2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

subcritical71 wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 15:33
I have to think they will do better. This years car was rushed out the gate with the switch from Honda, hasn't been developed (according to the drivers) since May, gear ratios are not optimized... These are just what the public knows. If they truly have not developed since May then I would hope those efforts are going towards 2019 instead. I can't imagine they are just sitting back. But who knows, I guess we'll get our first glimpse in testing next February!
Jup, we'll know from the first day if it's a good car or not. I think they will do much, much better. At some tracks the current McLaren was setting around the same laptime as last years car, while the Renault is way ahead of the Honda of last year. It shows that the chassis actually got worse (especially when you look at the tires that were used at some of the tracks). That for me confirms that something has gone very wrong with the 2018 chassis. So I guess there is a lot of potential for gains. After testing I was already afraid that it would become a long year, even when the results of the first races were good, the pace wasnt'.

Jackles-UK

Every team will lose a chunk of time with the updated rules for the FW, brake ducts, blown axles etc. Teams that have optimised their aero (particularly the Y250 vortex routing) probably have the most to lose, hopefully that’ll bring the midfield a bit closer to the top three.

McLaren have big time to gain in the PU integration, packaging, side pod design, bargeboard detailing and so on. I’m optimistic about progress for 2019 but realistic that there’s very little hope to have a winning car immediately, consistent Q3 appearances & points finishes would be plenty enough initially, building towards a better 2020 or 2021 (although I have said this every year since 2015 now I think!).

M840TR
M840TR

Jackles-UK wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 18:44
Every team will lose a chunk of time with the updated rules for the FW, brake ducts, blown axles etc. Teams that have optimised their aero (particularly the Y250 vortex routing) probably have the most to lose, hopefully that’ll bring the midfield a bit closer to the top three.

McLaren have big time to gain in the PU integration, packaging, side pod design, bargeboard detailing and so on. I’m optimistic about progress for 2019 but realistic that there’s very little hope to have a winning car immediately, consistent Q3 appearances & points finishes would be plenty enough initially, building towards a better 2020 or 2021 (although I have said this every year since 2015 now I think!).
According to Pirelli teams will at least maintain same lap-times if not get faster at the start of next year. Two main factors are engine and tyre development.

godlameroso

What we know factually is that it was an improvement, it also required repackaging the chassis to make it fit. We don't have any pictures of the new power unit, so we don't know what changes were required to repackage the power unit. That it had teething issues is understandable, but the issues didn't result in the engine blowing up or anything drastic like that. We also know that engine upgrades take time to not only develop but manufacture and implement as well. So devoting more time for a more concrete step might not be a horrible strategy for Renault.

My biggest worry is for McLaren, and the fact that they'll be using a different fuel supplier than Renault, If I were Renault, I'd try to get both Petrobras and BP to work together to develop the fuel for the power unit in tandem.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Jackles-UK wrote:

I have serious doubts about that, the cars will get draggier, but the rear wing will make more downforce, and the front wing won't lose too much performance. The biggest performance hit is the smaller bargeboards, but even that won't be that big of a deal because the main downforce generating aspect of the bargeboards will be alive and well. Not to mention diffuser dimensions stay the same. Trust me, you'll be surprised how little the pecking order or ultimate performance of the top cars will change next year. It's more likely that the field gets closer together than the possibility that the cars lose a significant amount of time. The inboard section of the wing responsible for the Y250 doesn't change, only the outwash section does, but in turn the wing itself is wider, and there's still room for creative interpretation.
Saishū kōnā

charliesmithhd

Jackles-UK wrote:

I’m hopeling for a red bull 2018 style sidepod aero for 2019. If you look at their 2017 sidepod compared to 2018, the 2017 mirrors kind of what mclaren have now have now

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I really hope the early switch pays off. There'll be no Fernando to drag the performance out of the car anymore. The new guys will need a decent car to do a good job.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

trinidefender
trinidefender

McLaren Nissan

And by that I mean I wonder if there is any hope that maybe Nissan can come in and provide financial and engineering assistance to Renault? The two companies are already heavily linked.

I know the answer is probably a solid no but all the same one can hope

Peter1919
Peter1919

trinidefender wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 19:57
McLaren Nissan

And by that I mean I wonder if there is any hope that maybe Nissan can come in and provide financial and engineering assistance to Renault? The two companies are already heavily linked.

Renault own a conrolling 44% stake in Nissan, so not much chance that Nissan could bring in more cash as if Renault wanted that to happen they would have already made it happen.

RonDennis
RonDennis

trinidefender wrote:
McLaren Nissan

:lol:

godlameroso

Knowing Nissan they'd try to make it front wheel drive.
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

trinidefender wrote:
McLaren Nissan

Apart from that being impossible, since Renault more or less own Nissan, it's a pretty poor name, Mclaren Nissan. Sounds like something for a Sunday drive in the countryside. Mclaren Infiniti though...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

M840TR
M840TR

Nissan handles Formula E while Renault F1. End debate.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 13:04
Think the debate will go onto Infiniti! hehehehe

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 14:15
M840TR wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 13:04
Think the debate will go onto Infiniti! hehehehe
I see what you did there... :D =D>

Meanwhile, Renault have announced an all new PU for 2019, so I believe that means layout. I wonder if this has been known long enough, as to not compromise Mclaren's early switch. They didn't give details, whether they've conformed to the Mercedes/Honda layout or stuck with their Ferrari-esque layout with some changes.