2018 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 5-7 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
notsofast
notsofast

Re: 2018 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 5-7 October

hollus wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 15:58
On the Versappen-Raikkonen incident, I find it ironic that Verstappen got the penalty for "not rejoining safely" but, somehow, not anyting for "causing a collision", "forcing a driver off the track" or "gaining an advantage". At least one of those three could have been easily added. Is there a rule against handing in two penalties for the same maneuver?
My guess is that the other three violations were considered "lap 1 incidents" by the stewards.

timbo
timbo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 20:01
F1NAC wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 10:38
50 wins for Lewis... In a Mercedes only... I would like to see him in a dog of a car at least 1 season before he retires.
Watch the first half of 2009 or the 2011 Korean GP.
2009 Australian GP, maybe? And why Korean GP and not Indian GP from the same year? (Indian just came to mind first but when I googled to refresh the memory, it appeared I totally forgot four other Massa-Hamilton get-togethers)

To me, he is untouchable when things are right, but it's not like he is always "there".

PlatinumZealot

timbo wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 20:16
PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 20:01
F1NAC wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 10:38
50 wins for Lewis... In a Mercedes only... I would like to see him in a dog of a car at least 1 season before he retires.
Watch the first half of 2009 or the 2011 Korean GP.
2009 Australian GP, maybe? And why Korean GP and not Indian GP from the same year? (Indian just came to mind first but when I googled to refresh the memory, it appeared I totally forgot four other Massa-Hamilton get-togethers)

To me, he is untouchable when things are right, but it's not like he is always "there".
He drove the Korean GP with a broken rear sway bar that's why.

Statistically,even before his time at Mercedes he was the most consistent driver. Hamilton's main problem in regards to people's perception is that his "off days" are held against a higher standard than the rest.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Shrieker

WaikeCU wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 18:09
Did Lewis not do that as well with Nico?
Am I missing something here ? Was talking about a driver blackmailing the team with going to the FIA, unless they demoted his team mate at the time (Hamilton) to 2nd fiddle. His team mate who was leading the championship.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

timbo
timbo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 20:42
Statistically,even before his time at Mercedes he was the most consistent driver. Hamilton's main problem in regards to people's perception is that his "off days" are held against a higher standard than the rest.
I dunno, we should probably agree to disagree but I am not sure by which metric you would call him "the most consistent".

PS, I googled and the sway bar incident actually happened in 2012 Korean GP which Hamilton finished 10th.
Again, not saying he is a bad or inconsistent driver.

TAG

timbo wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 21:20
I dunno, we should probably agree to disagree but I am not sure by which metric you would call him "the most consistent".
I think this year's metronomic metric especially when compared to the other 4 time WDC he was battling with for the first half of the season. Some people would also say that a 55% podium finish rate over 200 some odd races is pretty consistent.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

timbo
timbo

TAG wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 21:28
I think this year's metronomic metric especially when compared to the other 4 time WDC he was battling with for the first half of the season. Some people would also say that a 55% podium finish rate over 200 some odd races is pretty consistent.
The post I was replying specifically mentioned his McLaren years.

NathanOlder

I really want to know about this Hamilton blackmailing Nico ?!?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Shrieker

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 22:58
I really want to know about this Hamilton blackmailing Nico ?!?
The closest I can come up with is Roscoe, if that counts...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

cooken
cooken

How on earth discussion of the 2018 Japan GP concerns Rosberg I'm sure I'll never know.

There was clumsiness all over the track today, looked like amateur hour. Rivaled only by the discussion going on in here.

iotar__

cooken wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 23:47
How on earth discussion of the 2018 Japan GP concerns Rosberg I'm sure I'll never know.

There was clumsiness all over the track today, looked like amateur hour. Rivaled only by the discussion going on in here.
Same way silly season thread is about Hamilton going to Ferrari just after signing giant $$ Mercedes deal.

Anyhow, Coulthard is insufferable. He argues that Verstappen took back racing line. RACING LINE?!
- it's not a racing line if you cut the damn corner after outbraking yourself, is it?
- It's not a racing line when you leave the track and come back unsafely into the path of the car that's right behind you ON THE DAMN PROPER LEGAL RACING LINE :wink: to prevent the overtake by causing a collison and damaging it, is it?
- Is the racing line sideways across the track by any chance? As long as you aim for the piece of track that is a racing line it's all fine :wtf:? What the hell? Are there any limits to Red Bull salemen's world of abusrd?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Well.....

Hands down to Lewis, astonishing weekend.

As for everything else: what bowl of a froot loop is Vettel becoming? Man, it's just embarassing. He's throwing his WDC completely out the window. I'd say pretty much it's decided now.
This is not gonna be pretty for him next year.

As for the 'punishments' : those were absolutely ludacris. The one given to Max was earned. Even if it could be a bit harsh, there's no dancing around it that it definately fits the category of not returning to the track safely. he would have lost his place to Kimi though.

but as for Vettel nog getting punished, that is just bonkers. He dived into an impossible corner, HIT verstappen, caused damage, how on earth does that not translate into at least a 5 sec penalty in 'causing a collision' ? It was a no brainer. It wouldn't have done much in the end if they gave it, but it would have been a serving of justice or atleast credibility to the FIA.

instead, Alonso got a penalty? WOW!

And Magnussen's move just as much deserved a penalty.

All aside,

pretty awesome race from Max, think he should have pushed a tad more in the end. Hell, when Bottas made his initial braking error near Alonso, that was the moment to grasp. Should've done the all-in party mode right there, right then. In DRS range, Bottas under fresh pressure, could have been a game changer right there. Still, great result from Max, and Daniel aswell.
He deserves all the credz too for his race.

Same for Gasly. Toro Rosso pace with the new Honda engine was absolutely surprisingly positive and a shame they didn't get any points. Mclaren must be eating crow, hats, and pulling their hair out right now.

About Mclaren, as usual, VanDoorne more of the usual disappointment.

This race was above interesting as it's a classic track, nearing the end of this season, but showing a lot of what to expect next year;
Honda's improvement is phenomenal, so Toro Rosso will be in a even better shape next year. RedBull will get a good engine by then, so that's gonna toy around in the Ferrari and Merc department. Meanwhile, Mclaren is going backwards. Williams will stay plum last. Force India still great team, but Honda has made a huge leap. Toro Rosso is gonna be having a big match with them next season. Unfortunately, Ricciardo has made a huge mistake in going to Renault, and Sainz will be another talent lost to a slow Mclaren.

Leclerc once again showing his qualities. He's gonna be great @ Ferrari. Kimi will do fine at Alfa offcourse, but i'm feeling that i'd really would have rather seen Vettel out, and Kimi alongside LeClerc.

It's impressive to know that Hamilton could snatch the WDC next race in Austin.

Which makes it even more bonkers that Ferrari didn't have Raikkonen wait for Vettel. Even though i think Seb's chances are totally out the window, it would be pretty paintful if Vettel loses out to Hamilton in the final race with 1 point difference. As switching in Japan would make Vettel the WDC with 1 point. Still, doubtfull that'll happen.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Cannonballer
Cannonballer

"For me, the gap was there - otherwise I wouldn't do it," Vettel regarding the incident with Verstappen.

Isn't the gap that he said he saw illusory because Verstappen is still ahead and therefore entitled to the racing line?
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........

max_speed
max_speed

i think ferrari should fire Vettel and hire Alonso back if they want to win championship. "Vettel" is of not that caliber. this is pretty embarrassing , i was damn sure this year it is going to be "red" , it hurts me so much.

WaikeCU

Shrieker wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 20:44
WaikeCU wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 18:09
Did Lewis not do that as well with Nico?
Am I missing something here ? Was talking about a driver blackmailing the team with going to the FIA, unless they demoted his team mate at the time (Hamilton) to 2nd fiddle. His team mate who was leading the championship.
Then I misunderstood, sorry. I was talking about Lewis at some stage complained how they were handling both within the team and how the quality of work was getting worse, because they were sharing each others data, but with both playing tricks on each other the quality of car data was diminishing. Also the reason why they swapped crew members before the 2016 season and how the team handled the Barcelona incident really got to Lewis. Remember Lewis saying about if he’s going to publish his autobiography that we should read it? Ofc, None of these things went to the FIA.

There’s that interview with Lauda that also shows a lot of insight on the interteam battle during the Nico-Lewis period.