2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Bill_Kar wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 03:43
Zynerji wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 03:14
Great drive by Hamilton.

No penalty for Hamilton's pit infringement delegitimizes the FIA, race stewards, and F1 as a whole.

It's literally professional wrestling now, not a technical sport.

Makes me want to vomit. Especially with previous infractions and Whiting directives/ threats. The justification contortions are literally awful... To say they didn't penalize BECAUSE OF THE SAFETY CAR made it less dangerous is utterly stupefying. If anything, all infractions under the safety car should come with DOUBLE penalties.

I can't watch anymore...
I'm tired of people whining and threatening like that.

So, just stop watching. You won't be missed, frankly.
I agree. I won't be missed.

Continuing to play favorites on penalties to manipulate the championship outcome comes with much larger consequences however, namely losing millions of fans, sponsors, and possibly teams with the new concorde about to be signed.

It's ok for you to keep your head in the sand, as long as your favorite driver benefits from these manipulations.
Last edited by Zynerji on 23 Jul 2018, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

Dazed1
Dazed1

falonso81 wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:18
Shrieker wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:28
poolboy67 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:26

because "there was a safety car on track, miscommunication with the team and because his return on the track didn't cause danger to other cars"

so absolute bullshit. rules are rules damn it.
I agree with you that rules should be rules. But I can't find the penalty that's supposed to be handed out in such an infringement lol
So, you are fine with the penalty being a reprimand...aka no real penalty!
Saying something is against the rules means that if you do it you are breaking the rules. If breaking the rules means no penalty then what is the f****ing point of having rules...
The point of having this rule is safety. That was a major consideration in their decision. Since no one was in front of, behind, beside or endangered by the infraction they felt they could not justify spoiling an excellent drive by punishing a driver who was given conflicting orders by his team in rapid fire order. I am a big Hamilton fan, but even so I think the decision was fair.
Also, the pit stop rules under a safety car are a cluster fnck. ;)

Zynerji

Dazed1 wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 03:48
falonso81 wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:18
Shrieker wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:28

I agree with you that rules should be rules. But I can't find the penalty that's supposed to be handed out in such an infringement lol
So, you are fine with the penalty being a reprimand...aka no real penalty!
Saying something is against the rules means that if you do it you are breaking the rules. If breaking the rules means no penalty then what is the f****ing point of having rules...
The point of having this rule is safety. That was a major consideration in their decision. Since no one was in front of, behind, beside or endangered by the infraction they felt they could not justify spoiling an excellent drive by punishing a driver who was given conflicting orders by his team in rapid fire order. I am a big Hamilton fan, but even so I think the decision was fair.
Also, the pit stop rules under a safety car are a cluster fnck. ;)
The entire point of having a safety car on track is because inherent unsafe conditions exist. Penalties for driver infractions should have increased penalties. Like speeding in a construction zone in the US doubles the fine, even if no workers are present.

Shrieker

Restomaniac wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:32
Shrieker wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:30
LionKing wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:27

Do they specify the penalties for speeding in the pit lane? Dangerous release, etc?

There are at least 2 recent precedents with the same offense where Kimi and Wehrlein were both given 5 sec penalties.
Wasn't Wehrlein's penalty given because he skipped the bollard and entered the pits ? And you damn well know Kimi's penalty was in Baku, where there was a track specific ruling regarding the pit entry... They are in no shape or form precedents for what happened today... Apples and oranges.
In much the same way as there were no precedents for intentionally swerving into another car behind the safety car.
Wow... You took apples and oranges to another level it seems...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shrieker

LionKing wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:31
Shrieker wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:30
Wasn't Wehrlein's penalty given because he skipped the bollard and entered the pits ? And you damn well know Kimi's penalty was in Baku, where there was a specific ruling regarding the pit entry... They are in no shape or form precedents for what happened today... Apples and oranges.
They both broke the same rule. How did they give Kimi 5 sec? By your logic, where was the penalty specified?
See this:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27463&p=781745&hilit=notes#p781745

And remember what had I told you previously. Had Raikkonen not barged into Hamilton in his home race just a fortnight ago, I suspect Hamilton would've been handed out a 5 sec penalty and hence demoted to 2nd.

Unfortunately this is how the current 'rules system' works, and neither Hamilton nor Mercedes are the sole beneficiaries of this. This needs to change, but remember F1 is first and foremost a rich man's game. The ideals of peasants like you and me sit lower on the priority list. Much like in politics.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Zynerji wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 03:46
Bill_Kar wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 03:43
Zynerji wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 03:14
Great drive by Hamilton.

No penalty for Hamilton's pit infringement delegitimizes the FIA, race stewards, and F1 as a whole.

