[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Team_Bart

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Since I redesigned my engine inlet, after the simulation, the volume flow in there is not visible anymore. Not in the HTML file and also not in the text files (I found a file were HEX en exhaust flow were presented). Anyway, the engine_in.stl is in the special_bc folder and is also visible in the MantiumFlow GUI. Does anyone knows what is going wrong?

LVDH

Team_Bart wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 15:05
Since I redesigned my engine inlet, after the simulation, the volume flow in there is not visible anymore. Not in the HTML file and also not in the text files (I found a file were HEX en exhaust flow were presented). Anyway, the engine_in.stl is in the special_bc folder and is also visible in the MantiumFlow GUI. Does anyone knows what is going wrong?
If OF tries to log patches that are not in the mesh, it crashes. That is of coarse very nice. MantiumFlow tries to detect if a surface will later be visible in the mesh as patch. Sometimes it fails. That causes this surface to not get monitored. You can send me your stl but I will not able to look into it until next Tuesday. I assume it is a symmetrical shape in the middle of the car. Just pull a node on the right hand side a mm outwards (I know the rules stipulate symmetrical parts). For now it could be a good workaround though.

CAEdevice wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 14:55
machin wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 13:47
Andre, you were way ahead of the curve... if you had continued as a competitor I fear you might have ruined the competition! 😂
I wish we can race togheter with LDVH and Chris (and Variante, JJR, TF, ...). Maybe a "single race" event, an "All Star game" with better mesh refinement, transient simulations etc?
Yes after taking a bit to learn, I figured out how to destroy everyone. Before I could prove it, the competition was over for me. Too bad...
I am wondering about sending in a car for Pikes Peak. There will be surprises for that race anyways.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 16:46
Yes after taking a bit to learn, I figured out how to destroy everyone. Before I could prove it, the competition was over for me. Too bad...
I am wondering about sending in a car for Pikes Peak. There will be surprises for that race anyways.
I am not so sure. I studied Variante's and JJR car very deeply but I could transfer to my project only few concepts . On the contrary, take the "intro car" I would have expected two o three teams running with it, with none or small optimization, but only Vortex has been inspired (with worse performances than the original). Also consider that the Mantium Racer has been shown completely in the last two years.

In conclusion: your car would be welcome in my opinion.

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 17:03
In conclusion: your car would be welcome in my opinion.
I think you would cry. Maybe I should put my car where my mouth is...

CAEdevice

Nice idea, I can't wait (but I have to think about JJr and Variante meanwhile)

Team_Bart

LVDH wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 16:46
Team_Bart wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 15:05
If OF tries to log patches that are not in the mesh, it crashes. That is of coarse very nice. MantiumFlow tries to detect if a surface will later be visible in the mesh as patch. Sometimes it fails. That causes this surface to not get monitored. You can send me your stl but I will not able to look into it until next Tuesday. I assume it is a symmetrical shape in the middle of the car. Just pull a node on the right hand side a mm outwards (I know the rules stipulate symmetrical parts). For now it could be a good workaround though.
Thanks, I'll try to run a case with a slightly modified version of this inlet today. I'll let you know if this solves the problem. I uploaded the (old) stl files in your dropbox anyway.

Team_Bart

Team_Bart wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 12:48
Thanks, I'll try to run a case with a slightly modified version of this inlet today. I'll let you know if this solves the problem. I uploaded the (old) stl files in your dropbox anyway.
I made the inlet a bit wider but still it was not visible unfortunately.

LVDH

Hi guys,
so I was pretty busy lately (like always). Looks like I did not miss too much over here. The next race will be soon. Anyone still having issues with MantiumFlow?

I will be presenting our nice championship in Sweden soon:
http://www.tfd.chalmers.se/~hani/OFGBG18/
Would obviously be cool if some of you would also come. Often OF conferences costs quite some money, while this one will be for free. I will be staying at a hostel for two nights, so there again it will not be very expensive.

LVDH

Team_Bart wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 10:01
Team_Bart wrote:
OK, I see there is an unfixed problem. No idea how I missed this. I will see what I can do.

CAEdevice

Next race is coming. I admit I am studing the cooling ducts images Variante showed in the article about his winning car... but my hx will not be in front of the car anyway...

LVDH

LVDH wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 13:24
Team_Bart wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 10:01
Team_Bart wrote:
OK, I see there is an unfixed problem. No idea how I missed this. I will see what I can do.
This is fixed now. It was only a matter of changing a tolerance setting.
I have also included a new feature: You can now change the color map of the post-processing. This even works on simulations that are already done. In the GUI, you can change the color map, click apply, build the case again and then post-process it. I hope you like the "Miami" option.

Team_Bart

LVDH wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 17:21
This is fixed now. It was only a matter of changing a tolerance setting.
I have also included a new feature: You can now change the color map of the post-processing. This even works on simulations that are already done. In the GUI, you can change the color map, click apply, build the case again and then post-process it. I hope you like the "Miami" option.
Thanks! Hope I can try it today. If I don't need to make to big changes to the engine inlet, we can make a big step in performance for next race!

Team_Bart

Team_Bart wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 10:44
Thanks! Hope I can try it today. If I don't need to make to big changes to the engine inlet, we can make a big step in performance for next race!
Works fine now! You only got me when MFlow shuts down after finishing the simulation, I thought my computer restarted and the simulation was gone :D .
I think I already asked before, but can't find it back: during all my simulations, there is a large shock in residual after, say 575 iterations. It is also visible in the other graphs but not that big, however those seems to become a bit less stable. Can you tell me what is going on here? Does it change the solver scheme or something?

For the MVRC team, I was wondering for what mistake I got a warning last race or is this a typo?

machin

Team_Bart wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 21:34
For the MVRC team, I was wondering for what mistake I got a warning last race or is this a typo?
It seems you made an error with the submission... did you miss out your front wheel fairings...?

https://mantiumchallenge.com/scrutineer ... pang-2018/
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LVDH

Team_Bart wrote:
Team_Bart wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 10:44
Works fine now! You only got me when MFlow shuts down after finishing the simulation, I thought my computer restarted and the simulation was gone :D .
I think I already asked before, but can't find it back: during all my simulations, there is a large shock in residual after, say 575 iterations. It is also visible in the other graphs but not that big, however those seems to become a bit less stable. Can you tell me what is going on here? Does it change the solver scheme or something?
That is probably the switch from first to second order schemes. In the system folder there is a file called "fUpdate" or similar. You can check it out.

Team_Bart wrote:
From reading the message in the post and memory I think you front suspension was visible. Somehow it was clear though that is was supposed to be in a different position. You have to send us the correct position you want the suspension to be in. Next time you mess that up will lead to a penalty. Anyone with warning should keep a list and always double-check the submissions.