2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godsire
godsire

Re: 2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Sierra117 wrote:
25 May 2018, 12:30
Here's what I've suggested for black text to stand out more.

https://twitter.com/ammaartdesigns/stat ... 8570279936
They took your suggestions! Although flipped the colours.

Sierra117

godsire wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 21:40
Sierra117 wrote:
25 May 2018, 12:30
Here's what I've suggested for black text to stand out more.

https://twitter.com/ammaartdesigns/stat ... 8570279936
They took your suggestions! Although flipped the colours.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5C3B307C
Aww yiss! I would have suggested white text with black border too but at the time I believe they were looking to incorporate the black text somehow.

Now if only they'd take me 😂😂
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

zibby43
zibby43

nevill3

Thanks for the video, this should also be posted on the race thread too.

It answers and debunks many of the puerile posts that infest that thread :twisted:
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

zibby43
zibby43

nevill3 wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 22:20
Thanks for the video, this should also be posted on the race thread too.

It answers and debunks many of the puerile posts that infest that thread :twisted:
My pleasure! I'm grateful that Merc takes the time to create and share these.

They're not afraid to take on some of the "tougher" questions.

roon
roon

This is about the time of the season Mercedes should start walking away with the championship. It's been an entertaining year to watch. Either Ferrari really were more competitive, or Merc just keep getting better at sandbagging with each season. If the latter, I should think that a dominate team is challenged not by other teams, but by managing perceptions.

roon wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 18:12
De Jokke wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 13:02
For those interested:

the 2.0 spec should give 1,5 tenth
the 2.1 spec should give 2 tenths

Lewis also talked about "lots of real positive developments coming through in the future" (for W09) but for now keeping our heads down.

That may have been why they weren't in a rush delivering the engine upgrades. They knew they had power units in the pipeline that would allow them to walk away with the rest of the season. If anyone's going to introduce unbeatable engines this season, it will be them. They've been doing it for four years, with this one odd delay that coincides with significant engine formula changes. From earlier this year:

roon wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 23:01
Summary of some of the more interesting additions to the 2018 technical regulations. Revisions in pink.
https://i.imgur.com/CliEUbf.jpg

adrianjordan

zibby43 wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 23:12
Vanja #66 wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 22:14
Mercedes made that obvious with signing Bottas in the first place.
Who else were they going to sign?
As the reigning champions with every expectation of being in the title fight last year (given this happened at end of 2016)....they could probably have signed anyone they wanted if they were willing to open their wallet.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

zibby43
zibby43

adrianjordan wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 20:14
As the reigning champions with every expectation of being in the title fight last year (given this happened at end of 2016)....they could probably have signed anyone they wanted if they were willing to open their wallet.
That's simply not true. I'm talking about Bottas' recent signing. Mercedes was blindsided by Rosberg's retirement when Bottas was initially signed.

Name some drivers that weren't already bound by contracts and demonstrably better than Bottas at the time of the signing.

WaikeCU

zibby43 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 05:11
adrianjordan wrote:
Name some drivers that weren't already bound by contracts and demonstrably better than Bottas at the time of the signing.
Robert Kubica?

He said in the podcast that he already knew that he was going to be in a Ferrari in 2012 and that he just wanted to do a rally (which eventually led to his accident). In the future it wouldn't have been possible to do rallying, because Ferrari won't let their drivers do other racing activities besides F1. At that time he was set to drive for Lotus in 2011 and was right before the start of Winter testing.

Jolle
Jolle

WaikeCU wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 10:10
zibby43 wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
Robert Kubica?

He said in the podcast that he already knew that he was going to be in a Ferrari in 2012 and that he just wanted to do a rally (which eventually led to his accident). In the future it wouldn't have been possible to do rallying, because Ferrari won't let their drivers do other racing activities besides F1. At that time he was set to drive for Lotus in 2011 and was right before the start of Winter testing.
What Kubica to do with the vacant Mercedes seat from 2017/2018? He was and still is a big unknown as a full time racing driver after his accident. Mercedes did test him by the way in ‘15 I think in their sim.
Besides, Hamilton performs best with some Finnish blood next to him :P

WaikeCU

Jolle wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 10:54
WaikeCU wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Robert Kubica?

What Kubica to do with the vacant Mercedes seat from 2017/2018? He was and still is a big unknown as a full time racing driver after his accident. Mercedes did test him by the way in ‘15 I think in their sim.
Oh ffs I misread that totally... Way too early to read and reply after a long night #-o

Jenson Button?

I think Button might have been a good pick even though he announced his sabbatical. Lewis and Jenson know eachother well since the Mclaren days, knows how to race in dry and wet conditions, knows how to win Championships and he already knows the team in Brackley, so he knows how they work. It would have been a good 'temporary' replacement for Rosberg, so Merc could assess a full season if they would stick with Jenson for another season or by then find a long term replacement for the seat.

Big Tea

WaikeCU wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 11:47
Jolle wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 10:54
WaikeCU wrote:

Robert Kubica?

Oh ffs I misread that totally... Way too early to read and reply after a long night #-o

Jenson Button?

I think Button might have been a good pick even though he announced his sabbatical. Lewis and Jenson know eachother well since the Mclaren days, knows how to race in dry and wet conditions, knows how to win Championships and he already knows the team in Brackley, so he knows how they work. It would have been a good 'temporary' replacement for Rosberg, so Merc could assess a full season if they would stick with Jenson for another season or by then find a long term replacement for the seat.
I think if Merc had really wanted a driver that already had a contract, as long as it was not with Ferrari, they would have worked something out.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

gdogg371
gdogg371

Mercedes seem to be clawing their way back towards being the most competitive chassis over the past couple of races. What is that being attributed to? Wasn't there last engine upgrade a few rounds back, or is it aero related? Was great seeing the Mercs going well round Singapore, when they have been so poor there in the main...

Phil

Toto Wolff interview on Beyond the Grid

A lot of very good insight, about him as a person, the management, Nico/Lewis relationship, Lewis today etc.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

gdogg371 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 12:50
Mercedes seem to be clawing their way back towards being the most competitive chassis over the past couple of races. What is that being attributed to? Wasn't there last engine upgrade a few rounds back, or is it aero related? Was great seeing the Mercs going well round Singapore, when they have been so poor there in the main...
from what I've read, it's Aero upgrades as well as mapping changes to the engine between races. From what I've read it sounds like they are continually Dyno testing the current spec engines in brixworth. If something shows a performance improvement with no hit to reliability and they implement it.
197 104 103 7