2018 French Grand Prix, Le Castellet, June 22-24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wynters
Wynters

Re: 2018 French Grand Prix, Le Castellet, June 22-24

I wonder if Paddy Lowe will see out the season?
Last edited by Wynters on 25 Jun 2018, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

zeph
zeph

That was not a bad race, but man, I feel for Bottas. That dude just can’t get a break.

Vettel is the luckiest SOB on the grid, no kidding.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

z.topoln wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 20:50
Track was good, passes from vettel and bottas were expected, but kimi made one on ric, ric made one on vettel, hulk passed perez, those were all fair game.

Its a cool track all in all, and was a cool race. Maybe a 10s penalty for vettel would be a better measure, but that wouldnt have change a thing, its the way cookie crumbles sometimes.

Its too bad we didnt see the pace of ferrari vs merc in clear terms. The pace vettel showed in traffic was immense, he had red bull pace while overtaking half of field.

For all the ones asking how he got dotd - he provided most entertainment.

I would still like to think how the track would look without chicane, side by side at 360 kmh into a very very fast corner, sounds mega.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Rewatch the Ricciardo Vettel pass, Vettel straight up pulled left midway through the corner and let him by, that wasn't a 'pass'. Remember at that point in the race Vettel had a crash, threw away a shedload of points and due to the 5 second penalty he was already effectively behind Ricciardo anyway. Why risk losing more points with another collision to a guy who is actually going to have position on him at the end of the race. he moved over and let him through. So many drivers choosing not to fight.

Ricciardo had some kind of damage or performance loss which led to him being uncompetitive in pace, Kimi went past with no issue and no real fighting either though it was a 'genuine' pass.

The thing I found really strange in the race was almost no one defended into the chicane on the backstraight, most guys stayed outside and let it go, didn't try to brake late and stay alongside or pressure the other driver they just braked early and let the other guy onto the racing line to take the corner normally. I think I saw two guys move to the inside down the straight but also didn't fight at all in the braking zone. They also for me moved very far inside leaving the outside wide. I think the key may have been plant it in the middle, if the other driver goes inside they'll have to brake early to make the turn and outside the guy on the inside will be a worry so they might not try and dive around the outside into the corner. The lack of defending throughout the race was lets say worrying for the state of F1.

maxxer
maxxer

dans79 wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 20:47
Wow, Max is still butt hurt about the press.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13700 ... ttel-crash
butt hurt ? Seems a clear explanation of how the media works , as they have nothing else to write about between races they will come up with stories especially paid sites like auto sport , can already see the article "Should Vettel drive less aggressive to become WDC"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Juzh wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 23:51
Wanna know just how bitter Alonso is?

(team radio just after spin)
https://streamable.com/cvkeq

Flat out wishing damage on opponent's car, after being utterly mugged round the outside and cought sleeping. Hopefully mclaren is bad enough the entire year so he packs up his things and leaves for indycar.
save the drama for yourself. you know, i'd really like for your literal opponents, like some job competitor, or colleagues to grab and record when you have a frustrating week, where everything around you goes wrong, you have the media breathing in your neck, supervisors constantly looking on, in a business that's chaotic and rioting, having had great promises including getting a better position, all to see it never happen, empty promises, and then your competitor barges in from nowhere, almost walks over you whilst doing your job so you even tumble from your chair or fall over, and see that competitor take your position.

i really, really would like to see your reaction, which you give in private to your 'trustperson' whether that be your family or close friend, over the telephone, in a closed environment, immediately after, and then that call has been 'stolen' and then put publically over the internet so you can be judged.

because that's pretty much what's happening here.

stop with the exegeration.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

turbof1

dans79 wrote:

I think he was just being funny. Obviously he holds a bit of a grudge, but we do need more of this kind of emotion in press room. He did made a point though; it's not like anyone is going to change their driving style, the notion of that is silly.

(btw, did you notice how basically everybody had to laugh with, except for Raikkonen? The guy looked like an emotionless robot!)
#AeroFrodo

maxxer
maxxer

Manoah2u wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 07:11
Juzh wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 23:51
Wanna know just how bitter Alonso is?

(team radio just after spin)
https://streamable.com/cvkeq

Flat out wishing damage on opponent's car, after being utterly mugged round the outside and cought sleeping. Hopefully mclaren is bad enough the entire year so he packs up his things and leaves for indycar.
save the drama for yourself. you know, i'd really like for your literal opponents, like some job competitor, or colleagues to grab and record when you have a frustrating week, where everything around you goes wrong, you have the media breathing in your neck, supervisors constantly looking on, in a business that's chaotic and rioting, having had great promises including getting a better position, all to see it never happen, empty promises, and then your competitor barges in from nowhere, almost walks over you whilst doing your job so you even tumble from your chair or fall over, and see that competitor take your position.

i really, really would like to see your reaction, which you give in private to your 'trustperson' whether that be your family or close friend, over the telephone, in a closed environment, immediately after, and then that call has been 'stolen' and then put publically over the internet so you can be judged.

because that's pretty much what's happening here.

stop with the exegeration.
Lol its Alonso , he manages himself, tells the team the strategy , just brilliant

GPR-A duplicate2

FrukostScones wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 15:03

Lost motivation: HAM.
Looking forward to you opening a thead like, "Lost his Mind: VET". Surely deserves a thread after Azerbaijan and France. :lol: :lol: :lol:

LM10
LM10

GPR-A wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 08:03
FrukostScones wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 15:03

Lost motivation: HAM.
Looking forward to you opening a thead like, "Lost his Mind: VET". Surely deserves a thread after Azerbaijan and France. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Funny? Baku was last year and France wasn't even a big deal. What are you on about? He explained the crash already and also apologized.
Maybe you should just be happy about Hamilton's win and stop provoking?

