2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
cooken
cooken

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

I dunno, both Kimi (no damage) and Seb were destroying the softs. I think it would've been real close either way. Ferrari might have come out on top, but definitely not a slam dunk.

Their strategy may indeed cost them both titles in the end, but currently Vettel is making that a moot point with his own blunders.

MtthsMlw

So it looks like Grosjean will be disqualified..

Juzh

cooken wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 21:11
I dunno, both Kimi (no damage) and Seb were destroying the softs. I think it would've been real close either way. Ferrari might have come out on top, but definitely not a slam dunk.
With rai second (or maybe even hamilton), vettel would open an advantage big enough to avoid undercuts, which would then at least put both vettel and hamilton on an equal footing with tires, without the 8 lap offset. ok, not slam dunk, but certainly much better position.

MtthsMlw

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

DVB wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 20:39
Is it me, or did the Ferrari looked to have problem's accelerating out of slow corners?

Btw, good theory Sieper!
Honestly, seems like too much power. Early on they just seemed to have more power than their traction could handle as the back end seemed to slide out as they put the power down as opposed to mid corner/etc.

Later in the race Kimi's rear tires were cooked and his speed out of corners went to hell.

On Siepers theory. Pushing someone off track and someone staying legally on track are different things. The track is defined as between the two white lines. You can go over this but you need to keep two wheels inside the white line. That is if someone goes out, the legality part of the rules is you must keep one side of the car 'on track', inside the white lines. The track is very much defined as between the white lines, not on the tarmac at all. Pushing someone off track is an entirely different situation to going wide but sticking with the limits of the rules.

Verstappen defended hard, he was a few inches out of leaving the space required and it wasn't the worst mistake in the world but at some point the smaller mistakes have to get cut out. Bottas was coming in late and fast, it was very unlikely that if he took the corner fairly sharply that Bottas would have been able to get around the outside.

The team screwed up though, he lost a lot of time defending against Bottas even after that when he was losing the position anyway. The faster car was stuck behind, let him through, stop defending and use Bottas's faster cars tow to try to stay 5 seconds ahead of Vettel. In fact had the team told him to let him through immediately the stewards may not have penalised him. Even if he gives up 4th to Vettel, he was risking Bottas and him not finishing which would have cost him even worse.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Has anyone tried F1 TV?
It doesn't seem like they stream live races for UK viewers.

MtthsMlw

GrandAxe wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 21:42
Has anyone tried F1 TV?
It's great. Sky has the exclusive rights for the UK for many years.

Sieper

MtthsMlw wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 21:16
Yes, apparently, but how come then not KMAG as well, do they drive different cars / have different Floors/mirrors? And If so, did Grosjean get the newer Floor/mirror earlier? But steiner said he feels KMAG is the more complete driver? Or did they just put a illegal combination of parts on there (on the one car) and did Renault (with the battle for 4th) spot the opportunity to protest (eagle eyed).

MtthsMlw

Sieper wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 21:51
MtthsMlw wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 21:16
Yes, apparently, but how come then not KMAG as well, do they drive different cars / have different Floors/mirrors? And If so, did Grosjean get the newer Floor/mirror earlier? But steiner said he feels KMAG is the more complete driver? Or did they just put a illegal combination of parts on there (on the one car) and did Renault (with the battle for 4th) spot the opportunity to protest (eagle eyed).
Magnussen wasn't in the points so it wasn't worth the effort to also appeal against him.

DVB

drunkf1fan wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 21:40
DVB wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 20:39
Is it me, or did the Ferrari looked to have problem's accelerating out of slow corners?

Btw, good theory Sieper!
Honestly, seems like too much power. Early on they just seemed to have more power than their traction could handle as the back end seemed to slide out as they put the power down as opposed to mid corner/etc.

Later in the race Kimi's rear tires were cooked and his speed out of corners went to hell.

On Siepers theory. Pushing someone off track and someone staying legally on track are different things. The track is defined as between the two white lines. You can go over this but you need to keep two wheels inside the white line. That is if someone goes out, the legality part of the rules is you must keep one side of the car 'on track', inside the white lines. The track is very much defined as between the white lines, not on the tarmac at all. Pushing someone off track is an entirely different situation to going wide but sticking with the limits of the rules.

Verstappen defended hard, he was a few inches out of leaving the space required and it wasn't the worst mistake in the world but at some point the smaller mistakes have to get cut out. Bottas was coming in late and fast, it was very unlikely that if he took the corner fairly sharply that Bottas would have been able to get around the outside.

The team screwed up though, he lost a lot of time defending against Bottas even after that when he was losing the position anyway. The faster car was stuck behind, let him through, stop defending and use Bottas's faster cars tow to try to stay 5 seconds ahead of Vettel. In fact had the team told him to let him through immediately the stewards may not have penalised him. Even if he gives up 4th to Vettel, he was risking Bottas and him not finishing which would have cost him even worse.
Great start of the answer with Honestly... Can't keep it out of my mind, every time I read it, I must think of Vettel saying that :P

And about Sieper, it was about the harvesting on the electrical part of the engine. As for the reason the difference between Merc and Fer was less on Monza then Spa.

Shame for Grosjean. Just take 25 points of the constructor instead of punishing a driver.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

MtthsMlw wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 21:44
GrandAxe wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 21:42
Has anyone tried F1 TV?
It's great. Sky has the exclusive rights for the UK for many years.
Thanks. Its sad to be stuck, I imagine the commentary and data access would put it miles ahead of Sky

Edax
Edax

cooken wrote:

Their strategy may indeed cost them both titles in the end, but currently Vettel is making that a moot point with his own blunders.
I think them destroying their tires is a consequence of the position they were in. It would not surprise me if Ferrari went marginal on brake cooling and wing expecting them running in clean air. Raikkonen destroyed his tires (front and back) when running behind Bottas, but when he Bottas pitted they seemed to stabilise again. I think a combination of a bit too much sliding and too high brake temps when following other cars could explain it.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Edax wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 22:22
cooken wrote:

I think them destroying their tires is a consequence of the position they were in. It would not surprise me if Ferrari went marginal on brake cooling and wing expecting them running in clean air. Raikkonen destroyed his tires (front and back) when running behind Bottas, but when he Bottas pitted they seemed to stabilise again. I think a combination of a bit too much sliding and too high brake temps when following other cars could explain it.
Erm.......Raikkonen’s first set were showing major wear and he was sat out front. In fact Hamilton’s tyres were in better nick in Raikkonen’s dirty air.

Jolle
Jolle

Edax wrote:
cooken wrote:

Hmmm, they had to set up the car after FP3. By that time the planning would have been that Kimi would race in Seb's dirty air.

Edax
Edax

Restomaniac wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 22:25
Edax wrote:
cooken wrote:

Erm.......Raikkonen’s first set were showing major wear and he was sat out front. In fact Hamilton’s tyres were in better nick in Raikkonen’s dirty air.
I could be mistaken, but I thought Rai first set was relatively OK, it was his second set which showed severe blistering within a few laps.