2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
max_speed
max_speed

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

i noticed a change. mclaren was pretty sharp at the strategy end today with a bit of more luck ( mag passed alonso back after getting passed , after last safety car) alonso could have finished 7th or 6th.his pace was pretty good.one thing is for sure Renalult engine still lacks quite a lot on ferrari and mercedes.

Darth-Piekus

It seems that this year's campaign is over. We will end in 7th place I'm afraid. We should start fixing all these problems and at the same time focus on 2019.

proteus

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 17:08
It seems that this year's campaign is over. We will end in 7th place I'm afraid. We should start fixing all these problems and at the same time focus on 2019.
Fixing the problems would result in better standing than 7th.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

RonDennis
RonDennis

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Based on what? McLaren didn't bring any updates for the last three races and they certainly weren't any slower than the others cars today. New updates should be coming for Germany or Hungary.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Stuck in the train behind the Renault today, Alonso had at least half a second over the Renault every time he jumped someone and got a smidge of clear air. He could have had 6th if the qualifying pace wasn't so poor.

RonDennis
RonDennis

f1universe wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 05:58
The_table wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 21:35
I've been out of the loop for a while now (Still watch all the races but i don't follow the news.)

What is it with Alonso's teammates performing so disappointingly, does he hog up all the resources, does he actively screw them over, is he incapable of developing a car, does he demand something only he can drive?

I'm confused lads... (Please don't take this the wrong way, i like Fred but damn...)

Button did OK against Alonso, so is a mix of Alonso being too good and Stoffel maybe not as good as people thought.

It's really a shame that Alonso is going to retire with all this myths around him, he is toxic, bad car developer, he develop the car for himself, he is not a team player and so on.
Button also did OK against Hamilton. Alonso showed again how important he is for the team.

604gtir
604gtir

RonDennis wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 17:18
f1universe wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 05:58
The_table wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 21:35
I've been out of the loop for a while now (Still watch all the races but i don't follow the news.)

What is it with Alonso's teammates performing so disappointingly, does he hog up all the resources, does he actively screw them over, is he incapable of developing a car, does he demand something only he can drive?

I'm confused lads... (Please don't take this the wrong way, i like Fred but damn...)

Button did OK against Alonso, so is a mix of Alonso being too good and Stoffel maybe not as good as people thought.

It's really a shame that Alonso is going to retire with all this myths around him, he is toxic, bad car developer, he develop the car for himself, he is not a team player and so on.
Button also did OK against Hamilton. Alonso showed again how important he is for the team.
Agreed

If you want another example of how a good driver vs an average driver is worth every penny. Leclerc 13 points vs Ericcson 3 points. If Sauber somehow overtakes Toro Rosso it is worth millions to them in prize money.

Mclaren needs Alonso.
40 points vs SV's 8 points

GoranF1
GoranF1

Darth-Piekus wrote:
If they had any brain they would focus 100% on 2019
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

RonDennis
RonDennis

GoranF1 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:50
Darth-Piekus wrote:
If the problems are fixed, they will. According to someone in the MCL33 topic they now know what the problem is and the first small bits will arrive in Germany.

bauc

RonDennis wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 20:18
GoranF1 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:50
Darth-Piekus wrote:
If the problems are fixed, they will. According to someone in the MCL33 topic they now know what the problem is and the first small bits will arrive in Germany.

Mclaren are only 3 points behind 5th place, I think anything can happen in the next 10/11 races
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

The_table

IS anyone denying Fred has had new parts before Stoffel these last couple of seasons?

Again, i like Alonso (He's 100% my favorite driver), but something smells...

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

The_table wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 21:32
IS anyone denying Fred has had new parts before Stoffel these last couple of seasons?

As far as we know, there haven't been updates in a couple of races. They both had new front wings in Austria, which got damaged during FP's and qualifying. I think the cars are the same, at least they have been for a while.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Schuttelberg

Alonso as usual doing some pretty unbelievable things! We saw a race where the three best drivers in my opinion showed why they are the best! Top stuff!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 22:28
The_table wrote:

As far as we know, there haven't been updates in a couple of races. They both had new front wings in Austria, which got damaged during FP's and qualifying. I think the cars are the same, at least they have been for a while.
According to Alonso they haven't raced any new parts the last three GP's. They did test various new parts, but those weren't raceable. I sometimes also hear people talking about Alonso not being motivated, but just look at this interview. It doesn't look like a guy that's done with F1.

zoroastar
zoroastar

The_table wrote:

what would "smell" even if he did? if the team didnt have enough new parts for both drivers, should they give them to the 2 x WDC, who has thoroughly outperformed his teammate, or give them to the guy that rarely moves up from his quali spot? not to mention alonso racing with last years front wing last race. if that was the case, wouldnt stoffel have had to donate his newer wing to alonso? there are new accusations every year from people trying to explain away alonsos performance, and its getting worn out.