2018 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 14-16 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: 2018 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 14-16 September

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 19:44
Phil wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 15:38
Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 15:29
Vettel being helped by Bottas not being able to put him under pressure. Vettel will be on the canvas at the end on these tyres.
What happened to Bottas? He was 3 seconds behind Vettel at some point, now it’s 6? Backmarkers?
Bottas was poor this weekend, he should have been all over Vettel who had to nurse his tires to the end
Ocon to Merc for 2019... Merc buys out Bottas like Ferrari did with Raikkonen at the end of 2009.

If Toto had to write a big check to get Ocon on the 2019 grid, that's the check I'd write.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
Phil wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 15:29
Vettel being helped by Bottas not being able to put him under pressure. Vettel will be on the canvas at the end on these tyres.
What happened to Bottas? He was 3 seconds behind Vettel at some point, now it’s 6? Backmarkers?
Bottas was poor this weekend, he should have been all over Vettel who had to nurse his tires to the end
Bottas lost a lot of respect from me because of his cry behind Hulk. What did he expect, lol.

Jolle
Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 20:02
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
Phil wrote:

Ocon to Merc for 2019... Merc buys out Bottas like Ferrari did with Raikkonen at the end of 2009.

If Toto had to write a big check to get Ocon on the 2019 grid, that's the check I'd write.
Nah, that would be following RedBull and Ferrari in promoting their youngsters into a position where you don't want them yet, pushing against the establishment. Gasly and Leclerc want to prove themselves next year and will cause headache for Vettel and Verstappen. Bottas will not. Just in being Bottas, Hamilton is already 20+ points up!

Sierra117

GrandAxe wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 18:07
Sierra117 wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 18:04
GrandAxe wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 17:56
Vettel seems to be blaming Ferrari rather a lot these day's. Its not nice to see.
Maybe the marriage is crumbling with Leclerc coming.
Man, for me, when Arrivabene rebuked Vettel during quali ... that set off alarm bells in my head. A driver's focus goes to hell if your team boss says something so cold on live TV. Compare that to the relationship between Toto and Lewis, even during the 2016 season. I think the strongest word from Toto was when Nico and Hamilton came together - "mindless".
Really! I missed that, what did Arrivabene say?
He was asked about how Vettel said he prefers Kimi because he's worked with him for a long time and whether that makes a difference to the choice regarding Charles. Arrivabene said no Sebastian is a driver and not the team principal. Now if you just read it, seems all fine and dandy. But the way he said it, his facial expression, the delivery, the tone of voice and, if I remember correctly, a slight scoff of disbelief, it was a really soul crushing thing to hear, as if he had zero respect for Vettel. Maybe I'm exaggerating but when I heard it live I was like Holy ... that hurts.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Phil

Zynerji wrote:

Assuming Ocon is actually better than Bottas, why in gods name would they do that? Hamilton is performing at the best of his career (it seems), they're leading both championships with an arguably inferior car (just about), why would they need a better driver in seat number 2?

And that's all based on the presumption that Ocon is the real-deal, which I'm not convinced of. I think Bottas deserved more than enough to warrant his drive next year even if he had a few weak few drives lately. And they only need the next star ready when/if Hamilton retires. Assuming Bottas doesn't cut it next year, Ocon in 2020 might be great to have them side-by-side to re-evaluate Hamilton's contract extension beyond 2020 if it happens.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

wesley123
wesley123

atanatizante wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 18:39
Lewis doing mind games with Vettel/Ferrari. Just after 2 laps when he reported issues with HS tyres Vettel went into the pits trying to do a undercut. There was a big bogus from Lewis bearing in mind Ricci was doing 27 laps on those tyres with no issue whatsoever ...
I'm not sure if that was based on the board radio, or was just their strategy. The board radio 'I don't believe him' was rather weird in that regard.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

nzjrs

wesley123 wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 20:33
atanatizante wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 18:39
Lewis doing mind games with Vettel/Ferrari. Just after 2 laps when he reported issues with HS tyres Vettel went into the pits trying to do a undercut. There was a big bogus from Lewis bearing in mind Ricci was doing 27 laps on those tyres with no issue whatsoever ...
I'm not sure if that was based on the board radio, or was just their strategy. The board radio 'I don't believe him' was rather weird in that regard.
Vettel's race engineer misunderstood hamilton's message.

Hamilton said the 'tires are fine', Vettel's engineer heard 'the tires are not fine' and told Vettel, to which Vettel said 'I dont believe him' (which incidentally means he shared Hamiltons impression of the tires / could see Hamiltons car driving, and understood correctly the tires were in fact OK)

F1NAC

Charlie what about dangerous driving? Not in the case of Perez?

PlatinumZealot

Sierra117 wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 20:26

He was asked about how Vettel said he prefers Kimi because he's worked with him for a long time and whether that makes a difference to the choice regarding Charles. Arrivabene said no Sebastian is a driver and not the team principal. Now if you just read it, seems all fine and dandy. But the way he said it, his facial expression, the delivery, the tone of voice and, if I remember correctly, a slight scoff of disbelief, it was a really soul crushing thing to hear, as if he had zero respect for Vettel. Maybe I'm exaggerating but when I heard it live I was like Holy ... that hurts.
I notice of late that Vettel has started to try the leading from the cockpit the same way that Alonso did. Naturally, Vettel just like Alonso, will learn that today's Ferrari is not like Schumacher's Ferrari.
Ever since Marchinonne got more involved in the running of the F1 team the driver is just another employee; and so every time Vettel boldly criticizes the team in public it is NOT taken lightly by the Ferrari leadership.Vettel is threading a fine line and he needs to focus on stopping HIS mistakes first before he looks at the team.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

maxxer
maxxer

So far these penalty points have not worked , just black flag them and then the juniors will get a change.
For next race Perez, Grosjean, and Sirotkin will stay home.

ispano6

wish Martin Bundle could be replaced! Tired of him saying "for good measure". It's so annoying that anyone I hear say it just sounds like a fool with no vocabulary. If you've got nothing to say don't say anything. His commentating is so stale and irrelevant, I'd rather just listen to pit and driver radio.

strad

Other than a couple a a**hole drivers showing what jerks they are (Perez and Sirodkin) it was absolutely the worst of a crappy season that showed how the stupid aero and having to conserve tires ruins the racing. Oh yeah the blue flag crap too.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ringo

Bottas was not as bad as he is being made out to be. Mercedes got more points than ferrari today. Good job by Bottas.
Compared to Hamilton it seemed he was mediocre, but i soon realized he simply could not go any faster. Same for Kimi, and even Ricciardo who was going really fast near the end, couldn't make inroads on Kimi.
For Sure!!

zibby43
zibby43

foxmulder_ms wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 20:11
Bottas lost a lot of respect from me because of his cry behind Hulk. What did he expect, lol.
That's being a bit hard on Bottas there, don't you think? That said, you are 100% entitled to your opinion.

I think a lot of us here are guilty of making harsh, snap judgments about drivers based off of one weekend. Heck, sometimes we do it based on one moment.

Regarding the comments about Ocon replacing Bottas - way too early to make that pronouncement. Bottas was on incredibly strong form at the beginning of the season. He was more consistent than Hamilton at the time.

Ocon is solid, but not necessarily spectacular. George Russell is the Merc driver that is always forgotten. He's outperforming Lando this year.

djos

Zynerji wrote:
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
Phil wrote:

It'd be money well spent too, Bottas is just so bloody ordinary! #-o
"In downforce we trust"