Wheel nut threads

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Wheel nut threads

That's nothing to do with a highbee, and I don't know why you would recommend running the first thread at a different pitch - there's a recipe for disaster if I ever saw one :shock:

PhillipM
PhillipM

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 May 2018, 21:08
what are those ribs to the right of the thread in the photo?
For the retaining fingers to clip into (that are supposed to keep the wheel on if the nut isn't torqued)

strad

you need to go back and re-watch the videos explaining how a Higbee is made and why.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PhillipM
PhillipM

I know exactly why a highbee is made, I'm a machinist, I've made plenty over the years.

I find that rather ironic telling someone else they don't know, given that you couldn't tell that the start of that thread was highbee'd even though it's blatently got a full width start.

strad

“The goal is to remove the final part of the thread which is usually a small fin on the turned 45 degree angle portion of the part blank up to where it is a full profile 60 degree thread form
In the picture there is no change in pitch. But you can believe whatever you want.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PhillipM
PhillipM

A blunt start/highbee thread is not a change in pitch, not at all.

It's removal of the start of the thread back to the first full width section, it's nothing to do with pitch.

PhillipM
PhillipM

This is all a blunt start/highbee modification is - you remove the thin, easiest damaged portion at the start of a thread back to a full width - which gives a solid 'feel' to the start of a thread when fitting by hand and helps prevent damage with repeated hand starts - which is why it's used on thread gauges, fire hoses, etc:

What it isn't, is a magic solution that will stop a 10krpm+, 2500ft lb torque wheelgun from mashing threads whether they like it or not.

strad

Either you are purposely being disingenuous or not understanding the quotes I have put up.
I learned from a guy with over 50 years experience when we were doing work for Boeing.
If you want to be Mr Knowitall that's fine I don't claim to be a master machinist like you do so go for it.
Sir Stirling Moss

PhillipM
PhillipM

You didn't learn anything, anyone that had even seen a single Higbee'd thread, made one, or had just a basic understanding of how a bolt and nut works would realise it's nothing to do with variable pitch.

The only person not understanding the quotes you have put up is yourself, because you found something on google and latched onto as a magic bullet without understanding:
a) What it is, and
b) That they already use it.

PlatinumZealot

strad wrote:
07 May 2018, 19:39
“The goal is to remove the final part of the thread which is usually a small fin on the turned 45 degree angle portion of the part blank up to where it is a full profile 60 degree thread form
In the picture there is no change in pitch. But you can believe whatever you want.
He did not said anything about change in pitch. Strange response...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

strad

I tried to put in more layman terms.
It can't be spelled out any clearer than the quotes and video I posted.
I don't come here to be sucked into stupid arguments.
You can retreat under your bridge and wait for your next victim.
I yield the field to your superior knowledge of all things.
I learned about Higbees from a master machinist 43 years ago and while MY memory may fail me those quotes make it clear that my understanding is correct.
Sorry if my choice of words wasn't correct to your thinking .
Sir Stirling Moss

PhillipM
PhillipM

This is a technical forum, don't start mixing up unrelated terms and then jumping down the throat of someone when you get called on it.

And lets quote you, given that excuse:
"But it looks to me like the first thread is the same pitch as the second thread and that's where the difference lies. IMO"

You also say later on "In the picture there is no change in pitch, not at all"

Now, that shows that it wasn't just you getting terms mixed up, but rather your entire understanding, as a higbee has nothing to do with the second thread, at all. No relevance.
As for the second quote you're right, there's no change in pitch, which you can see on the photo - but then that's because a Higbee has nothing to do with pitch...so you evidently were looking at the actual pitch, and not the thread form at the tip - which is the Higbee/blunt start.

So how about instead of getting uppity and whining about trolls when you get corrected, you take a step back, learn why you were wrong, and come back and say so, or just don't come back if you can't stand being corrected and having an actual discussion, and instead have to have a little temper tantrum like when you've told a 6-year old he's naughty.

strad

The whole point is there is no blunted first thread in that picture which defines a Higbee.
I'm done you can save your insults.
And I have not seen anything from you except your self proclaimed expertise.
Sir Stirling Moss

PhillipM
PhillipM

There is, you can see it right there in the photo, both ends of the thread, as clear as day.

Calling someone else's expertise self-appointed is ironic given the amount of blustering you've done about 960 year old mythical Boeing machinist firemen, teaching you this top-secret method that nobody else knows - because it's only found on certain things....like the start of every single thread gauge in every machinists/engineers toolbox for the past few decades....

strad

Phillip your ad hominem attacks and attempts at bullying do not paint you in a very good light.
I never said or implied that a Higbee was top secret or unknown to others.
Sir Stirling Moss