of races back) should be happy seeing him ride like this. :lol:

etusch

I could watch only last 14 laps of the race. Unfortunately Honda especially unlucky pedrosa lost one podium. I think he was the only one completely innocent at that incident. Lorenzo ride wrong into the race line because he must be aware that pedrosa will pass them after that mistake of both ducati.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Full credit to M.M., who, after crashing several times in practice, rode so 'clinically' - to the race win at Jerez,
inc' a typically cat-quick reaction-save, after getting out of shape on the 'kitty litter' - thrown on track by other crashers..

The number of DNF's was pretty much the only remarkable thing about the race,( & Cal* crashed out early), but
the wild 'triple-whammy' crash of Jorge/Dani/Andrea was a 'doozy'.. it is fortunate that no bad injuries resulted.

Factory Yamaha squad results were again dismal..

Yet weirdly, 2nd place getter - J.Z., who is outperforming them on his 2nd string Tech 3 Yamaha,
has reportedly turned down the opportunity to replace Dani at HRC Honda - for next year,
& instead, accepted a KTM contract!

*Crutchlow doubtless would love to pick up Dani's Repsol-HRC Honda ride for next season, but IMO, his overtly 'lippy' manner,
& propensity for crashing - while trotting out lame excuses for doing so - makes its doubtful.. its not the 'Honda way'.

Andres125sx

That was bad luck for the three!

I agree with stwards decision, a racing incident, but if someone would be to blame he´s Lorenzo, as Etusch explained he´s the one returning to the racing line after a mistake, so he should be the one to be aware if there was another rider on the line. But I really think it was a racing incident.

Marquez.... wow what a save, and perfect race

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Andres125sx wrote:
07 May 2018, 08:37

I agree with stwards decision, a racing incident, but if someone would be to blame he´s Lorenzo, as Etusch explained he´s the one returning to the racing line after a mistake, so he should be the one to be aware if there was another rider on the line. But I really think it was a racing incident.

I'd reckon that's a bit harsh on Jorge there Andres.. he was going hard out to keep his spot, ( only M.M. had got ahead of him)
& Moto GP bikes do not feature mirrors.. so the onus is on the would be overtaker - to make his own arrangements..

etusch

J.A.W. wrote:
07 May 2018, 10:10
Andres125sx wrote:
07 May 2018, 08:37

I'd reckon that's a bit harsh on Jorge there Andres.. he was going hard out to keep his spot, ( only M.M. had got ahead of him)
& Moto GP bikes do not feature mirrors.. so the onus is on the would be overtaker - to make his own arrangements..
Team mate is first rival, so he try to show that he can be better than him. I was expecting better Lorenzo this year but he couldn't do it by now. Ducati bike looks very steady on braking and running. As miller said it is easier to ride I think but somehow it is not good for Lorenzo.
Lorenzo couldn't see Pedrosa even if there are mirrors on the bike . Because of battle he had and because of where Pedrosa was when Lorenzo made his move to the racing line.

Starscreamer

My opinion it was Lorenzo fault :(
Big crash for Pedrosa :shock:
Red Bull gives you indeed wings :wtf:

Wrong bike :lol:
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

GPR-A duplicate2

J.A.W. wrote:
07 May 2018, 00:53
Full credit to M.M., who, after crashing several times in practice, rode so 'clinically' - to the race win at Jerez,
inc' a typically cat-quick reaction-save, after getting out of shape on the 'kitty litter' - thrown on track by other crashers..
That is what I like about the guy. Last year too, in the final race, he had almost lost his bike going into gravel, but managed to save and go on to complete the race. There are numerous occasions he does that.

And what a celebration after the final lap. :lol: :lol: :lol: