2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
M840TR
M840TR

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:02
Maybe Stoffel requires a new chassis

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... n-1062372/
Maybe he should hop into Alonso's car and give it a run to see the difference; in all seriousness.

Chicane
Chicane

Alonso says in the team report that the new parts are working and the car is improving. However since others are also updating their cars the gap is static. He hopes there will be bigger upgrades in the coming races.
Quickshifter

zoroastar
zoroastar

Zak Brown was quoted on Sky as saying that there is a lot wrong with the car, and turning focus to 2019 is looking better all the time (not in those exact words). i think after the updates that are already in the pipeline come out they will focus on next year.

M840TR
M840TR

BTW Alonso was 0.8 sec slower than Hulkenberg and only 0.05 sec faster than Sirotkin.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:01
Maybe Stoffel requires a new chassis
Maybe the chassis requires a new Stoffel. :mrgreen:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

zoroastar wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 19:47
Zak Brown was quoted on Sky as saying that there is a lot wrong with the car, and turning focus to 2019 is looking better all the time (not in those exact words). i think after the updates that are already in the pipeline come out they will focus on next year.
Yeah, this car is yet another letdown. Such a shame. I am amazed at Alonso's patience. He's not far away from a decade of disappointing cars, and somehow every year it keeps getting worse.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:17

Did Mclaren say it is solely aero? They said they have a correlation issue. Ivan then said it wasnt exactly correlation. This makes me think the way the car is maintaining contact with the ground isnt what they expect.

Canada for instance, they ran a particularly hard suspension.... i do.wonder if the suspension causes the car to move too much and causes the floor to stop working. This is something they might find hard to test in a wind tunnel.
Yes they did say it was soley aero.

Correlation issue is why they didn't see it in the wind tunnel.

M840TR
M840TR

Alonso doesn't sound confident about the upgrades tested. Says they work but are small as to negate any progress due to other teams' development.

Chicane
Chicane

M840TR wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 00:11
Alonso doesn't sound confident about the upgrades tested. Says they work but are small as to negate any progress due to other teams' development.
This is his quote.
“The car is getting better; the new parts are definitely improving our performance but everyone else is making small steps every race so we keep more or less the same gap with our rivals. However, we are moving in the right direction and hopefully we can bring more and bigger upgrades to the next few races.
He sounds quite positive to me.

Mclaren have not brought upgrades in the last few races but other teams were updating their rivals were updating their cars every weekend. They were solely focused on understanding their issue and have only brought something here. If they bring whatever is in the pipeline based on the learning in the last few races they should make a step. However i do think their major focus will be on next year's car after summer break.
Quickshifter

GoranF1
GoranF1

This car is suffering from late PU change decidion.
Is misssing in all areas, also it seems Honda PU as weak as it is, it provides better weight distribution and aero configuration than Renault.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Singabule
Singabule

GoranF1 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 09:20
This car is suffering from late PU change decidion.
Is misssing in all areas, also it seems Honda PU as weak as it is, it provides better weight distribution and aero configuration than Renault.
Yup, and while honda clearly the weakest PU, weight distribution, size, and plumbing is a racecraft and hugely potential. However after see ferarri engine as powerful as now, i dont think Renault and honda can match it, so size zero may the answer from start. Let see next season after MCL familiar with Renault engine.

mclaren111

Lando Norris said on Friday with Sky that work on 2019 has already started.

To what extend he could not say.

PhillipM
PhillipM

M840TR wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 00:11
They weren't supposed to go up against other teams updates, they were brought to see if they work straight away. If they did, that's good, that means the next 2 races the bigger upgrades stand a chance of letting them catch up somewhat.
Although Vandoornes downforce issue is concerning. I do wonder if they've got a cracked chassis there.

Most teams will have started 2019 preliminary work already, that's no surprise.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Also don't forget that many midfield teams will stop development of 2018 cars at some point so that may help.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:12
mwillems wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:17

Did Mclaren say it is solely aero? They said they have a correlation issue. Ivan then said it wasnt exactly correlation. This makes me think the way the car is maintaining contact with the ground isnt what they expect.

Canada for instance, they ran a particularly hard suspension.... i do.wonder if the suspension causes the car to move too much and causes the floor to stop working. This is something they might find hard to test in a wind tunnel.
Yes they did say it was soley aero.

Correlation issue is why they didn't see it in the wind tunnel.
Do you have a link to them saying it was solely aero and no other issues?

I saw them saying correlation issues, not whether the correlation issue was solely the tunnel or issues with car behaviour. The fact that Ivan R has since stated that the issues "arent exactly correlation" clearly shows there is much more we dont understand about the issues. Happy to be wrong, but i have my doubts.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.