General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Snorked
Snorked

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Wouter

Can someone tel me what the article is about or a link to the article?
The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

Wouter wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 10:09
Typical Honda Promises. Nothing new this time. Anything new is gonna be kept secret until after the testing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ispano6

PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 16:35
Wouter wrote:
Typical Honda Promises. Nothing new this time. Anything new is gonna be kept secret until after the testing.
Strange, I read the entire article word for word and didn't see anything about promises. Only about expectations, and even some things I didn't read anywhere else but in this article, like:
1. The 2019 PU is an evolution of the PU introduced in the last race of the season, with significant increase in potential. (Not sure why there is emphasis that its an evolution of the engine introduced in the last race of the season, I don't recall them taking penalties, but Gasly did have a "car problem", a little more on that later)
2. Honda never ever claimed that they have surpassed Renault, and that it's small talk that the press are quoting Marko as saying Honda is already ahead. In fact, many false Honda promises/claims are made in the press, and altogether it's exaggerated.
3. (No surprises here) but Red Bull is a true top team that understands all factors at play, where as teams like Toro Rosso and McLaren are left scratching their heads(for a few races compared to RB immediately knowing) when a good result happens. Emphasis is on MB and RB, which are the only two teams that understand all factors at play. (Even Ferrari is lacking in this regard.) Honda is looking to RB to gain understanding in these areas, or at least, understand what sets these two teams apart from the rest.
4. The PU failure in the last race was particularly regretful (but more or less necessary to understand on track behavior)
5. Toto Wolff apparently came up to him and said he expects Red Bull Honda to be winning races next year (... and that Honda will make next year interesting)
6. That MB is reaching near the limit of the current formula and are trying things by trial and error (which is the spirit of racing).
7. Honda Sakura is not necessarily doubling man power to support both teams, and will work with making engine construction and teardown simpler and efficient for both Red Bull teams
8. Honda is concentrating on ensuring that all power units are assembled the same way by equally skilled staff so that each unit is identical in spec and performance
9. Honda's development for winter testing is on schedule.
10. The RB15 car development is said to be going particularly well from what he hears.
Last edited by ispano6 on 31 Jan 2019, 18:52, edited 4 times in total.

Wouter

ispano6 wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 06:38
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wouter wrote:

Strange, I read the entire article word for word and didn't see anything about promises. Only about expectations, and even some things I didn't read anywhere else but in this article, like:
1. The 2019 PU is an evolution ............
2. .......
3. .......
@ ispano6,
Thank you very much for your excellent answer.
Very good that you indicate that Honda never expresses promises, because they never do that in the media!

Also great that you indicate the statements that you have not read / heard anywhere else.

I find your message very enlightening and I want to thank you for your comprehensive translation.
The Power of Dreams!

lio007

Wouter wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 10:07
ispano6 wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 06:38
PlatinumZealot wrote:

1. The 2019 PU is an evolution ............
2. .......
3. .......
@ ispano6,
Thank you very much for your excellent answer.
Very good that you indicate that Honda never expresses promises, because they never do that in the media!

Also great that you indicate the statements that you have not read / heard anywhere else.

I find your message very enlightening and I want to thank you for your comprehensive translation.
Agreed. Great work, thank you ispano!

Capharol
Capharol

A big like from me aswell

HPD

thanks @ ispano6 and @Snorked.
I hope Marko controls his words

mzso
mzso

HPD wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 14:01
thanks @ ispano6 and @Snorked.
I hope Marko controls his words
I don't think Marko talks nonsense, but rather bases his opinion on data.
I think Honda's just very cautious in claiming anything, because of past blunders. And there might be a small chance that things go wrong.

ispano6

Marko might be right, but Renault finished 4th in the season so Honda does not consider themselves ahead. Obviously beating MB and Ferrari are the targets for RB and Renault is right there.
The tone of the article is of excitement and anticipation for the Barcelona test.
The development for the season will obviously be determined by the results of the tests so they are eager to see how long they can run at full power etc.

Regarding the evolution of the PU used in the last race, I suppose that within the last 4 races of the season saw different things being tried and perhaps a direction was decided and used at that race which either wasn't fully exploited or was still premature. Either way, Honda laments that they couldn't score points toward the end of the season. I recall they had decent testing mileage after the season ended with no issues with the PU but whether it was a PU or integration issue that caused Gasly's failure during the race wasn't elaborated on in the article.
So there was very likely measures that needed to be taken and understood to fix the issues, whether its the reducing of oscillations or improving of components to handle them for 2019. Perhaps IHI has improved turbo components in bearings and casings that Honda is eager to see put to the test.

HPD

The championship's head of TV and media Dean Locke:
"The Honda engines sounded really good last year. We've done some really exciting stuff on that."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14126 ... show-speed
:D

marmer
marmer

would any rules prevent them turning up with a engine model from last year assuming fitment is the same and bring in the new model as a back up incase the new model has gremlins on day one they could have it packaged up and ready to go for a rapid swap to allow red bull track time

hasika
hasika

Thanks @ ispano6 and @Snorked.
Yamamoto say that although some people say Honda is already ahead of Renault,but he dont think so,because the result of race is all in the sport and Renault finished 4th in the season.Only when Toro Rosso can beat Reanult during the race weekend regularly,he can say honda is ahead.

Stef
Stef

marmer wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 21:38
would any rules prevent them turning up with a engine model from last year assuming fitment is the same and bring in the new model as a back up incase the new model has gremlins on day one they could have it packaged up and ready to go for a rapid swap to allow red bull track time
I'd put the newer one in the TR for the first day, to check it thouroughly. And the one with known reliability in the RB.

Espresso
Espresso

hasika wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 04:34
Thanks @ ispano6 and @Snorked.
Yamamoto say that although some people say Honda is already ahead of Renault,but he dont think so,because the result of race is all in the sport and Renault finished 4th in the season.Only when Toro Rosso can beat Reanult during the race weekend regularly,he can say honda is ahead.
Renault yearly announces a new engine. This year's announcement is "Everything is new except the power steering".
Might as well be Budowski with a little black book having Renault see the light and suddenly decide to abandon/ditch the existing engine concept and build a new engine on a totally new concept.....in all silence last season....('cause no sensible manufacturer would apply a new concept for just 2 years unless they knew it would pay itself back.)

Honda on the other hand has been developing an engine 'in public' with STR. And it seems one of the last developments resulted in a power gain (oscilations) beyond projected.

So yes, Honda and Renault can be compared to the 2018 engines...but that's where it ends.

It's comparing apples with bricks... :lol: a.k.a. nothing to compare. Last season's result have zero value for the future.

So for 2019 we have to see on track how this one is going to fan out.
But it looks like both manufacturers will have an engine stronger then the one they had in the 2018 season.
Will be an interesting start of the season, especially if they manage to creep up closer to Mercedes and Ferrari!
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide