Poll: who will be ahead in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Who will have the better car in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:59 pm

1. McLaren-Renault
72%
2. STR-Honda
28%

Total votes: 105

Big Tea

Re: Poll: who will be ahead in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda

Post by Big Tea » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:07 pm

adrianjordan wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:58 am
AJI wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:28 pm
McHonda wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:51 am
Shock horror STR repeat Bahrain performance in next track that is slow corners and straights.

They have very good traction and low downforce set up and the straights aren't long enough to expose deployment deficiency unlike China and Baku. On these types of tracks STR will lead until McLaren fix their traction and straight line issues.
I don't get it. Are you pro-Honda or pro-McLaren? I assumed Honda more than Maca..?
Honda introduced a significant upgrade and it worked (well, one of the PU's worked), but it's great!
Why does someone have to choose? Can’t we support both?
I do. At the moment I think STR is doing a better job, but Mclaren is capable of more. I follow them with this in mind.
Gee up STR and say could do better to Mclaren (because they can, or should)

AJI

Post by AJI » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:30 pm

adrianjordan wrote:
Of course we can support both, but the title of the thread/poll is, '...who will be ahead', so you do have to choose, right at the top of the 1st page...

techman

Post by techman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:59 pm

with this new honda upgrade i think, toro rosso would well be ahead of mclaren. just wish they had a good drivers. gasly is ok and the other is struggline

McHonda

Post by McHonda » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:02 am

They'll be ahead on the Bahrain,Canada type tracks for sure. Traction limited with plenty of straights and few or no high speed corners.

France and Austria could be good for STR but this thread will be very quiet in Silverstone and afterwards it will depend on the next round of upgrades so too early to say.

techman

Post by techman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:39 am

yes i think traction and straights favours toro rosso
fast coners and mid corner favours mclaren

adrianjordan

Post by adrianjordan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 am

AJI wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:30 pm
adrianjordan wrote:
Of course we can support both, but the title of the thread/poll is, '...who will be ahead', so you do have to choose, right at the top of the 1st page...
Obviously you have to choose in the poll. However my comment was in response to someone asking whether a particular user was pro-McLaren or pro-Honda. My point was that they could be pro-both.

There seems to be a growing trend online these days of people feeling like everyone has to fall into one of 2 extreme categories.
In 2007 I had the chance to go to a meet-and-greet with an F1 test driver. I decided not to as I didn't think he'd even amount to much...he was the BMW Sauber test driver and his name was Sebastian Vettel...

AJI

Post by AJI » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:10 am

adrianjordan wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 am
AJI wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
Obviously you have to choose in the poll. However my comment was in response to someone asking whether a particular user was pro-McLaren or pro-Honda. My point was that they could be pro-both.

There seems to be a growing trend online these days of people feeling like everyone has to fall into one of 2 extreme categories.
I appreciate your point, but I'm not going to play 'guess the logical fallacy' in a thread that was created to generate a black or white answer.

There's nothing wrong with liking both, but that user, who's views I respect, has the user name of McHonda. That amalgamation of two company names creates a problem when you're asked a straight question about who you like more, after the two entities are no longer amalgamated...

For me, Marlborough McLaren/TAG and then Marlborough McLaren/Honda, we're the years when I was first truly fanatical about F1. I have a very romanticised view of that period, so when McLaren/Honda was re-formed I was truly excited. Then came the extreme disappointment...

But that's not what we're discussing here. What's subtly being discussed is who has fallen the farthest and who we think will pull themselves out of the mire the fastest. It's a valid discussion and 'can't everyone be a winner' doesn't fit the narrative.

makecry

Post by makecry » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:15 am

AJI wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:10 am
adrianjordan wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 am
AJI wrote:

I appreciate your point, but I'm not going to play 'guess the logical fallacy' in a thread that was created to generate a black or white answer.

There's nothing wrong with liking both, but that user, who's views I respect, has the user name of McHonda. That amalgamation of two company names creates a problem when you're asked a straight question about who you like more, after the two entities are no longer amalgamated...

For me, Marlborough McLaren/TAG and then Marlborough McLaren/Honda, we're the years when I was first truly fanatical about F1. I have a very romanticised view of that period, so when McLaren/Honda was re-formed I was truly excited. Then came the extreme disappointment...

But that's not what we're discussing here. What's subtly being discussed is who has fallen the farthest and who we think will pull themselves out of the mire the fastest. It's a valid discussion and 'can't everyone be a winner' doesn't fit the narrative.
TBH, Honda's job is "easier" than McLaren's. Honda has the most important thing in the world i.e $$$$. Only way McLaren will get out of the mess they are in if they somehow find $100-150mil/yr and get that rolling chassis dyno and that is not going to happen any time soon.

AJI

Post by AJI » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:56 am

makecry wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:15 am

TBH, Honda's job is "easier" than McLaren's. Honda has the most important thing in the world i.e $$$$. Only way McLaren will get out of the mess they are in if they somehow find $100-150mil/yr and get that rolling chassis dyno and that is not going to happen any time soon.
Ya, McLaren made a monumental f-up in ditching Honda. No more free PU, no 'partner' payment, no Alonso wages, and a payout to Honda for breaking contract...
Couple that with 3 years of PU building experience (and the likelihood that Honda would eventually get it right for a transition to Red Bull) and it makes the whole STR vs McLaren thing pretty pointless. It's all about Red Bull Honda vs McLaren Renault.

makecry

Post by makecry » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:06 pm

AJI wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:56 am
makecry wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:15 am

Ya, McLaren made a monumental f-up in ditching Honda. No more free PU, no 'partner' payment, no Alonso wages, and a payout to Honda for breaking contract...
Couple that with 3 years of PU building experience (and the likelihood that Honda would eventually get it right for a transition to Red Bull) and it makes the whole STR vs McLaren thing pretty pointless. It's all about Red Bull Honda vs McLaren Renault.
As a HUGE Fernando fan, it pains me to say this but RBR-Honda vs McLaren-Renault is not even a legit comparision. McLaren is not even in the same league anymore.

HPD

Post by HPD » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:39 pm

To clarify something
Is this survey to know which team has the most points in the championship?
Or are we comparing teams for their performance?
There is quite a difference.

Mclaren could end the year with more points, but with a weaker car than TR. So how do we solve this survey?

techman

Post by techman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:07 pm

i honestly believe that mclaren car currently is a weaker car to toro rosso , its just that their drivers are better overall.

vassilispapadop

Post by vassilispapadop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:49 pm

techman wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:07 pm
i honestly believe that mclaren car currently is a weaker car to toro rosso , its just that their drivers are better overall.
For sure ALO is better driver than rest 3(VAN,GAS,HAR)

rscsr

Post by rscsr » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:52 pm

vassilispapadop wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:49 pm
techman wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:07 pm
For sure ALO is better driver than rest 3(VAN,GAS,HAR)
I am also pretty certain that Van is better than Har in F1.

techman

Post by techman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:59 pm

yes hartly is just too slow. he is not ready. van is definetly quicker than har