It's literally professional wrestling now, not a technical sport.

Makes me want to vomit. Especially with previous infractions and Whiting directives/ threats. The justification contortions are literally awful... To say they didn't penalize BECAUSE OF THE SAFETY CAR made it less dangerous is utterly stupefying. If anything, all infractions under the safety car should come with DOUBLE penalties.

I can't watch anymore...
I'm tired of people whining and threatening like that.

So, just stop watching. You won't be missed, frankly.
I agree. I won't be missed.

Continuing to play favorites on penalties to manipulate the championship outcome comes with much larger consequences however, namely losing millions of fans, sponsors, and possibly teams with the new concorde about to be signed.

It's ok for you to keep your head in the sand, as long as your favorite driver benefits from these manipulations.

FIA is not favoring Lewis.

LionKing
LionKing

foxmulder_ms wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 04:55
They have pretty much doing that blatantly lately.

Mexico 2016 when he didn't bother taking the first corner and went straight. Nothing happened :)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... /93034052/

Silverstone quali last year. Steward's solution come up with this "Effected but not impeded" BS.

What happened today was farcical. Yesterday he created a safety hazard during quali for himself and the track workers by pushing the car during live quali. As usual nothing happened

Bottas started the jump last year in which his car was moving before the red lights but they came up with another 0.201 reaction time BS.

Gibbs
Gibbs

On one hand I'm glad a great drive was honoured and the FIA weren't over enforcing rules at the deficit of racing, though on the other I can't quite believe that they didn't get a penalty due to how strictly the FIA have been enforcing rules as of late. I'm hoping the FIA continues with this 'safe but disorderly' philosophy and we don't see another situation like this later in the season where a driver receives a penalty for loosely breaching the rules in a safe manor.

Can't help but feel that point (i) of the stewards decision statement is a very flimsy argument and reads like they would be wrongly penalising a singular person for a teams wrongdoing. The driver is as much a part of the team as an engineer in making crucial decisions and vice versa.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

Moose wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 03:44
cooken wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:49
Well true enough on that, but Bottas on S vs Ham on US an on damp track, that's to be expected even without considering Hams skill in wet. Tyre temp I reckon certainly was playing a factor and not surprising Seb had better pace than Bot given Ferraris characteristics there.
Eh? I'm not sure I get you. The Mercedes tends to keep its tyres warmer than the Ferrari as far as I can tell.

Points that back up this view point:
  • At the circuits with the thinner tyre treads, Mercedes have had an advantage - it's harder to get heat into the thinner treads because they move around less. Mercedes putting more heat into their tyres makes them work better
  • Mercedes had an advantage for the whole weekend at Austria until race day, that advantage reversed on race day, suggesting that in P1/2/3/Q Ferrari struggled to warm the tyres, while at the race, Mercedes struggled to cool them.
  • Mercedes have historically been (and still are) better on harder tyres than on softer. They get less of an advantage from softer rubber than Ferrari does. The softer tyres have both a lower operating window, and move around on, making them easier to heat up. Keeping the tyres warmer explains this.
  • Mercedes do poorly in Singapore - a circuit that has the perfect storm of lots of braking (raising brake and tyre temps), soft rubber, and high track temperatures.
  • You often see Ferrari taking 2 hot laps in qualifying, while Mercedes only take one, suggesting that the Mercedes gets temperature into the tyres fast, while the Ferrari needs a lap to build up the temperature.
I think a cooler track actually favoured the Mercedes. That, plus Hamilton having the better tyres for the cooling track, plus Hamilton being a rain master added up to Hamilton being multiple seconds a lap faster.
Ferrari heat up tires more.

Hamilton was cruising out front till Bottas failure, the tactical mistake not to pit him meant he went from a comfortable 1st to an uncomfortable, I forget, 4th or 5th. Where Vettel/Kimi came out of the pits and didn't push but cruised to warm the tires up slowly, Hamilton came out with Vettel right behind in already slowly warmed up tires meaning to not lose position Hamilton had to step on the gas, he was also trying to chase to get back to 1st. If he settled for 4th right then and cruised his tires would have been fine to the end.

Notice Verstappen and Ricciardo, Verstappen was comfortable and cruising, Ricciardo pushed to catch him (verstappen had no one to catch), in doing that the same cars had completely different types of tire life.

Hamilton also talked about lacking power soon after his pitstop. Before issues Ham/Bottas were extremely comfortable leading and faster than everyone else. If Ham pits and comes out in 1st, cruising and not pushing tires, he goes to the end with no blisters (ignoring car failure).