Edit: If you mean his lockup in Baku this year: That's racing..

TwanV
TwanV

drunkf1fan wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 04:38
z.topoln wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 20:50
Track was good, passes from vettel and bottas were expected, but kimi made one on ric, ric made one on vettel, hulk passed perez, those were all fair game.

Its a cool track all in all, and was a cool race. Maybe a 10s penalty for vettel would be a better measure, but that wouldnt have change a thing, its the way cookie crumbles sometimes.

Its too bad we didnt see the pace of ferrari vs merc in clear terms. The pace vettel showed in traffic was immense, he had red bull pace while overtaking half of field.

For all the ones asking how he got dotd - he provided most entertainment.

I would still like to think how the track would look without chicane, side by side at 360 kmh into a very very fast corner, sounds mega.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Rewatch the Ricciardo Vettel pass, Vettel straight up pulled left midway through the corner and let him by, that wasn't a 'pass'. Remember at that point in the race Vettel had a crash, threw away a shedload of points and due to the 5 second penalty he was already effectively behind Ricciardo anyway. Why risk losing more points with another collision to a guy who is actually going to have position on him at the end of the race. he moved over and let him through. So many drivers choosing not to fight.

Ricciardo had some kind of damage or performance loss which led to him being uncompetitive in pace, Kimi went past with no issue and no real fighting either though it was a 'genuine' pass.

The thing I found really strange in the race was almost no one defended into the chicane on the backstraight, most guys stayed outside and let it go, didn't try to brake late and stay alongside or pressure the other driver they just braked early and let the other guy onto the racing line to take the corner normally. I think I saw two guys move to the inside down the straight but also didn't fight at all in the braking zone. They also for me moved very far inside leaving the outside wide. I think the key may have been plant it in the middle, if the other driver goes inside they'll have to brake early to make the turn and outside the guy on the inside will be a worry so they might not try and dive around the outside into the corner. The lack of defending throughout the race was lets say worrying for the state of F1.
^^ no no defending is dangerous, if a defending driver is detected he's told to change his driving style ^^

Zynerji

maxxer wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 05:32
dans79 wrote:

butt hurt ? Seems a clear explanation of how the media works , as they have nothing else to write about between races they will come up with stories especially paid sites like auto sport , can already see the article "Should Vettel drive less aggressive to become WDC"
Now we know the angle that a fierce competitor will use to get into MV's head and break him IF he is ever in a title fight.

Not good to expose your true thoughts like this, as it is a psychologically exploitative attack vector, and now every single driver is informed.
Last edited by Zynerji on 25 Jun 2018, 09:10, edited 2 times in total.

Vasconia

Sevach wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 20:45
Clearly Vettel's fault but he tried to avoid it just couldn't, can we move on?
Depending on the driver some people can be very reasonable or simply show their hate to this driver. Vettel did a mistake, he was blocked but he should have been more cautious. The penalty could have a 10 seconds penalty, but it was incident in the first lap, some people are overreacting.

It was a pity because on Friday Vettel showed a great race pace and I was curious to see if Hamilton was that superior with Vettel behind.

Now Sebastian and Mercedes are forced to win in Austria because Silverstone Will be a Mercedes territory. No matter who good the Ferrari chasis is, Mercedes is still superior in aerodinamic efficiency and PU.

Zynerji

F1NAC wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 20:13
dans79 wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 17:58
JonoNic wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 17:58
Hamilton commenting on 1st lap incident 🤣
It's true, penalty was complete BS.
Well he didnt complain when Max ruined seb's race... oh wait. Who benefited the most from that? What a hypocrite
The guy that ran into a world champion sitting still at the end of a closed pit lane has zero credibility to me in this context... :roll:

roon
roon

maxxer wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 05:32
dans79 wrote:

Professional keyboard-hitting has it's positives. Not too strenuous, get to sit around in the AC often, drinking coffee. Downside is your profit margins are directly linked to the frequency with which you hit the keyboard.

Hard to sell paragraphs ultimately. Competition is rough. There are so many out there for free. I just made two.

simieski
simieski

Schuttelberg wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 18:40
maxxer wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 18:11
Schuttelberg wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 18:06
The hate on the forum is strong. It was undoubtably a poor effort from Seb on the first corner but was it any different to Bottas at Baku or Spain last year? I don't remember penalties being given that day and incorrectly so. Vettel got a fair penalty today.
Your boy just loses control everytime when the pressure is on and tries to take out the whole field.
He needs to get a black flag and sit at home and watch a race maybe.
I know. The guy needs to get a grip specially considering how he performed under pressure he had on him in 2010 and 2012 in the last race.
Not positive, but I detect a hint of sarcasm. Unless I’m mistaken readjust those rose tinted glasses for Brazil 2012.

With ref to the penalty, imo did not warrant anything more severe. Have seen similar go unpunished on opening lap numerous times, was surprised to see a penalty awarded. As others have said, clipping RoGro I think was a worse offence.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.