McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL34

This is a chart with the levels of downforce required per GP/Track... I guess that if the team has aimed for a low downforce setup or a car that is more suited for circuits with a low downforce requirements, it could be a in a good position more often than not... Bahrain should be a good test for this theory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoranF1
GoranF1

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 20:42
This is a chart with the levels of downforce required per GP/Track... I guess that if the team has aimed for a low downforce setup or a car that is more suited for circuits with a low downforce requirements, it could be a in a good position more often than not... Bahrain should be a good test for this theory.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 2a17d1.jpg

Old Hockenhaim .... -1
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:

It's possible they run low down force because they cant get enough df on the front wing and therefore cant increase the rear wing too much.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

M840TR
M840TR

mwillems wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 05:21
SmallSoldier wrote:

It's possible they run low down force because they cant get enough df on the front wing and therefore cant increase the rear wing too much.
Can you elaborate your point a bit?

jh199

M840TR wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 13:52
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I believe he is trying to say that Mclaren have more downforce generating potential at the rear of the car but they are not exploiting this potential because they cannot balance the downforce at the front end. If they do in fact produce their maximum downforce at the rear of the car, the car would then be unbalanced as they cannot produce the necessary downforce at the front of the car. This would, of course, lead to a car with a lot of understeer. I think this is what mwilliams is saying. It is always easier to produce the necessary downforce with the front wing however so I personally don't believe this reasoning.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 14:00
_cerber1 wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 09:48
Horror, it looks like the chassis and engine suffered very badly.

https://radikal.ru
Well the monocoque probably didn't suffer anything since it's further ahead. The brake ducts, floor and diffuser might have. As for the engine, the mgu-K, manifold and wiring is definitely gone. There's a good chance the block might've been damaged as well.
You're allowed to replace wiring. You can also replace seals in some places. Don't forget the PUs have layers of shielding and the paint cracks with heat easily but. Agreed it doesn't look good.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

jh199 wrote:
M840TR wrote:
mwillems wrote:
I believe he is trying to say that Mclaren have more downforce generating potential at the rear of the car but they are not exploiting this potential because they cannot balance the downforce at the front end. If they do in fact produce their maximum downforce at the rear of the car, the car would then be unbalanced as they cannot produce the necessary downforce at the front of the car. This would, of course, lead to a car with a lot of understeer. I think this is what mwilliams is saying. It is always easier to produce the necessary downforce with the front wing however so I personally don't believe this reasoning.
I have 2 guesses (so they could be way off the mark)... But, when designing a new car, you should can either shoot for a design that maximizes performance in some type of races or that has average performance in a wide array of races.

I believe that Mclaren designed a car that should provide them good results in most medium to low downforce tracks with the intention of improving the car for the high downforce tracks during the year (finishing with a car that works well in a wider array of races)... Going through this design path allows them to have a larger probability of point making opportunities during the season (because the amount of tracks that require low downforce setups exceeds the tracks that require high downforce).

This is something that Williams did back in 2014-2015 if I’m not wrong... Had a car that was very quick in low downforce tracks, but struggled in high downforce and ended third both years in the Championship.

M840TR
M840TR

jh199 wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 17:06
M840TR wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Yup. Their front wing design isn't that extreme anyway and they seemed to have resolved their understeer issues for quali in Melbourne. It's much more likely - as @smallsoldier pointed out - they're aiming for a car that works in most circuits; then slowly developing it into something with a wider working window throughout the season.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 18:31
M840TR wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 09:48
Horror, it looks like the chassis and engine suffered very badly.

https://radikal.ru
Well the monocoque probably didn't suffer anything since it's further ahead. The brake ducts, floor and diffuser might have. As for the engine, the mgu-K, manifold and wiring is definitely gone. There's a good chance the block might've been damaged as well.
You're allowed to replace wiring. You can also replace seals in some places. Don't forget the PUs have layers of shielding and the paint cracks with heat easily but. Agreed it doesn't look good.
Layers of shielding? This is the first I'm hearing about this...

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 20:34
diffuser wrote:
M840TR wrote:

It is usually to not allow the heat out. the gold sheeting.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 19:50
Interesting. Most of the time is lost in the corners and made up on the straights. I'm not sure this much focus on low-drag is beneficial for factors such as tyre deg etc.

https://i.redd.it/xpzecu8ckon21.png
I saw that, I thought it was BS. It's based on the race lap averages. By the end of the race most of the drivers were struggling to stay awake.

mwillems

M840TR wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 20:30
jh199 wrote:
M840TR wrote:

Yup. Their front wing design isn't that extreme anyway and they seemed to have resolved their understeer issues for quali in Melbourne. It's much more likely - as @smallsoldier pointed out - they're aiming for a car that works in most circuits; then slowly developing it into something with a wider working window throughout the season.
Yes it was a late night post. I am referring to the car being understeery. I'm not convinced it is gone yet but stand to be completely wrong. I don't think they would run the car to lose so much time in corners to gain a little speed on the straights because they wanted to, or it was the natural choice. I wonder if the balance issue was resolved by simply carrying less aero on the rear.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 22:17
M840TR wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 20:34
diffuser wrote:

It is usually to not allow the heat out. the gold sheeting.
But that's aft the monocoque to protect the fuel tank etc. Engine is pretty much exposed. It's cooled by the intercooler air which we see exited at the back.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 22:22
M840TR wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 19:50
Interesting. Most of the time is lost in the corners and made up on the straights. I'm not sure this much focus on low-drag is beneficial for factors such as tyre deg etc.

https://i.redd.it/xpzecu8ckon21.png
I saw that, I thought it was BS. It's based on the race lap averages. By the end of the race most of the drivers were struggling to stay awake.
If it is based on race data and not quali then it's a bit unreliable. Too many variables.

M840TR
M840TR

mwillems wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 23:12
M840TR wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 20:30
jh199 wrote:

Yes it was a late night post. I am referring to the car being understeery. I'm not convinced it is gone yet but stand to be completely wrong. I don't think they would run the car to lose so much time in corners to gain a little speed on the straights because they wanted to, or it was the natural choice. I wonder if the balance issue was resolved by simply carrying less aero on the rear.
Do you mean less wing angle?