NOthing reversed in the race. In every situation faster tire warm up helps Ferrari do great, in conditions where too much tire warm up hurts, Ferrari suffer, only in situations as the above where strategy ruined Merc ability to control tires the same way as others in the race has their tire wear been a problem.
This isn't new either, Singapore and Mexico in particular last year Ferrari and Max did great with tire warm up, Merc's couldn't get the tires warm and Ricciardo struggled as did most of the rest of the grid. In Singapore Merc struggled again. Even back in 2015 Ferrari had this car trait and did great in Singapore again then.

Ferrari struggled with overheating tires in Spain as did RBR to a lesser degree, the reason they went on the harder compound was the softer compound was running out of grip due to overheating within a lap. It was actually borderline for RBR where taking it a bit easier on the softest tire and pushing harder on the harder tire gave almost the same result. With Ferrari they couldn't get the tire to stick the whole lap.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

LionKing wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 05:21
foxmulder_ms wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 04:55
They have pretty much doing that blatantly lately.

Mexico 2016 when he didn't bother taking the first corner and went straight. Nothing happened :)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... /93034052/

Silverstone quali last year. Steward's solution come up with this "Effected but not impeded" BS.

What happened today was farcical. Yesterday he created a safety hazard during quali for himself and the track workers by pushing the car during live quali. As usual nothing happened

Bottas started the jump last year in which his car was moving before the red lights but they came up with another 0.201 reaction time BS.
Give over. First off Silverstone last year if that's the Grosjean thing, he was starting a hot lap, he was close and it was strange but due to the angle he took he was much faster than Grosjean through the corners and didn't slow Grosjean down. The team should have made him a better gap and started the lap sooner but he was actually on the same piece of track on a hot lap going faster. blocking is being slower while on the racing line and causing the other driver to avoid or slow down, neither of which had to happen hence no penalty.

Vettel got a penalty because on a slow lap he stayed on the racing line and to avoid an accident another car had to swerve off track.

Mexico he clear as day locked up, he went off from first place, came back on and immediately backed off to let Rosberg catch him, it would also have been immensely dangerous for him to turn back onto the track on the exit of turn 1 right into the entire freaking pack, insanely dangerous.

As for yesterday, his car was on track, double yellows had to be out. IF he wasn't on track double yellows would have been out and the marshals would have had to push his car to the exact same point to get the car off the track so literally nothing happened at all. Cars couldn't and shouldn't have been speeding down there and marshals had to be there regardless.

Again as someone came up with there have been 22 pit safety line crossings incidents apparently between 2011 and up to this one. The only 4 that got time penalties were the ones highlighted in the event notes. For Hamilton to have gotten a penalty today would have to entirely break the president of only giving time penalties in races with an unsafe pit entry where it was highlighted to the drivers before the race.

TAG

How many reprimands did Vettel get last year? I recall a race where he hit another driver in the post race cool down lap... I don't even thing he got a reprimand. Chill out guys, it all evens out in the end.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Cannonballer
Cannonballer

zibby43 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 07:23
Ringleheim wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 05:27
zibby43 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:03

Yep, those pesky Mercedes and Renault engineers fabricating GPS data again. :lol:

Would explain why a Sauber and the 2 Haas cars are week-in, week-out top 10 cars now.
Yes, the Ferrari engine is the new Mercedes. The huge domination Merc has enjoyed since the advent of this formula is now finished.

Not sure if the Ferrari has come on strong of late or Mercedes slipped back a bit, but I am now convinced the Ferrari is straight up the faster car right now and its engine straight up the most powerful.

As things stand at the moment, it's Vettel's championship to lose.

Seeing as I love Ferrari and hate Lewis Hamilton specifically, this is a wonderful development!

:lol:
Oh man I hope you just didn't dial up a Seb DNF. That's all it takes to throw the championship right back open.

Bottas is going to be out gunning for some revenge today.
Indeed he did!
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

I still don't understand how Hamilton didn't get a penalty for making up his own track when he ignored his engineer about to pit. Seriously.

Was cool seeing Leclerc do a 360 and keep going, though.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Nathanael F1 wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 07:04
I still don't understand how Hamilton didn't get a penalty for making up his own track when he ignored his engineer about to pit. Seriously.

Was cool seeing Leclerc do a 360 and keep going, though.
Do you seriously think Ham deserved his win taken back for what he did? Reprimand is quite adequate in my opinion. Remember this is an F1 where "headbutting" your title opponent behind safety car is penalized by 10 sec.

Shrieker

Regarding Vettel's retirement. I don't think it has much to do with skill in the wet. Maybe Hamilton's better in the wet (maybe), but remember what happened in China 2007. It's so easy to slide off of a freshly wet track on very worn slicks.
-Atatürk