2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sierra117

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

I'm having a really tough time understanding how this trophy design got the "yes" :oops:

NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Vasconia wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 08:29
MtthsMlw wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 19:57
Let's talk about TR putting Gasly on full wets as it was only wet in the hairpin and then changing him back on slicks shortly before the rain started to get heavier.
That was the dumbest move of the day. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It was a gamble. If the rain had got worse, he'd have been 10-20+ seconds a lap quicker than anyone else around him and less prone to sticking it in the barriers too. If it had paid off, we'd be saying "great work by TR". It didn't pay off this time.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Yurasyk
Yurasyk

Fulcrum wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 09:36

As I've commented already, I think Ferrari should shoulder some of the blame for this situation. My reasons being:
  • They should have let Vettel past Raikkonen 3 or 4 laps earlier.
  • Vettel would have been a further 2-3 seconds up the road of Bottas.
  • They committed Raikkonen to a 2 stop, but didn't follow through with it in an optimal manner.
  • They should have brought Raikkonen in 1 lap after Hamilton, putting him onto Ultras.
  • Raikkonen would have covered off Hamilton, and begun to put pressure on Bottas from behind.
  • Ferrari would have had the luxury of the lead, and their 2nd driver on the fastest tyres.
  • Ferrari as a team would have been optimally placed to win across a wider range of circumstances, and Vettel himself would have been under less intense pressure at the end, as Kimi could have acted as a barrier to Hamilton, much like Bottas was to Raikkonen.
  • And in the event of absolutely 'desperate circumstances, Raikkonen could have secured the win to prevent Hamilton doing so.
By focusing with myopic intensity on their lead driver's strategy, to the absolute detriment of #2 and the team overall, they inadvertently put Vettel under more pressure.
Completely agree. Everything went wrong from the point after Seb's pit stop, when they should simply say "He is on a different strategy, let him pass" to Kimi. #-o

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Nathanael F1 wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 09:43
Diesel wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 09:33
Nathanael F1 wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 07:04
I still don't understand how Hamilton didn't get a penalty for making up his own track when he ignored his engineer about to pit. Seriously.
Isn't this what happens at nearly half the tracks on the calendar when drivers enter the pit entry and exit it because it's on the racing line?

No other team lodged a protest, the FIA investigated this themselves, and nobody has protested the result. That probably tells you that the rest of the F1 community doesn't agree with the vast majority of people on this forum.
You didn't read my later comment?
I guess the key difference there was the potential for a massive accident in Baku. I don't disagree that the penalties are a complete mess, you could easily go back and find various examples of no penalty where there should have been done, or a harsh penalty when perhaps there shouldn't have been one. It's always been this way, and always will be.

The key point here IMO is no other team lodged a protest before or after the investigation.

zac510
zac510

I was surprised VET didn't try and reverse out of the gravel as it seemed he'd only knocked the nose off, but maybe he knew the steering was broken.

zac510
zac510

Sierra117 wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 10:16
I'm having a really tough time understanding how this trophy design got the "yes" :oops:

https://i.imgur.com/VD0PU4s.png
It looks a bit unusual, but also a refreshing change from many boring trophies of the sponsor's logo. Most trophies are pretty forgettable.

Vasconia

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 10:19
Vasconia wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 08:29
MtthsMlw wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 19:57
Let's talk about TR putting Gasly on full wets as it was only wet in the hairpin and then changing him back on slicks shortly before the rain started to get heavier.
That was the dumbest move of the day. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It was a gamble. If the rain had got worse, he'd have been 10-20+ seconds a lap quicker than anyone else around him and less prone to sticking it in the barriers too. If it had paid off, we'd be saying "great work by TR". It didn't pay off this time.
It was to risky because no one was expecting so much rain in all the track. And you really need a lot of rain to make those tyres work. Even the intermediate ones were a risky move because it was expected rain only on certain parts of the track.

Sierra117

zac510 wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 10:52
Sierra117 wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 10:16

https://i.imgur.com/VD0PU4s.png
It looks a bit unusual, but also a refreshing change from many boring trophies of the sponsor's logo. Most trophies are pretty forgettable.
I prefer the gorilla. At least it had some aesthetic to it, or some sort of symbolism. This one looks like some word art from the 90s :lol:

I couldn't resist some millennial humour XD
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

MtthsMlw

Picture of Vettel's broken FW.

iotar__

"Hamilton would have been given same order as Bottas"

No he would not have, drivers are treated differently at Mercedes. I prefer reality to press relaeses "would haves" , pro Hamilton TO:
- Rosberg '13? do not overtake TO
- Hungary '14? lack of to, lost win because of that
- Monaco Roserg - proof of Wolff's lies plus team orders against world champion
- Bahrain x1 '17
- Bahrain x 2 '17
- Hungary '17
- Germany '18

You can add not really hidden TO like leaving Bottas in sitting duck position in GB or some great strategy like "save fuel to attack on the last laps" :wtf: if you want. TO in favour of Hamilton's team-mates:
- 0 But they would if...

They lied about team orders in the past (Hungary '14 - we would not compromise driver's championship chances yet they did it in Monaco) they lie about it now. Dishonest journos kept cackling about "Fernando is faster than you" for years and yet this is pure, "let them race" motorsport? Sod this cheap circus :D .

ClarkBT11

Ringleheim wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 05:27
zibby43 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:03
marvin78 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 21:57
There are so many factors which could influence the mentioned data that this talk must be BS.
Yep, those pesky Mercedes and Renault engineers fabricating GPS data again. :lol:

Would explain why a Sauber and the 2 Haas cars are week-in, week-out top 10 cars now.
Yes, the Ferrari engine is the new Mercedes. The huge domination Merc has enjoyed since the advent of this formula is now finished.

Not sure if the Ferrari has come on strong of late or Mercedes slipped back a bit, but I am now convinced the Ferrari is straight up the faster car right now and its engine straight up the most powerful.

As things stand at the moment, it's Vettel's championship to lose.

Seeing as I love Ferrari and hate Lewis Hamilton specifically, this is a wonderful development!

:lol:
How's that development going for you now?

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 09:32
Andres125sx wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 09:29

Crashing intentionally with an opponent,
It got Schumacher excluded from the championship back in '97...
How a stewarts decision from more than two decades ago should affect a decision today?

It's like that argument from some people claiming there was previous unfair decisions in the past so a fair decision today is actually unfair #-o

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

How a stewarts decision from more than two decades ago should affect a decision today?

It's like that argument from some people claiming there was previous unfair decisions in the past so a fair decision today is actually unfair #-o

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Andres125sx wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 12:10
Just_a_fan wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

I was just pointing out that Vettel might have been treated more harshly back in the day.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

turbof1

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 13:07
Andres125sx wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 12:10
Just_a_fan wrote:

I was just pointing out that Vettel might have been treated more harshly back in the day.
Aren't the events we are discussing now either "back in the day?". It has been more than a year ago, and it's not relevant to any events of the German Grand Prix.

I have to say: costly mistake by Vettel. Not that his job was easy. Hamilton was basically on the correct tyre regarding driving dry tyres in semi wet conditions and would probably have closed in to Vettel probably if Vettel did not crash.
#AeroFrodo