F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jozsusz
Jozsusz

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

zibby43 wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 21:05
Marc has some of the most reasonable and technically sound video analysis out there. Highly recommend subscribing.

https://youtu.be/dGeMqnzumss
Whata great guy, and so lovely doggos! :)
Thanks for the sharing! :)

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

LM10 wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 20:29

Comparing the times of Mercedes (especially Hamilton's) with Vettel's, it's visible that Vettel seemed to have pushed more in the first sectors, thus losing out in S3 on the sensible C5s whereas it seems Hamilton has done the opposite. Bit of a different approach. However, that's just one of many possible explanations. We don't really know.

I'm almost sure this was the case last season as well

zibby43
zibby43

Jozsusz wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 21:30
zibby43 wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 21:05
Marc has some of the most reasonable and technically sound video analysis out there. Highly recommend subscribing.

https://youtu.be/dGeMqnzumss
Whata great guy, and so lovely doggos! :)
Thanks for the sharing! :)
Glad you enjoyed it! He's one of the good guys in this sport. Former McLaren mechanic.

nevill3

Sky sports summary of testing they said they crunched some data regarding the long runs/race sims for Ferrari and Mercedes and Ferrari were about 5 seconds quicker over a full race distance. That says to me that both teams were either evenly matched or running to lap deltas or both. Lets hope they are evenly matched and it will be similar to last year where each teams shines on different weekends/circuits and we have a season long fight between at least four drivers in the two teams. If Red Bull and the others can get involved to take the odd win maybe reliability will decide the championship this year just like 2016.

Here's hoping for a spectaular season that keeps us all on the edge of our seats. All I have taken from this winters testing is that no one has found a silver bullet and the status quo remains. Red Bull's experiment with new engines looks to not have backfired and we have not lost any teams in the off season. All is well in my F1 world
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

NathanOlder

nevill3 wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 22:07
Sky sports summary of testing they said they crunched some data regarding the long runs/race sims for Ferrari and Mercedes and Ferrari were about 5 seconds quicker over a full race distance. That says to me that both teams were either evenly matched or running to lap deltas or both. Lets hope they are evenly matched and it will be similar to last year where each teams shines on different weekends/circuits and we have a season long fight between at least four drivers in the two teams. If Red Bull and the others can get involved to take the odd win maybe reliability will decide the championship this year just like 2016.

Here's hoping for a spectaular season that keeps us all on the edge of our seats. All I have taken from this winters testing is that no one has found a silver bullet and the status quo remains. Red Bull's experiment with new engines looks to not have backfired and we have not lost any teams in the off season. All is well in my F1 world
I recall earlier in the week, one of the teams or media, came up with Ferrari's race pace was 5 seconds quicker than Bottas' race pace. But as I said at the time, Bottas is usually 20 seconds behind Lewis, so that sky prediction should say Hamilton 15 seconds ahead of Ferrari :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

nevill3 wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 22:07

No one did any number crunching, I believe this is what AMuS heard from someone in Mercedes, number probably pulled out of thin air.

Tzk
Tzk

Toto suggested that Ferrari was 5sec faster.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

RZS10 wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 20:35
Laps by driver/team/engine
https://i.imgur.com/oHh9ztd.png
In another thread, someone said that Mercedes team must be annoyed that Hamlton doesn't test etc. Bang! 100 laps more than anyone else.

Sorry, couldn't resist a bit of fan lad rubbish.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Anyone else find the lack of miles for Racing Point a little odd ? It was almost like they weren't even at the test ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

strad

I think the miles appear to only represent engines suppliers. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Does anyone by chance have each team's fastest time achieved on each tyre? I know it's a bit of a stretch to get that, but I was just curious to know.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 22:47
I think the miles appear to only represent engines suppliers. :wink:
Drivers, teams and engines are all listed separately... :wink:

LM10
LM10

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 22:28
RZS10 wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 20:35
Laps by driver/team/engine
https://i.imgur.com/oHh9ztd.png
In another thread, someone said that Mercedes team must be annoyed that Hamlton doesn't test etc. Bang! 100 laps more than anyone else.

Sorry, couldn't resist a bit of fan lad rubbish.
The person who wrote that comment is a Mercedes fan and probably also fan of Hamilton. He told that Hamilton doesn't care about testing. My guess is that he thinks Hamilton just wants to race and finds testing boring (like many drivers do).

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Hamilton is quite open about his distaste for testing. But, like all of the others that would rather be doing other stuff, he turns up and does his bit. I doubt there's a front line F1 driver that likes testing.

godlameroso

This is a legacy making year. Ferrari and Mercedes are close enough that anything can affect the outcome.

Hamilton can win another title with a slightly slower car, and cement his name as one of the greatest of all time. Vettel has a do or die moment to get a Ferrari championship. Leclerc has a shot at being a rookie sensation. It's Bottas last shot at a title. Will Honda and Red Bull take that final step to become race winners again? Can Renault turn up the wick and fight with the big boys? Can the new boys beat the old guard in the most hotly contested midfield we have ever seen? Can McLaren get on the right track and does Norris have the right stuff? Will Alonso come back, and who would he replace?

How will the cars develop, and if this season pans out will they rush out 2021 regulations? Will the MGU-H stay? Do we really need new entrants if the quality of the racing improves?

There is a big sense of anticipation looming over f1.
Saishū kōnā