2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

LM10 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:37

Uhm, you’re mixing it up. No one here tells that Vettel was unlucky today. So Hamilton also wasn’t unlucky in Silverstone when he had a poor start as well as he wasn’t unlucky as he caused a hydraulic problem on his car yesterday.
Correct, he wasn't unlucky to make a bad start. He was unlucky to accidentally be spun in to last place by Vettel's team mate.

Ironically, his loss of hydraulics in qualifying probably helped today because he was on a different strategy to the others up front. That's lucky.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

falonso81

Shrieker wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:28
poolboy67 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:26
LM10 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:01
What’s the official explanation on why Hamilton wasn’t penalized for an action which clearly needs to be penalized?
because "there was a safety car on track, miscommunication with the team and because his return on the track didn't cause danger to other cars"

so absolute bullshit. rules are rules damn it.
I agree with you that rules should be rules. But I can't find the penalty that's supposed to be handed out in such an infringement lol
So, you are fine with the penalty being a reprimand...aka no real penalty!
Saying something is against the rules means that if you do it you are breaking the rules. If breaking the rules means no penalty then what is the f****ing point of having rules...

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Schuttelberg wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:15
I wanted to say one more thing- I'm not one of the blind fans to not accept a fuc/< up from Seb. But, my heart sank and I was on the brink of tears when I heard his team radio. I don't know if it was the dutch fans, I certainly saw some Lewis fans jumping up and down. I can't imagine what Seb must have felt at that moment. It's okay, I get it. I actually am one of those who feels fans should be allowed to express themselves. But, I've not seen one mention of this in the media, specially the British media. I know the reaction if the shoe was on the other foot.
TBH I think that was a reaction to a great chance of a brilliant win after a brilliant drive. It was clear that Hamilton ‘had’ Raikkonen and Bottas already.

cooken
cooken

People are giving Seb an awfully hard time here. Nobody recalling part(s) of his FW broke off not too many laps before he crashed? Now, we've seen in the past many a FW failure with seemingly very little affect on performance, but surely it was a contributing factor.
Also not fair to compare his pace at that point to Kimi, who was quickly becoming a pylon on completely worn tyres.

Gosh it's so toxic in here lately, vitriol everywhere and not much capacity to keep things in perspective. Take a deep breath, look to next week and try to enjoy what may be the best season long war we've had in ages.
Last edited by cooken on 23 Jul 2018, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

Phil

I was fist pumping back in 2007 on that last race when Hamilton was desperately trying to get his car working again as he slipped further and further back. I feel kinda stupid having done that, especially considering i ended up being a fan of Lewis in 2008, but sport sometimes gets the better of us... :/
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Schuttelberg wrote:
I actually am one of those who feels fans should be allowed to express themselves. But, I've not seen one mention of this in the media, specially the British media. I know the reaction if the shoe was on the other foot.
I was at Silverstone in 96 cheering for Hill. When Michael retired, we all cheered and yah-booed the Schuie fans nearby. When Hill later retired, they returned the favour. All in good spirits. No one got aggressive etc

I must say that the web allows the more aggressive fans to vent their anger and it ruins things for all. It doesn't really happen at the track side.

As for the media - each nation's media tries to appeal to their local audience
They believe that the local audience will naturally support the local driver/team. Hence "biased" reporting. It's not surprising and can be ignored, on the whole.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

cooken wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:20
People are giving Seb an awfully hard time here. Nobody recalling part(s) of his FW broke off not too many laps before he crashed? Now, we've seen in the past many a FW failure with seemingly very little affect on performance, but surely it was a contributing factor.
Also not fair to compare his pace at that point to Kimi, who was quickly becoming a pylon on completely worn tyres.

Gosh it's so toxic in here lately, vitriol everywhere and not much capacity to keep things in perspective. Take a deep breath, look to next week and try to enjoy what may be the best season long war we've had in ages.
Bottas had fresher tyres than Vettel as well but Hamilton was still making him look like he was stood still. Sometimes it’s ok to admit somebody screwed up.

Schuttelberg

Restomaniac wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:19
Schuttelberg wrote:
I wanted to say one more thing- I'm not one of the blind fans to not accept a fuc/< up from Seb. But, my heart sank and I was on the brink of tears when I heard his team radio. I don't know if it was the dutch fans, I certainly saw some Lewis fans jumping up and down. I can't imagine what Seb must have felt at that moment. It's okay, I get it. I actually am one of those who feels fans should be allowed to express themselves. But, I've not seen one mention of this in the media, specially the British media. I know the reaction if the shoe was on the other foot.
TBH I think that was a reaction to a great chance of a brilliant win after a brilliant drive. It was clear that Hamilton ‘had’ Raikkonen and Bottas already.
You're not convincing me on that one. And you surely can't read their minds sitting on your couch? No worries like I said. I know Seb can take a punch in the guts. Let's see what happens at Monza. Lewis might win but there will be some hostility to contend with.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

bill shoe
bill shoe

poolboy67 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:26
LM10 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:01
What’s the official explanation on why Hamilton wasn’t penalized for an action which clearly needs to be penalized?
because "there was a safety car on track, miscommunication with the team and because his return on the track didn't cause danger to other cars"
iirc one of the reasons to why it's prohibited to return to the track from pit lane entry, is to hold the teams from making a fake entry in order to throw other teams off.
that besides the obvious safety reasons.
Oh sweet! The second half of this season will be fantastic and unpredictable with the FIA choosing not to enforce written rules! 2018 = best year ever!

Schuttelberg

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:23
Schuttelberg wrote:
I actually am one of those who feels fans should be allowed to express themselves. But, I've not seen one mention of this in the media, specially the British media. I know the reaction if the shoe was on the other foot.
I was at Silverstone in 96 cheering for Hill. When Michael retired, we all cheered and yah-booed the Schuie fans nearby. When Hill later retired, they returned the favour. All in good spirits. No one got aggressive etc

I must say that the web allows the more aggressive fans to vent their anger and it ruins things for all. It doesn't really happen at the track side.

As for the media - each nation's media tries to appeal to their local audience
They believe that the local audience will naturally support the local driver/team. Hence "biased" reporting. It's not surprising and can be ignored, on the whole.
Fair point. Good post.

My frustration has to do with being fed 'British coverage' for almost 25 years now. They can literally make you dislike the British drivers for no rhyme or reason.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Schuttelberg wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:25
Restomaniac wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
You're not convincing me on that one. And you surely can't read their minds sitting on your couch? No worries like I said. I know Seb can take a punch in the guts. Let's see what happens at Monza. Lewis might win but there will be some hostility to contend with.
That’s fine.
I’m expecting it in Ferrari’s own back yard, in fact the venom towards the Mercedes pair only 12 months ago was all too obvious.

Schuttelberg

Restomaniac wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:28
Schuttelberg wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
That’s fine.
I’m expecting it in Ferrari’s own back yard, in fact the venom towards the Mercedes pair only 12 months ago was all too obvious.
Yeah and it clearly got to Lewis. He can call them the best fans and passion and blessed and all that. He will get some heat and he usually doesn't like it when people don't warm up to him!

Schuttelberg

Are there some old bozos here like me who were mental Schumacher fans? Today feels a lot like Spa 1998 and I feel totally miserable!

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Schuttelberg wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:30
Restomaniac wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:28
Schuttelberg wrote:

That’s fine.
Yeah and it clearly got to Lewis. He can call them the best fans and passion and blessed and all that. He will get some heat and he usually doesn't like it when people don't warm up to him!
Agreed.

It should be fun though.

It’s a track Hamilton (4 wins) and Vettel (3 wins) both like a whole lot.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Laps before Seb's slide in to the gravel.

Vettel
45 1:19.251
46 1:20.700
47 1:19.382
48 1:19.133
49 1:20.281
50 1:23.376
51 1:29.270

Hamilton
45 1:17.251
46 1:19.386
47 1:16.957
48 1:17.792
49 1:18.899
50 1:21.122
51 1:29.258

Hamilton was eating in to Vettel's advantage. If Vettel was aware of that, it might have caused him to push too hard on the tyres he was on. The only one who knows is Seb and he isn't saying.